Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2011 Orioles Thread

They have to. They had such a low payroll this past year and they are going to have to lower it again. The problem is that there are not many places that they could move that could legitimately sustain them. Especially if they were to stay in the AL East. Although I routinely argue against it, the only real possibility that I see in the east is Charlotte. There are some here that want it and some that don't, but there has been periodic talk of building a downtown stadium for the AAA team that would have the ability to expand for a MLB team. There has not been much talk about it here for a little while, but I imagine the topic will come back up soon as Tampa ownership begins to explore their options.

Now there are plenty of arguments against a team in Charlotte, like the fact that we don't really support the AAA team and the NBA team is among the most poorly attended in the league. I have several counter points to both of those arguments, but in the end, I just don't think it would work because Charlotte is not a great sports city. It just isn't. But I got met with something that I could not argue against when I was saying why I did not think a team could work in Charlotte. Someone came back at me with "we could not be any worse than the support they get in Tampa."

Another thing to think about is that if they moved, a city would likely get a franchise that would be a winner and thast plays good baseball. A winner puts asses in the seats in most cities not named Tampa/St. Pete. You would also get a ton of home games against the Yankees and Red Sox, so that would guarantee good attendance for those nights. So it will be a good situation for some city, as I think the Rays are going to have to leave Tampa at some point in the relative near future.

They are free to move to the Raleigh area. That would give me 9 O's games every year to go to. Raleigh does a pretty good job of supporting the Canes so I think it could actually work here. I agree with you about Charlotte though. No way a team would be successful there. I don't know why they even put a NBA team back in that city after the first failed attempt even if the owner wasn't good to say the least.

They are free to move to the Raleigh area. That would give me 9 O's games every year to go to. Raleigh does a pretty good job of supporting the Canes so I think it could actually work here. I agree with you about Charlotte though. No way a team would be successful there. I don't know why they even put a NBA team back in that city after the first failed attempt even if the owner wasn't good to say the least.
Raleigh struggles to fill an 18K seat arena 41 times. How are they going to fill a 30K+ ballpark 81 times? Baseball is a huge commitment for a casual fan. It takes YEARS to grow the hardcore fanbase needed to fill a stadium. Look at Atlanta. They are always competitive, and they can't fill a stadium in the playoffs. The south supports 1 sport all out: CFB. NASCAR doesn't even sell out anymore. Bama, Auburn, SC, GA, TN, FL ALWAYS sell out.

Raleigh is too small to support a MLB team. Stadium would be 75% empty for 60 of 81 games.

Raleigh struggles to fill an 18K seat arena 41 times. How are they going to fill a 30K+ ballpark 81 times? Baseball is a huge commitment for a casual fan. It takes YEARS to grow the hardcore fanbase needed to fill a stadium. Look at Atlanta. They are always competitive, and they can't fill a stadium in the playoffs. The south supports 1 sport all out: CFB. NASCAR doesn't even sell out anymore. Bama, Auburn, SC, GA, TN, FL ALWAYS sell out.

Raleigh is too small to support a MLB team. Stadium would be 75% empty for 60 of 81 games.

The Hurricanes got a nice boost from winning. That will get the casual fans in the seats. They were in the playoffs their second year in Raleigh, they were in the Stanley Cup finals in their fifth year and they won the Cup in their eighth year. When they are bad, the fans do not show up nearly as much. But the same can be said anywhere. The Bobcats have been terrible since they came to Charlotte, and many fans here were turned off by the NBA as a whole after the antics of the ownership group that ran the Hornets. The attendance as a whole is terrible, but when they were playing well down the stretch two years ago and made the playoffs, tickets were actually relatively difficult to get.

As for Atlanta, that is just a terrible sports town. There are so many people living in Atlanta that are not from there; they have no connection to the teams, no matter what sport.

This just illustrates what I was talking about with a friend the other day. There are no more ideal markets that baseball teams can threaten to go to. Cities like Charlotte, Raleigh, Portland and San Antonio are OK, but they are far from a sure thing. They would all probably do better support-wise than Tampa is though. The thing that is unique here is that it is not a bad team. A winning franchise is going to be dropped in someone's lap and that will help to accelerate the growth of a fanbase.

The Canes do pretty good for a sport that had zero history/tradition/roots when they got here. They average around 20th in attendance getting about 88-90% capacity every year. Considering the location in the south, they do pretty well.

As far as how baseball would do...no reason why this area Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill wouldn't do better than a third of the teams in baseball currently do. If it wasn't for season ticket holders in some stadiums, actual attendance numbers in places like Baltimore, KC, Tampa, etc would be pitiful.

The problem wasn't that Charlotte didn't support the Hornets. They filled the colesium with 22K every game. The owner wanted a state of the art downtown stadium and the city didn't want to pay for it. Plus I think their owner was involved in some kind of a scandal. It's really weird that the city doesn't support the Bobcats like they did the Hornets.

