Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Deadspin: Baltimore Radio Guy Loses His Mind Over John Riggins

MattFancy

They hate DC because we are a REAL city, with (finally) all 4 sports, and more going on than them. They're like DC's ugly stepchild.

So they're like Pittsburghs Philly. Because Philly is the dirtiest ***** ass city I know.

By the way, this guy is taking things over the top. He clearly has issues. If I know anything about the sports in this area (DC) it's that, the Redskins have without a doubt one of the most passionate fan bases of sports in America.

I've never seen a fan base get their owner to make such dramatic change by themselves. We're so used to mediocrity with the Redskins yet, this stadium sells out every damn year. Sure we're sold on hype of big names and past years, but we're still passionate none the less.

The Capitals have grown big all of the sudden, and the Wizards were selling great during the good Arenas years, and the Nats are catching up as well. This is not a joke to any extent. Washington has one of the biggest up and coming cities for sports in the coming years.

Baltimore clearly has reason to be jealous to be a city without proper sports history or even more then two major sports.

But anyways this was a horrendously worded speech by a moron.

So you're a big fan of three different teams in the same pro sport? How exactly does that work? I can't even fathom that.

its quite easy actually

I moved just outside DC when I was 7 when the baseball season was over and that was like the last year when the Os were good. I was a die hard Sox fan didnt even watch other sports until i got down here.

I love the Sox, and Liking the nationals is easy because they are my national league team. I like the Os because well those are the games i remember going to the most and they have always sucked so it has never conflicted with the Sox.

I think the disdain of Ravens fans is just a natural occurence and mirrors in a way whats been going on with Nats fans.

Nats fans, many but not all, used to be Orioles fans. Now many of them, but not all, hate on the O's constantly, to the point some people who remained O's fans, like myself, start to dislike the Nats simply because of the fans. But nats fans are just separating themselves so they have their own team in their own area, and they can distance themselves from the flaws of the O's (tho they themselves have flaws but whatever).

Don't have time to read the whole thread but this is correct. Hate breeds hate. Plain and simple.

Go O's.

I'll never dump the Redskins (tragically) but it was real easy for me to leave the Orioles behind even before the Nats showed up.

1. Peter Angelos (No need for a 2nd reason, but...)

2. Rafael Palmeiro testing positive after pointing his finger at congress.

Bye-bye, Birdies.

The way I see it is that some people simply have it in them to dump their own team. Be it because of the owner, the decision of a player, or whatever. You are one of those people.

Many of us are not.

I can think of plenty of reasons to dump the redskins (Snyder, Fat Albert), but guess what, not happening.

this guy obviously doesn't realize the influx of non-native DC people here for government jobs and elected positions who bring their home team support with them...

The native fans and the adopted ones still have just as much if not more passion than any other fanbase. Stupid Ravens fans always looking to pick a fight to get some attention. Most of them I can't even hold a football conversation with. They only know about THEIR team. It's tough because I go to school in Towson.

Don't have time to read the whole thread but this is correct. Hate breeds hate. Plain and simple.

Go O's.

i admit to having 'rooted' for the O's when cal was around, but i've always been a very casual fan of baseball. i've watched much more baseball since the nats have been around.

my feelings about the O's are mixed. i think that alot of people feel like their loyalty to the team for years has gone unrequited by the owner. he just doesnt appear to care about fielding a competitive team. that pisses people off.

now, DC has baseball and people have the option of not having to settle for that. not that there isnt love for the team or players- i think its more directed at the owner.

It's amazing how many people in this area are now Ravens fans. Let's face it. It's a better team, better stadium and fans that don't leave at halftime.

Boy, I knew the fumes that hover over Baltimore are powerful, but now they're causing hallucinations?

It's amazing how many people in this area are now Ravens fans. Let's face it. It's a better team, better stadium and fans that don't leave at halftime.

It's amazing how one town can lose a football team due to lack of support and then continue to have the gall and stupidity to continue to fancy itself a better football town than one that has supported the same organization 73 years.

Colts tickets were available at the window for walk up patrons to purchase at the 1977 AFCC game against Oakland. The game did not sell out.

I've read and heard about this from several sources over the years.

