Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Deadspin: Baltimore Radio Guy Loses His Mind Over John Riggins

MattFancy

So answer me this:

Why do "REDSKIN FANS" still chant the Orioles "O" during the national anthem at FEDEX field ?????

Because most people don't really know where that originates from. I had NO idea it was an Orioles thing growing up- lots of people did it at EVERY sports event I attended, and it wasn't until I read a thread on Extremeskins a couple years ago that I realized where the "O" came from and what it meant.

I still cringe at every Padres game waiting for someone to yell it out, but it never happens. I had thought it was normal all over the U.S.

i admit to having 'rooted' for the O's when cal was around, but i've always been a very casual fan of baseball. i've watched much more baseball since the nats have been around.

my feelings about the O's are mixed. i think that alot of people feel like their loyalty to the team for years has gone unrequited by the owner. he just doesnt appear to care about fielding a competitive team. that pisses people off.

now, DC has baseball and people have the option of not having to settle for that. not that there isnt love for the team or players- i think its more directed at the owner.

I get that. But some of us were never and never will be just "casual" baseball fans. We were diehard Orioles fans and always will be. As much as ownership can piss us off, there's nothing we can do about it. It sucks, but I would never ditch a team because of an owner, thats just me. A year ago, people were questioning whether the Nats were really trying to field a competitive team. Hell, Boswell tore up his season tickets.

I'm all for the Nats attracting more people to the game. But I think its becoming obvious that they pulled the more casual fans (in addition to retaining the old senators fans).

I'm all for the Nats attracting more people to the game. But I think its becoming obvious that they pulled the more casual fans (in addition to retaining the old senators fans).

Which is fine by me. Just don't give me crap for still being an Orioles fan is all I ask.

I find it humorous that someone decided to bring up "losing the Nats twice" to a conversation that was strictly about FOOTBALL. The bozo radio guy claimed that Baltimore was a better and more loyal FOOTBALL town than DC and the FACTS (dc supporting the Skns for 73 years and baltimore losing a team thanks to a lack of support) say otherwise.

I get that. But some of us were never and never will be just "casual" baseball fans. We were diehard Orioles fans and always will be. As much as ownership can piss us off, there's nothing we can do about it. It sucks, but I would never ditch a team because of an owner, thats just me. A year ago, people were questioning whether the Nats were really trying to field a competitive team. Hell, Boswell tore up his season tickets.

this is true. its funny with me- i dont feel about the skins anywhere near how i feel about the nats or O's. i totally get how you wouldnt ditch a team cuz of the owner- i wouldnt either. and i say that even though i think angelos has done just about everything possible to drive away fans (admittedly casual ones like me).

its really a totaly different thing with me. no way i change football allegiances. but with baseball? eh- owner sux, team sux. has so for about 13 years....washington gets a team....eh, may as well root for them. but while its exciting with the young studs they have coming up, i did buy some nats gear and have been following them since they came to DC.

in baseball, its tough anyhow. with no salary cap, it is tough for the royals and pirates to compete with the yankees and sox. i really think if that changed, i'd have more interest.

doesnt make much sense, i'm sure. and when i see 'casual' fans of the skins, i dont get them either :)

ya i'm bitter towards the O's (really towards their owner), respect the fans immensely for rooting for the team despite the fact that i dont see how they can compete, and i'll continue to watch more baseball cuz with a team in DC- especially with one in their young players looking so good- its more interesting.

when it comes down to it, i almost feel like by rooting for the nats, i'm telling angelos he can suck it for effing over the fans for the last decade plus. that kinda makes me happy.

so, go O's, go nats, eff angelos. sell the team, dick.

I am 41 years old and grew up a Redskins fan and Orioles fan. I did not ditch the O's when the Nat's came to DC. The reference earlier to ditching a team due to poor ownership can go both ways. Snyder has not provided a much better product than Angelos has to this point. Baseball will never mean as much to me personally as Football. Football is just a much more exciting sport. But I will still drive up 95 to the cesspool a couple of times a year to go see my O's play. I guess what i am saying is I have no interest in the city of Baltimore or what happens there. The only reason i step foot in that city is to watch an O's game.

Well I'll give you something similar that happens at Skins games, or has happened.

The line of the national anthem:

"O"

But sometimes in the area you hear:

"Ooooooooo!!!!!"

You know, the whole oriole reference thing that is sort of disrespectful towards the country?

I actually don't know the real thing they do, nor do I care.

Is it really any different than Caps fans shouting out "RED!" during the national anthem? Thats still disrespectful isnt it?

Baltimore will always be a second fiddle to DC is every way. They are envious of everything. Why such a complex? Maybe it's because the Colts dissed them so hard, they can't get over it. Maybe it's because of the history rich Redskins. Or maybe it's because DC matters nationally and internationally. Either way, Ravens fans that hate the SKINS so much, need to get a grip, we aren't even in the same Conference. Now if we ever meet in a game that really matters, it's going to be in the biggest one of all. And the SKINS will win that game. Ravens fans need to let go of the hate and appreciate the history of the game, which the SKINS are a major part of.

Archived