Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Yahoo: Biden calls custard shop manager a mildly profane name

Redskins Diehard

Neither one said anything any of us would not consider saying given the situation.

I don't understand why we expect our politicians to be perfectly well mannered people.

We wait for perfection that we're never going to get.

~Bang

First let me say that I don't consider this a big deal. Not what you'd expect from a VP, but not a big deal.

That said, there's a difference between "not quite perfectly well mannered" and "calling a stranger a smartass when your job is tied to public opinion."

Kind of like Michael Vick flicking off the fans a few years back. Yes, I'm sure you don't like being heckled. However, it comes with the territory of your job. If you stoop to the same level with your response, that's fine. No biggie. But don't be surprised when the public acts all shocked and indignant that someone threw the heckling back in their face.

No kidding right!? I think it's the height of naivety to look at our politicians and clean mouthed saints...anyone ever actually listen to the Nixon tapes? So what he called someone a smartass, this is nothing more than pure distraction politics. This doesn't even budge my "give-o-crap" meter.

It shouldn't budge your "give o crap" meter but it should budge your "sense of humor" meter if you weren't so worried about a Dem maybe possibly looking bad.

First let me say that I don't consider this a big deal. Not what you'd expect from a VP, but not a big deal.

That said, there's a difference between "not quite perfectly well mannered" and "calling a stranger a smartass when your job is tied to public opinion."

Kind of like Michael Vick flicking off the fans a few years back. Yes, I'm sure you don't like being heckled. However, it comes with the territory of your job. If you stoop to the same level with your response, that's fine. No biggie. But don't be surprised when the public acts all shocked and indignant that someone threw the heckling back in their face.

Like I said,, so what. The guy doesn't have to vote for him if he's offended.

They're people, and occasionally that shows thru.

~Bang

It shouldn't budge your "give o crap" meter but it should budge your "sense of humor" meter if you weren't so worried about a Dem maybe possibly looking bad.

I laughed at it, I thought it was funny...and everyone knows that Biden is a gaffe machine, and the funniest part about it is that this isn't even close to being the worst thing that he's said...the most hilarious part about it is that he was right! BTW, I could care less about Biden, he won't win an election he's risen as high as he ever will in American politics, so believe me when I say this, I could care less what that Dem looks like.

Like I said,, so what. The guy doesn't have to vote for him if he's offended.

They're people, and occasionally that shows thru.

~Bang

I agree with you, so what.

I guess all I'm saying is, like it or not, these things will always be made a big deal of, no matter which side of the aisle they come from. That's just the way it is.

I laughed at it, I thought it was funny...and everyone knows that Biden is a gaffe machine, and the funniest part about it is that this isn't even close to being the worst thing that he's said...the most hilarious part about it is that he was right! BTW, I could care less about Biden, he won't win an election he's risen as high as he ever will in American politics, so believe me when I say this, I could care less what that Dem looks like.

Nobody made any claim about it being the worst gaffe Biden or anyone else for that matter has ever made. It actually is a pretty light hearted article for those that read it. I guess it is not for those that feel the need to downplay it without even knowing what it says.

Biden blew this one. There was no need to get all prickly over the guy's throwaway line. He's a better politician than that - which is not necessarily a compliment - and he's a better human being than that - which is.

Nobody made any claim about it being the worst gaffe Biden or anyone else for that matter has ever made. It actually is a pretty light hearted article for those that read it. I guess it is not for those that feel the need to downplay it without even knowing what it says.

Dude, honestly you're trying to hard here. I'm not trying to downplay it at all, there are some in this thread who were saying that this "lessens the office" to which I :rolleyes: I do however think it's funny that you think I'm trying to downplay this in order to somehow protect Biden.:ols: My responses are to those who are trying to make this more than what it is; a mildly salty (extremely mild) response by the VP to a guy who was being a smartass.

The guy was not being a smartass, and that's where Biden's politician antenna failed him. It was just a throwaway line by the guy, yet Biden let it rankle him unecessarily. You could see it bugged him as soon as the guy said it. Biden should have given a hearty chuckle and said "We'll see what we can do" and the whole thing wouldn't have been a blip on the radar.

Dude, honestly you're trying to hard here. I'm not trying to downplay it at all, there are some in this thread who were saying that this "lessens the office" to which I :rolleyes: I do however think it's funny that you think I'm trying to downplay this in order to somehow protect Biden.:ols: My responses are to those who are trying to make this more than what it is; a mildly salty (extremely mild) response by the VP to a guy who was being a smartass.

I'm actually not trying at all. I see one, maybe 2, posters that have made this into some sort of referendum on Biden and the office...quite a few more making sure nobody thinks anything of it.

Its the difference in being stupid and saying stupid stuff, to not being stupid, but saying stupid stuff.

Thats the thing. Biden isn't a bright guy.

He has 30 years of saying stupid stuff. Quayle mispelled potatoe

Biden has a gaffe every 2 weeks, comes up with crazy schemes to divide Iraq (circa 2005-2006), votes for an awful bankruptcy bill (since his constituents are Deleware based banks), says you can't go into a 7-11 and see a non Indian working there, became the first to politicize Super Court hearings, and overall comes off as a general fool.

I'm actually not trying at all. I see one, maybe 2, posters that have made this into some sort of referendum on Biden and the office...quite a few more making sure nobody thinks anything of it.

Then it was to those 1 or 2 that I was responding to with my reaction. Can anyone honestly say that they are surprised at this from Biden? No. As for it being funny, well when you've heard a comedian use the same joke 4 times after awhile you stop laughing at the joke, Biden has a big mouth that gets away from him we all know that, big deal.

As for the Quayle comparisons, well LOL, show me Danny Boy's resume and list of accomplishments and then show me Biden's. It's one thing to say some silly things in front of a mic when you have the list of accomplishments that Biden has, it's another to misspell potato and try to take on Murphy Brown.

Biden has a gaffe every 2 weeks, comes up with crazy schemes to divide Iraq (circa 2005-2006), votes for an awful bankruptcy bill (since his constituents are Deleware based banks), says you can't go into a 7-11 and see a non Indian working there, became the first to politicize Super Court hearings, and overall comes off as a general fool.

Kinda like Columbo, and Matlock, two characters who always look like they are simply bumbling around but who really know what the score is, don't downplay Biden, he's a VERY savvy politician.

Quayle had been a Congressman for two terms and a Senator for a term and a half when he became VP at the age of 43. He had a fairly light record and so when he said dumb stuff it defined him, because there was nothing else there.

Biden had been a Senator for 36 years during which time he was chairman of several committees when he became VP at the age of 65. There's a lot more meat on his resume than there was on Quayles. His career is not defined by his dumb statements. It's merely colored by them.

That's the difference.

Archived