Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

RUMOR: Wizards bringing back RED/WHITE/BLUE!

LaRonDontLikeUgly

A good friend of mine who worked for AOL has known Ted Leonsis for a VERY long time--- and I've even been fortunate enough to join them in the owner's box for a few homegames. (Ted seems like a very, very cool dude.)

Three days ago, I randomly texted my friend and told her how important I think the red/white/blue colors are to restoring some excitement to the organization. I also playfully included, "Make sure you tell Ted that John Wall looks way better in blue than turquoise."

She immediately wrote back and told me Ted has received thousands of letters from Washingtonians saying the same thing, and that "there will be BIG changes!" She left it at that.

Three days passed and she texted me today:

"Talked to Ted today. Your wish came true! Red/white/blue is definite. Maybe new logo. Keeping Wizards name for at least a few years but may change later!"

I'm not sure when the official announcement will be taking place, but I read in a recent interview with Ted that it's pretty much too late in the offseason to change the jerseys for the upcoming season. In the same interview, he said that the NBA doesn't really like name-changes and it can take around 3-4 years to get something like that approved. (Color-changes are not as difficult according to him.)

It looks like we will probably see one year of John Wall in turquoise and gold though... so you can bet I'll be waiting for a little while to buy my jersey!

I was actually thinking about this the other day. I know Burgundy and Gold will never change as it never should but it'll be nice to have the remaining 3 teams rock red white and blue.

Wizards jerseys are awful, especially the road uniforms. Capitals got it right when they made the switch.

I think its cool to have the DC teams all wear Red, White, and Blue. I agree the Skins colors won't ever change unless they are forced to change their name. But if any city's teams should be all one color, it should be DC with Red, White, and Blue.

And the Wizards is one of the worst team names in sports. Right up there with Thunder and Wild.

Washington Justice.

They would play on the Supreme Court.

Colors: Either red white and blue, or Ben-Franklin-On-The-$100-Bill shades of green, grey and white.

But ownership ignored me 15 years ago, and it seems like the idiotic Wizards name is staying for now.

Not that I'm affected by it in any serious way, of course. :twitch:

Why is it that every team created in the 90s had to incorporate some kind of hideous teal into their uniform? The Jags, Panthers, Sharks, Ducks, Marlins, Devil Rays, Wizards, and Grizzlies all used it. I'm just glad that fad is over.

Why is it that every team created in the 90s had to incorporate some kind of hideous teal into their uniform? The Jags, Panthers, Sharks, Ducks, Marlins, Devil Rays, Wizards, and Grizzlies all used it. I'm just glad that fad is over.

Although the team wasn't created in the 90's., these hideous uniforms were, so I've gotta include Pistons to that list.

g-hill-poster-dunk.jpg

God Awful :puke:

I dnid it so funny that DC basketball has turned into a fashion show and a talk about how cool different names are. I remember I used to tease girls I dated because they said they cheered for teams for these very same reasons. smh

DC basketball has not become a fashion show-- it's just that we went from having one of the coolest jerseys/names in the league to having one of the absolute worst. Something awesome was taken away from us, and many fans would like to see it restored in some way.

For the record, I don't mind the name Wizards. I hated it initially, but have grown to accept it. With the right colors/logo, we might look respectable again and represent the Nation's capital properly.

LOL that's crazy-- I didn't even think about all those teams (including the Pistons) -- but I would give the Panthers a little more credit... they don't belong in this group.

Leonsis already said he was changing the colors but not the name in an interview I saw on tv.

That's not true... Leonsis has made it no secret that he is not a fan of the teal colors, but he is yet to come out officially and say, "We are changing back. This is the date." Hasn't happened yet. I am just confirming the speculation that most people saw coming anyway.

I think its cool to have the DC teams all wear Red, White, and Blue. I agree the Skins colors won't ever change unless they are forced to change their name. But if any city's teams should be all one color, it should be DC with Red, White, and Blue.

And the Wizards is one of the worst team names in sports. Right up there with Thunder and Wild.

Then we'd be the Patriots. No thanks.

Washington Justice.

They would play on the Supreme Court.

Colors: Either red white and blue, or Ben-Franklin-On-The-$100-Bill shades of green, grey and white.

But ownership ignored me 15 years ago, and it seems like the idiotic Wizards name is staying for now.

Not that I'm affected by it in any serious way, of course. :twitch:

Green would put us in Eagles colors. No thanks.

I like the Thunder name. Cause when Durant goes off, everyone says "the Thunder are rollin'." :silly:

Lol I just think its dumb to be named after a sound. And I think team names that don't end in an S are dumb. Thunder, Heat, Magic, and Wild. The only one it kind of works for are the Avalanche.

Nothing new, Leonsis has been saying this for the past few weeks. My question is, are they able to change colors/uni's for this upcoming season? I want to get a Wall jersey, but want to wait until the uni change.

I dunno. I saw a bunch of teams have made changes to their logo. But they could've put the request in last season.

Lol I just think its dumb to be named after a sound. And I think team names that don't end in an S are dumb. Thunder, Heat, Magic, and Wild. The only one it kind of works for are the Avalanche.

Those are still better than being named after Harry Potter.

Yeah, Leonsis pretty much said this without actually saying it back when the sale was completed.

He also said that he wouldn't be changing the name soon. So that means at least a few years of Wizards with red, white, and blue unis. And I've had to wonder about that a little bit, because it seems to me that those colors simply don't mesh with the name "Wizards" as well as our current colors do. Don't get me wrong, I'll always prefer the red, white, and blue, I just think it's gonna be hard to pull off stylistically. Am I talking nonsense here, or does anyone else get what I'm saying?

Green would put us in Eagles colors. No thanks.

Meh. Right now they share colors with the Jaguars. Every reasonable color scheme looks like someone else.

Don't worry about what other people are doing. If you do it too, then just do it better than they do! :D

I'll agree on outlawing the combination of silver and blue, though. Absolutely forbidden.

If the Wizards go red white and blue and end up being compared with the Patriots' uniforms, that's fine with me -- as long as they duplicate the Patriots' success too.

Archived