Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2011 Orioles Thread

I just can't figure out another reason why this guy would have a couple of interviews with Buck, all reports say he would take the job if offered, but after his first meeting with PA, he turns the job down because he wants to stay an assistent GM in Canada. Seems to me that PA did something in that interview to change LaCava's mind. Could be completely wrong but this was the guy the O's needed to make a real change. He helped make all the moves that Toronto made that the O's should have made. Now we'll have no GM for the start of FA, and possibly the Winter Meetings.

I guess Buck is the GM for now and he stated the pitching will be the focus this offseason. I trust Buck, but no one else in the front office, especially the scouting and developing branch of the front office. That needs to be cleaned out and replaced. It's long overdue.

Their farm system is a mess. All the depth they had a few years ago is now pulled up and not playing well. Their fundamentals are horrible. It's like they aren't being taught anything in the farm system. The teaching doesn't begin until the majors. Their pitching coach quitting mid-season really seems to throw the whole club into a tail spin. They were playing well up until that point.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/7207949/dan-duquette-vows-rebuild-baltimore-orioles-ground-up

Dan Duquette embraces O's challenge

Associated Press

BALTIMORE -- Back in the big leagues after a nine-year absence, Dan Duquette has undertaken an incredibly daunting task: rebuilding the dreadful Baltimore Orioles.

Many have tried. None have succeeded. Not recently, anyway. The Orioles have finished in last place four straight years and are mired in a franchise-record run of 14 straight losing seasons.

Armed with a three-year contract, Duquette, the team's new executive vice president of baseball operations, is confident he can make Baltimore relevant again in the top-heavy AL East.

"That's the challenge of the job, right? The way that we're going to be competitive is we're going to bring in some good players and build our team from the ground up," Duquette said Tuesday at his introductory news conference. "We're going to have to work harder. We're going to work smarter than these teams that have these huge piles of resources. But it can be done."

Duquette spent eight seasons in the Montreal Expos' front office from 1987-94 and was general manager of the Boston Red Sox from 1994-2001. The experience he gained with those two teams helped prepare him for his post with Baltimore.

"I learned in a small market, I applied my skills in a small market, to put together a top-quality team," he said. "I also worked from a major-market perspective."

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/7208094/alfredo-simon-baltimore-orioles-cleared-manslaughter-charge

Alfredo Simon acquitted in man's death

Associated Press

SANTO DOMINGO, Dominican Republic -- Baltimore Orioles reliever Alfredo Simon has been acquitted of an involuntary manslaughter charge.

Defense attorney Dinora Dilone said Simon was acquitted Tuesday in the New Year's Eve shooting death of 25-year-old Michel Castillo Almonte.

I like the Duquette hire. If he can build the farm system up like he did in Montreal, we could be competitive for years. That is the key. Start at the bottom and work your way up, like the Capitals have with their farm system.

100% agree. A couple of year ago we had a pretty solid farm system and once he brought up Weiters, Britton, Matusz, Arrietta, etc. it went back down the crapper. We're probably not going to ever be able to outbid Boston and New York for FAs, so the best thing we can do is build the farm system back up.

Unveiling of new Home and Road caps today as well as uniforms at 9:30am on http://baltimore.orioles.mlb.com/

They released this teaser the other day:

AePJIaKCEAAT8Uj.jpg

Also looks like they prematurely released this on the website:

bal.png

---------- Post added November-15th-2011 at 09:35 AM ----------

Uni's and hats:

NtPO2mxw.jpg

---------- Post added November-15th-2011 at 09:35 AM ----------

Up close view of orange alt:

iPVPYzY4.jpg

I like the new hats and the orange uniforms are awesome! The only thing I don't like is the huge gap between the "l" and the "t" in "Baltimore"

I don't think there's a huge gap between the l and t. I think it's the way his jersey folds/winkles right between the l and t.

---------- Post added November-15th-2011 at 09:19 PM ----------

I like the new hats and the orange uniforms are awesome! The only thing I don't like is the huge gap between the "l" and the "t" in "Baltimore"

I don't think there's a huge gap between the l and t. I think it's the way his jersey folds/winkles right between the l and t.

Reason being in the past you had a lot of double lettering due to jersey overlaps, so they tried to rectify it.

6349235804_a014eb0ab5_o.png

http://twitter.com/mlbtraderumors/statuses/136641010091560960

---------- Post added November-15th-2011 at 10:07 PM ----------

As I said, when you think of that old school cartoon bird you think of those glory days. Nice nod to an era long gone. The cartoon bird is Oriole baseball

Thanks. Here's the link for the lazy O's fan.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/11/dan-duquette-on-pitching-reynolds-extensions.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Other than the Camden Yards patch, how are these uniforms different? Am I missing something? Piping or script?

Orange jersey is a brand new alternate. In the past when/if they've gone orange it was b/c they were wearing their BP uniform tops or a one off throwback jersey. The road grey's have a different Baltimore script that's not as angled and doesn't taper off as much at the end.

Orange jersey is a brand new alternate. In the past when/if they've gone orange it was b/c they were wearing their BP uniform tops or a one off throwback jersey. The road grey's have a different Baltimore script that's not as angled and doesn't taper off as much at the end.

Ahhh. Ok. I have 4 Ripken authentics from the 80s. White, Grey, Black and Orange.

Archived