Same with the 1969 WS when Mets fans drove down from NY upon learning the games weren't sold out at Memorial Stadium.

I'm not gonna thump my chest over ticket sales, bc they're also pathetic in DC. I'm just stating some facts about Bmore fans.

It's amazing how one town can lose a football team due to lack of support and then continue to have the gall and stupidity to continue to fancy itself a better football town than one that has supported the same organization 73 years.
Colts tickets were available at the window for walk up patrons to purchase at the 1977 AFCC game against Oakland. The game did not sell out.

And the Colts were a dominant team during the 50's, 60's and most of the 70's. As soon as they hit a downturn in the late 70's/early 80's, the fans abandoned them.

And plenty of home tickets were available for the '79 World Series too.

Baltimore fans are the biggest front-runners there are.

Because we grew up Orioles fans because there was no Nationals. Pretty simple answer dude.

Make sense. I just don't get it.

When the Colts skipped town, there we many in the Baltimore area that became Redskin fans, but I don"t here them single HTTR at Camden Yards.

Your point is well taken.

Make sense. I just don't get it.

When the Colts skipped town, there we many in the Baltimore area that became Redskin fans, but I don"t here them single HTTR at Camden Yards.

Your point is well taken.

Right but why would people just randomly sing HTTR at an O's game? Its not like you hear "Let's Go O's" chants during Skins games.

When the Colts skipped town, there we many in the Baltimore area that became Redskin fans

I disagree.

I think there was a strong effort by many former Colt fans to not adopt the Redskins during those 12 years w/ out the NFL.

An additional two SB titles in Washington during that span made it seem worse for them.

JKC's stadium proposal in Laurel only rubbed salt in the wounds.

However, I think Bmore fans exaggerated JKC's efforts to block expansion in the early 1990s, when in reality Jax and Carolina made more sense for the league $ wise.

Right but why would people just randomly sing HTTR at an O's game? Its not like you hear "Let's Go O's" chants during Skins games.

Well I'll give you something similar that happens at Skins games, or has happened.

The line of the national anthem:

"O"

But sometimes in the area you hear:

"Ooooooooo!!!!!"

You know, the whole oriole reference thing that is sort of disrespectful towards the country?

I actually don't know the real thing they do, nor do I care.

Well I'll give you something similar that happens at Skins games, or has happened.

The line of the national anthem:

"O"

But sometimes in the area you hear:

"Ooooooooo!!!!!"

You know, the whole oriole reference thing that is sort of disrespectful towards the country?

I actually don't know the real thing they do, nor do I care.

That's what we were talking about. But its not necessarily O's fans that are the only ones doing it.

It's insanity to accuse the Redskin fanbase of not being passionate, or of not being "real" fans. You'd be hard pressed to find a team with the record we've had over the past 15 years that still has a line out the door for season tickets or a city that cares so much about its team.

i have never met a Redskins fan that does not HATE HATE HATE the Ravens. I hate them 2nd to the Cowboys.

People like to say there's no animosity between Baltimore and Washington. That couldn't be further from the truth. You are, though, more likely to see the resentment in people who have roots in Washington or Baltimore; not in the transplants or first generation natives.

I find humor in the numerous people who claim there is no rivalry, then posting time and time again how much they hate Baltimore.

I find humor in those who point out Baltimore lost their NFL franchise, meanwhile "forgetting" DC lost a baseball team TWICE.

I find humor in those who say the Ravens hold onto their championship. I constantly see Redskins fans mention "3 SB trohpies". I'd wager most of the people on this board aren't old enough to remember the last one...let alone the one before that.

I've lived in Baltimore for 10 years. I wear redskins gear every single weekend. I'll get some good natured jabs every once in a while when I'm out. I have never gotten hostility. I even wore my Skins hoodie to the Colts v. Ravens last season. Nobody said anything. To tell you the truth, I get more comments from fellow skins fans I come across up here.

I know plenty of Old time Colts fans. Not a single one cheered for the Redskins when they were a city without a team.

As a city, I dig Baltimore. Sure it's got it's problems. But so did DC. I'm sure the older members of this forum LOVED to be reminded of the crack/murder problems DC had in the 80s/90s.

I don't ever root for the Ravens. The hypocracy on this board is funny though.

Archived