Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2011 Orioles Thread

Luke Scott signed a 1-year deal with Tampa. Sad to see him go, but more so for his candid interviews and good locker room presence. A healthy Luke Scott could be a solid DH option for a good team, but with his injury history I don't blame the Orioles for not paying him $6 million.

2 bits of O's new today:

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/01/13/the-orioles-are-obviously-interested-in-johnny-damon/

A Johnny Damon signing would be one of the most Orioles moves in recent years. And now Jon Heyman reports that the Orioles “appear to have some interest” in him.

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/01/13/adam-jones-trade-rumors-are-intensifying/

From Roch Kubatko of MASNSports.com:

I heard last night that trade talks involving Jones are intensifying again.

Well at least the Nats are trying.
As a fan of both teams, and a former STH for the O's, it almost feels like it doesn't matter what the O's do. With the Yanks and Red Sox, and the Rays, it would take a miracle on par with the 69 Mets to make the playoffs. I love the stadium and enjoy the area, but when you go to O's games you kinda expect to see a bad team. Though switchin back to the cartoon bird is gonna be sweet! Memories of my childhood, Memorial Stadium double headers on Sun afternoon, Cal, Billy, Rene Gonzalez, Craig Worthington, Mickey Tettleton, Brady, Flanny, Boddicker, Fred Lynn, Larry Sheets, Joe Orsulak, Gregg Olson, Bob Milacki. That 1988 team was awesome (to a little kid of 9 years old). Chris Hoiles, Phil Bradley, Mike Devereaux later.... It was unfortunate that DC didn't have a team. I will never forget watching Tony Torasco settling under that fly ball from Jeter. And me and my dad going ape **** over that ******* Jeffrey Maier.

And neither fanbase is happy!

I think Nats fans in general are happy with the direction. More wins YOY, lots of young talent all over the roster. Guys like Harper coming up soon. A handful of good draft classes in a row. Even if they don't sign Fielder, I'm pleased with the progress and feel that while this upcoming season they still probably aren't a playoff contender....next year they will be.

You could always root for the home team. :)

I said baseball, not the Orioles. You sound like one of those church people coming to my door begging me to go to their church (just a joke). Sorry dude, as much of a DC area fan (Skins, Wiz, Caps, United) as I am, I simply grew up rooting for the Orioles because I liked baseball and didn't sit around and cry for 30 years for DC to get baseball (I'm not saying you did, but alot of Nats fans did), I simply embraced the next closest team. Eddie Murray came to a bank branch opening where my mom worked and he called her a week later (personally called her at the bank) to let her know he left 4 box seat tickets to a game (vs. the Royals) and I was hooked. I was 9 at the time.

I said baseball, not the Orioles. You sound like one of those church people coming to my door begging me to go to their church (just a joke). Sorry dude, as much of a DC area fan (Skins, Wiz, Caps, United) as I am, I simply grew up rooting for the Orioles because I liked baseball and didn't sit around and cry for 30 years for DC to get baseball (I'm not saying you did, but alot of Nats fans did), I simply embraced the next closest team. Eddie Murray came to a bank branch opening where my mom worked and he called her a week later (personally called her at the bank) to let her know he left 4 box seat tickets to a game (vs. the Royals) and I was hooked. I was 9 at the time.

Yea, I rooted for the Mets... essentially because my dad was a Phillies fan (from Pennsylvania). But, once we got our team, I made the switch. Made it easy that the Piazza era had just ended. It was a clean break for me.

Murray have always been my favorite athlete in any sport.

Archived