Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2011 Orioles Thread

Please. Sure, he has power, but he cannot hit for average and is as big a liability if not more than Prince with the glove. The Reynolds trade was a mistake - period. Hernandez is a lights out closer, which we're still trying to find. Tillman was the man to deal and I said so from jump. I hope this GM has a freaking clue because the previous one did not.

hahaaaa, we already have a power hitting 1b!! what a joke these guys are. i also wanted to keep hernandez. we have had plenty of guys that throw in the low 90's, hernandez was one of the few that could hit the upper 90's and if he didnt work as a starter, we could use him in relief.

i cant tell you how much this team and franchise direction bothers me. its way more than the redskins. i dont even care anymore and i expect continual losing seasons for another decade. its sad really.

i probably wont approve of any of their decisions unless they find a way to get some real talent or start winning.

i probably wont approve of any of their decisions unless they find a way to get some real talent or start winning.

Angelos is a total joke. What's the damn point of owning a team if you're wiling to sit back and watch them perpetually suck? Seriously? You're a billionaire dude. Sign Fielder for God's sake. Yeah, we need arms more, but inserting Prince into this lineup is a nice move. He could hit 60 HR's at Camden. Get the arms in the next couple of seasons and allow the young budding stars some time to grow into the rotation. We have our outfield about set. We have a power hitting SS. We obviously have our catcher. What's the plan? Wait until Matt, Adam, Nick are 35 and then make your move?

I ultimately think Dan will be better than McPhail, but that's also not saying a heck of a lot.

We need to make some moves. Fielder would be great here. A power hitting lefty in Camden Yards would be unfair.

I'm tired of losing. Its even worse because the Nats have young talent and are willing to spend money to bring in more talent. We have some young guys, but seem content in not getting any better. Yes I know we need to improve our farm system, but we also need to be able to be competitive in the majors as well. So that's where we sign FAs. But, that seems to be asking too much

I don't think we have the core to make major moves yet. Even if we signed Wilson and Fielder, we would still be a sub .500 club. We have to build a capable core through draf and international signingst, there's no way around it.

Signing Fielder would make guys like Jones, Wieters and Markakis so much better. There's no way around it, we need to start signing guys that could make a difference.

I don't think we have the core to make major moves yet. Even if we signed Wilson and Fielder, we would still be a sub .500 club. We have to build a capable core through draf and international signingst, there's no way around it.

But signing one of those guys might lead to other players wanting to come here.

We have a decent core of Weiters, Markakis, Jones, Hardy, and Reynolds on offense.

Pitching needs work, but if the young guys can get going we should be ok. Adding a veteran on 2 would help.

This team has some decent parts in place, but it just seems like they aren't trying. When you see a team like the Nats trying to go after big names it make you wonder why we aren't doing the same.

From Buster Olney's twitter:

It's amusing/ironic Brady Anderson is going to scout for O's. When I covered him, he hated when I quoted scouts talking about players.

And another writer:

Brady Anderson will have a bigger role in Orioles organization between scouting and instruction.

You'd hope that a long time pro would have an eye to at least evaluated some talent. Not saying he should pick guys. But if he has a list of things to look for, better scouting than in a booth forcing fans to listen to another retired athlete hammering on.

p.s. - please sign Prince and keep him away from D.C.

Per Rotoworld

Steve Melewski of MASNSports.com reports that that Orioles are willing to listen to offers for outfielder Adam Jones.

Jon Paul Morosi of FOXSports.com says that the O's are telling teams Jones is "off limits," but you'd have to think they would at least entertain offers to see what's out there. Jones would be a fit for the Nationals or any number of teams seeking an upgrade in center field.

If they trade Jones, I'm done with this team

Per Rotoworld

If they trade Jones, I'm done with this team

I wouldn't. I think it could be a good move.

I like Jones and all, he is a good ballplayer, but I think he tends to get a little overrated, and I don't know if he is interested in staying in Baltimore long-term. If he isn't, then you should at least see what offers are out there when his value is at its highest. That is probably now.

I would be happy if he wants to stick around, but I think he could be a very valuable trade chip to fill multiple holes in this organization. That being said, I don't want to see him patrolling CF in Nats Park.

He's already stupid for letting anyone think he is available.

I know you are emotionally attached, but nobody should be untouchable from the Orioles perspective. Anyone should be able to be dealt if we are overwhelmed by an offer. And I think that is the situation with Jones. He is not sitting on the sidewalk of Eutaw St. with a for sale sign on himself, but if someone blows us away with an offer, as a last-place team, you have to consider it.

Again, I like Jones and would like a trade to the Nats for the right price. But the O's could probably deal him if they get enough. I don't think he's a superstar at all. He's a nice player. And he can still improve. He was 14th in WAR for CFer's last year though. That means, average regular. http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=cf&stats=bat&lg=all&qual=0&type=8&season=2011&month=0&season1=2011&ind=0&team=0&players=0

I know you are emotionally attached, but nobody should be untouchable from the Orioles perspective. Anyone should be able to be dealt if we are overwhelmed by an offer. And I think that is the situation with Jones. He is not sitting on the sidewalk of Eutaw St. with a for sale sign on himself, but if someone blows us away with an offer, as a last-place team, you have to consider it.

I know what you mean, but for a team that needs young players, Jones is that. Sure maybe he's not great, but he's a solid defensive CF and can hit too. We need more players like Jones. Trading him makes no sense.

I too am an Adam Jones fan, but I agree that nobody on this lousy team should be considered untouchable.

---------- Post added December-6th-2011 at 04:54 PM ----------

Obviously, if they trade him for a couple project players in a cheap attempt to "shake things up" and/or shed salary, I'd be pissed and I'll be following everyone else out the door. But I doubt that will happen. If he gets dealt, it will be for a nice return that could hopefully plug some of the many holes this team has. I'd be fine with that.

I know what you mean, but for a team that needs young players, Jones is that. Sure maybe he's not great, but he's a solid defensive CF and can hit too. We need more players like Jones. Trading him makes no sense.

It is all in what is offered. If we get offered a multi-player haul with a few prospects that are young and ML ready, I think it would have to be considered. Jones is a good young player, but if you could get three players that were younger and are ready to play in the majors or maybe blocked in their current organization, it has to be looked at. I think Duquette will make the right move in this situation, as he is better in evaluating trade opportunities than anything else IMO.

Just like there have been rumors about listening to offers on Jones, there have also been rumors about talking about a contract extension. So I think that is going to go a long way in how much we are shopping Jones. If he is receptive to signing an extension, I think he stays. But if he is planning on walking when he gets a chance, you have to see what's out there when his value is high.

Archived