We'll see if they can still compete when Sheilds', Price's and Longoria's contracts come up. And how many times have the Jays made the playoffs since the early 90's?

I never said Tampa or Toronto are perfect franchises who have an easy time of it in the AL East. I was just making the point that they do a better job of it than the Orioles do. Those teams usually have something to play for through July, sometimes later. The Orioles are usually cooked by Memorial Day.

The delusional thinking that the Orioles would be a solid team if only they played in another division is completely false. Before the last 3 weeks of the season, the Orioles were getting beat by everybody, not just New York and Boston.

I never said Tampa or Toronto are perfect franchises who have an easy time of it in the AL East. I was just making the point that they do a better job of it than the Orioles do. Those teams usually have something to play for through July, sometimes later. The Orioles are usually cooked by Memorial Day.

The delusional thinking that the Orioles would be a solid team if only they played in another division is completely false. Before the last 3 weeks of the season, the Orioles were getting beat by everybody, not just New York and Boston.

Here lies the problem IMO. Being the the AL East, it's darn near impossible to lure bigtime free agents. Do you think any top notch pitcher wants to go to a division where they have to face the Yanks and Sox multiple times? If a big bat wants to win a championship, what's his chances, being in the same division as the Yanks and Sox?

If it was just one of them (Yanks/Sox), they'd be no problem. If it wasn't for a monumental collapse by the sox, both the Yanks and Sox would have been in the playoffs again. Sure, Tampa's having a pretty good run, but eventually it will end.

So, I'm sure this has been talked about ad nauseum, but what is Brian Matusz planning to do to get his career on track this offseason? Other than general laziness, what was the issue with his prep last offseason? From what I understand, that was the issue with his performance this past season, not injury.

So, I'm sure this has been talked about ad nauseum, but what is Brian Matusz planning to do to get his career on track this offseason? Other than general laziness, what was the issue with his prep last offseason? From what I understand, that was the issue with his performance this past season, not injury.

Hopefully more of this: :lift:

And less of this: :chug:

But really, he had an idea of what he's supposed to be doing and it didn't mesh with Connor. While he probably had a point given his great finish to '10, he was still a child about the situation. I think Buck trotted him out a few extra times late in the season for a reason.

• 2 weeks later...

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/2011/10/cartoon_bird_making_a_comeback.html

Cartoon bird making a comeback

The Orioles will be sporting the cartoon bird on their hats for 2012 for the first time since 1988.

The return of the cartoon bird had been expected, and it, and other uniform changes, will be officially announced in November.

A club source confirmed, however, that the Orioles will sport the cartoon bird hat throughout the year except once a week – likely Fridays – when they will wear the alternate "O" hats and black jerseys as they did in 2011. The 2012 cartoon bird will be a combination of the 1970 logo and the 1983 one, but may resemble the older logo a bit more.

So somewhere between this;

rwx6xa3gj4kf2n4wke5rp8bw4.gif

and this:

8gwv5vpgjsq8fox4fjsl4p54f.gif

:cool:

F*** PETER ANGELOS

LaCava turned the O's down because of that royal d-bag. He will NEVER EVER learn to let someone else make decisions for his team. It is his way(lose forever) or no one's way( possibly winning in the future). I will not go to any O's games or spend any money on them until a real change is made. I'd advise other O's fans also. There have been a lot of low points for the Orioles organization over the last 14 years but this is rock bottom.

F*** PETER ANGELOS

LaCava turned the O's down because of that royal d-bag. He will NEVER EVER learn to let someone else make decisions for his team. It is his way(lose forever) or no one's way( possibly winning in the future). I will not go to any O's games or spend any money on them until a real change is made. I'd advise other O's fans also. There have been a lot of low points for the Orioles organization over the last 14 years but this is rock bottom.

Absolutely right unfortunately

F*** PETER ANGELOS

Maybe it's just my ignorance, but Angelos seems to have been pretty hands off the past few years when Macphail was in charge.

Maybe it's just my ignorance, but Angelos seems to have been pretty hands off the past few years when Macphail was in charge.

I just can't figure out another reason why this guy would have a couple of interviews with Buck, all reports say he would take the job if offered, but after his first meeting with PA, he turns the job down because he wants to stay an assistent GM in Canada. Seems to me that PA did something in that interview to change LaCava's mind. Could be completely wrong but this was the guy the O's needed to make a real change. He helped make all the moves that Toronto made that the O's should have made. Now we'll have no GM for the start of FA, and possibly the Winter Meetings.

I guess Buck is the GM for now and he stated the pitching will be the focus this offseason. I trust Buck, but no one else in the front office, especially the scouting and developing branch of the front office. That needs to be cleaned out and replaced. It's long overdue.

Archived