Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Any chance Obama declines to run in 12?

88Comrade2000

You know it wouldn't shock me if Obama decides not to run for reelection. I know that's a slim possibility but Obama seems like the type of person to do that. He already made his mark with his healthcare legislation and despite what Repubs think; I think any Democrat would be able to win. My gut tells me they nominate someone unelectable.

I remember thinking in 2007 that we were at such a miserable precipice that whoever was elected would mostly likely be a one-termer because even if they did everything right (and no President does) they would be hated because of all the pain the country would go through.

That said, I think that anyone who has an ego big and strong enough to run for Pres. ain't gonna just lie down and walk away. I think there is a fair chance he loses. I think that there's a fair chance he loses because of things set in motion well before he arrived on the scene (some of which began before Bush took the oath), but that he will try his damndest just as Bush did.

Hopefully, he gets more right than wrong and America begins to correct course.

Sounds like wishful thinking to me.

Maybe, but I think if that happens; Hillary Clinton will be our next president if the economy is good in 2012.

Right now Obama should win should he run but I get the feeling he will say enough of this. At his age, he will have a long post-presidential money earning career.

Hell, Obama could replace his friend Oprah.

I remember thinking in 2007 that we were at such a miserable precipice that whoever was elected would mostly likely be a one-termer because even if they did everything right (and no President does) they would be hated because of all the pain the country would go through.

That said, I think that anyone who has an ego big and strong enough to run for Pres. ain't gonna just lie down and walk away. I think there is a fair chance he loses. I think that there's a fair chance he loses because of things set in motion well before he arrived on the scene (some of which began before Bush took the oath), but that he will try his damndest just as Bush did.

Hopefully, he gets more right than wrong and America begins to correct course.

That's EXACTLY how I felt. Dubya ****ed everything up to the point that anyone who came in would have to spend four years cleaning up the mess left by the Bush administration. I always thought that if Obama was elected President, that he would face hard times at first anyways

My fantasy scenario, in '07, was that McCain wins, and he decides that he's too old for a second term, anyway, therefore he's going to make the tough decisions and do the tough things that the country needs, but that any politician who wants to get re-elected won't touch.

He comes in, raises the Social Security retirement age, slows the growth of Medicare, raises taxes, and does all the other things that need to be done, but whoever does them, the voters will hate. Because he doesn't care, he's not planning on a second term, anyway.

I had hopes that Obama would be Kennedy-like enough to do those things.

Ain't seen it, yet.

(And, I'll confess, my fantasy scenario was really fuzzy on how this whole "I don't care if they hate me, I'm not running" thing works with Congress.)

He could. Anyone could get burned out. Lord knows that I would be burned out by the end of my first week.

This is also true. The buck always stops with the current President, fair or not.

I don't think he declines to run but I don't see him being as enamoring and winning with as much conviction as the first time.

That being said I am so sick of politicians playing the game (from both sides) I don't want to vote for Republican or Democrat.

But a lot can change in a couple years.

President Obama already has the re-election apparatus in place for 2012.

OFA has established offices in pretty much every precinct in America, and will be really gearing up this time next year.

The BP disaster will be long forgotten, the economy will be mending (with the crazy amount of money being poured into it, growth will occur) and unemployment will be at worst in the high 8s, this time 2 years from now.

He'll win 35 states

You know it wouldn't shock me if Obama decides not to run for reelection. I know that's a slim possibility but Obama seems like the type of person to do that. He already made his mark with his healthcare legislation...

No way. Who do you think Obama is....Sarah Palin? :rotflmao:

Sorry, I couldn't resist. I just can't believe this thread has been around for hours now and nobody took that layup! You guys are slipping. :)

Anywho, I honestly believe that Obama is one of the least politician-like politicians in a while. He does want a second term but he also knows that at some point he's going to have to tell the country what most of us don't want to hear, i.e. the budget deficit must be addressed and the only feasible way to do it is to reign in both entitlement and military spending (within reason) combined with a temporary tax hike.

It's classic Obama. It approaches a difficult problem from both sides of the aisle, makes infinite sense, and will require major political cojones to pull off. I'll be curious to see whether he does this prior to the elections to force the GOP candidates and the eventual nominee to outline their plans for budget cutting or if he plays it safe and waits until after his re-election.

He does want a second term but he also knows that at some point he's going to have to tell the country what most of us don't want to hear, i.e. the budget deficit must be addressed and the only feasible way to do it is to reign in both entitlement and military spending (within reason) combined with a temporary tax hike.

I'll be curious to see whether he does this prior to the elections to force the GOP candidates and the eventual nominee to outline their plans for budget cutting or if he plays it safe and waits until after his re-election.

Oh it's far simpler than that. It'll be called The Fair Taxation and Economic Liberty Preservation Act of 20__. And Nancy Pelosi will once again attempt to convince us that it must be passed, so that they can tell us what's in it.

President Obama already has the re-election apparatus in place for 2012.

OFA has established offices in pretty much every precinct in America, and will be really gearing up this time next year.

The BP disaster will be long forgotten, the economy will be mending (with the crazy amount of money being poured into it, growth will occur) and unemployment will be at worst in the high 8s, this time 2 years from now.

He'll win 35 states

It is more organized than people can really understand. Here in Texas there are 10 full-time paid State/Regional OFA organizers. Daily part-time volunteers in the hundreds. In Texas. They are pouring hundreds of thousands of dollars into a state that they will get crushed in. Just image what is going on in FL, VA, OH, etc.

Never before in history has anything been in place like this 2+ years in advance.

Maybe, but I think if that happens; Hillary Clinton will be our next president if the economy is good in 2012.

Right now Obama should win should he run but I get the feeling he will say enough of this. At his age, he will have a long post-presidential money earning career.

Hell, Obama could replace his friend Oprah.

You know, I had thought about that before: Obama deciding not to run, for whatever reasons, even if he is successful in the end, and stepping aside for Hillary to run. I don't think it is an impossible factor, though probably slim in the grand scheme of how politics, humans, and egos, work.

But you never know, right?

Archived