Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Yahoo: Biden calls custard shop manager a mildly profane name

Redskins Diehard

Who really cares?

I love that guy! With the squinty eyes, cheesy grin and droppin’ f bombs into a live mic. Seriously, love the guy.

After Dick Cheney and Dan Quayle, and Walter Mondale and Gerald Ford and Spiro Agnew and Lyndon Johnson and Richard Nixon finally a ribbon cutter I actually like.

Quayle had been a Congressman for two terms and a Senator for a term and a half when he became VP at the age of 43. He had a fairly light record and so when he said dumb stuff it defined him, because there was nothing else there.

Biden had been a Senator for 36 years during which time he was chairman of several committees when he became VP at the age of 65. There's a lot more meat on his resume than there was on Quayles. His career is not defined by his dumb statements. It's merely colored by them.

That's the difference.

Yeah, but Biden's been saying dumb stuff for all 36 years. Its not like those 36 years didn't give the press plenty to laugh at.

I think the difference is style.

Yeah, but Biden's been saying dumb stuff for all 36 years. Its not like those 36 years didn't give the press plenty to laugh at.

I think the difference is style.

Nah. Biden's foot-in-mouth disease cost him any realistic chance to run for President for 20 years. It was only this past election, after he had spent decades establishing himself as a solid and well respected legislator, that he had a chance in hell of being on a ticket.

Qualye was much younger than Biden when he became VP (he's younger than Biden and he was VP over 20 years ago.) He had no chance to re-define his image in any way. Maybe that's not fair, but no one ever said politics was fair.

The guy was not being a smartass, and that's where Biden's politician antenna failed him. It was just a throwaway line by the guy, yet Biden let it rankle him unecessarily. You could see it bugged him as soon as the guy said it. Biden should have given a hearty chuckle and said "We'll see what we can do" and the whole thing wouldn't have been a blip on the radar.

EXACTLY. It does not matter that it was Biden, it mattered that he acted like a jerk because he got offended by a perfectly harmless comment.

Stupid to react in the way he did ... nothing wrong with the store manager's comment. It was even an opportunity for Biden to tell the small business owner how much the administration loves them if he wanted to make political hay.

Its the difference in being stupid and saying stupid stuff, to not being stupid, but saying stupid stuff.

It was my understanding that Quale was a genius till you put him in front of a podium.

Seems biden is following along quite well. AND THIS WAS the next step up for him.

You'd think so...but with the people we elect it's apparent that some people are perfectly happy with paying higher taxes.

Or having other people pay high taxes.

Many of the people who voted for the current administration do not pay anything in taxes. Many of them in fact collect more money from the Government than they pay in.

Remember, when you steal from Peter to pay Paul, you can pretty much count on the support of Paul. It is not surprising when people vote for the candidate who promises to steal from others to give it to them (They just don't call it that in their campaign commercials)

Many of the people who voted for the current administration do not pay anything in taxes. Many of them in fact collect more money from the Government than they pay in.

Remember, when you steal from Peter to pay Paul, you can pretty much count on the support of Paul. It is not surprising when people vote for the candidate who promises to steal from others to give it to them (They just don't call it that in their campaign commercials)

Many who didn't vote for them either don't pay or abuse the system as well.

If you think that the deadbeats and shysters only exist on one side of the aisle, you're either laughably naive, or woefully ignorant.

~Bang

I don't see you complaining that your state receives more federal dollars than it contributes in taxes (that fits the robbing Peter to pay Paul description, right?). Or that my current state, receives quite less than it contributes.

:evilg:

ftsbs-large.jpg

Ah yes, many of the tens of millions of people who voted for Obama are welfare moms. That's just as dumb as saying, "many of the people who voted for McCain are backwards, uneducated racists who couldn't stand the idea of a black President."

I don't see you complaining that your state receives more federal dollars than it contributes in taxes (that fits the robbing Peter to pay Paul description, right?). Or that my current state, receives quite less than it contributes.

That chart provides limited information. I've lived in 7 states and none of them benefit from government spending like Maryland does. I doubt any state in the Union benefits from government spending like Maryland does.

:evilg:

Hey, Virginia voted for Obama, so we fall into the 'expecting a handout' category.

The biggest social engineering and welfare program on the planet is the Federal monies provided to government contractors, many of whom are republicans. :ols:

Hey, Virginia voted for Obama, so we fall into the 'expecting a handout' category.

The biggest social engineering and welfare program on the planet is the Federal monies provided to government contractors, many of whom are republicans. :ols:

Especially when the Feds (and states) don't have to contract out. They can have their workers under payroll do the same work, for a fraction of the cost.

[Wondering if the President approved this since he approves everything the VP says? And how long until someone claims Joe the Ice Cream Shop owner is a Republican plant..or a mindless follower of Faux News?

Lighten up dude. Your democrats are going to pull through this one. It is okay to laugh at them.
It shouldn't budge your "give o crap" meter but it should budge your "sense of humor" meter if you weren't so worried about a Dem maybe possibly looking bad.
Nobody made any claim about it being the worst gaffe Biden or anyone else for that matter has ever made. It actually is a pretty light hearted article for those that read it. I guess it is not for those that feel the need to downplay it without even knowing what it says.
I'm actually not trying at all. I see one, maybe 2, posters that have made this into some sort of referendum on Biden and the office...quite a few more making sure nobody thinks anything of it.

I think you are trying a wee bit too hard on this one. That old "you defend him at all costs because he is a Democrat" mantra isn't really present here.

Biden speaks in a public setting and something stupid comes out. If that's the line in the script, there's about a 30% chance he won't disappoint.

What we don't know (from the text) is how the ice cream shop manager said the line. I could imagine his comment to Biden might have sounded more sarcastic than it came across in print. On the otherhand, Biden's retort really didn't sound too polite either. If he was trying to address the guy's sarcasm or biting jab, he didn't do a very good job making his point.

He might've sounded smarter if he had replied, "If you keep giving all this ice cream away we're going to have to raise taxes."

I think you are trying a wee bit too hard on this one. That old "you defend him at all costs because he is a Democrat" mantra isn't really present here.

"Trying a bit too hard" says the guy that took the time to quote all of my posts:ols:

The first one was a reference to the recent McChrystal thread. If you didn't read it I would understand why you don't get it. The short is that there was one poster who was ADAMANT about the fact that Biden says nothing without Obama's approval.

Why would anyone even need to defend him? At the time of those posts that I was referring to there had been maybe one "attack". Of course it has since turned to a discussion of taxation, and Dan Quayle, and all other manner of subjects.

Absolutely a non-story. However, I think it certainly could be looked at as an indicator as to how some (I'd say most) long-term politicians view their constituents. I'm probably projecting, but that's how I see it. Republican, Democrat, Independent -- there's not much of the servant in "public servant" left when most of these guys reach the national political level.

Archived