Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2011 Orioles Thread

I doubt the Orioles will be interested in many players that they know they have no chance to get. We'll probably see some bench players signed, but not much more. Maybe a veteran starter to help the young ones.

I wish someone would make Angelos an offer. It's the only way out of this mess and the basement of the AL East.

Apparently we're looking at Ortiz. We're also supposedly not interesed in Wilson or Buehrle - wonderful...

Buehrle is probably to follow Guillen and honestly, I would not touch Wilson. I am not very high on him and he is going to get a lot more than he should, even after his abysmal playoff performance. He is going to get a contract that some team is going to regret after year one. Just my opinion.

Neither of them would be coming to Baltimore anyways. Buehrle is reaching the end of his career and although he is a really good pitcher, I don't think he would be worth the investment because by the time we are ready to contend, he is likely to be done. Would it be a smart move for the Orioles to give a four-year deal at 13-14M per year to a guy that is going to be 33 on Opening Day? I personally don't think so. As for Wilson, I think he is going to stay in Texas, or head to the West Coast unless the Yankees or Red Sox throw stupid money at him. That is very possible, but that is not a move we can make. The Yankees can afford Carl Pavano 2.0 while we cannot afford to do that.

We need to be creative through the trade and international market, which thankfully are two of Duquette's strengths. I would be all for giving someone a big contract if I thought that it would make a significant impact on wins and losses next year and the subsequent seasons. But I just don't think that Wilson or Buehrle fit into that category. They are nice pieces, but they are not truly impact guys. But in a weak free agent market, they are going to be paid like top-shelf guys. I just don't think it should be from us.

little bird logo is fun, I think it should be on the sleeve still with a "B" logo on the hate.

But, I'm a Nats guy who loves the W. So maybe its a letters thing.

Overall very sharp. Hope with new Uni's and Logo bring new success for these guys. O's fans deserve something good to happen. Just not too much. ;)

---------- Post added November-17th-2011 at 10:59 AM ----------

Fielder

for 200mil?

little bird logo is fun, I think it should be on the sleeve still with a "B" logo on the hate.

But, I'm a Nats guy who loves the W. So maybe its a letters thing.

Overall very sharp. Hope with new Uni's and Logo bring new success for these guys. O's fans deserve something good to happen. Just not too much. ;)

---------- Post added November-17th-2011 at 10:59 AM ----------

for 200mil?

Whatever it takes...O's need SOMETHING.

What, we can't sign any big names? Since when did the Orioles become the Royals and Pirates?

That's funny considering both had better records than the O's last year, and more in the farm system. Just saying, O's need to do things the right way now and take a longer term approach.

Also, MLB added two wild card teams today... hopes to have the new playoff schedule installed next year.

That's funny considering both had better records than the O's last year, and more in the farm system. Just saying, O's need to do things the right way now and take a longer term approach.

Also, MLB added two wild card teams today... hopes to have the new playoff schedule installed next year.

100% correct. They need to be honest with the fans that this is a rebuild. I hate how teams can't just admit that. The last time we heard it was Leonsis with the Caps.

What, we can't sign any big names? Since when did the Orioles become the Royals and Pirates?

No, I think we would go after free agents if they made sense for us. We are not going to spend money just to spend money. This free agent class is awful and honestly, none of the big name guys that are out there would make much sense for us to pursue. The only one that really makes sense is Fielder, but I sure as hell would not give him the 8 years, 200M that he is seeking. That is going to get lower, and I would imagine that we would have discussions when it does. But while we suck, we also can't afford to get locked into $200M contracts if Prince decides to go all Mo Vaughn on us.

C.J. Wilson is not an ace, but he will get ace money - Pass

Jose Reyes is a selfish player that has been hurt quite a bit recently - Pass

Mark Buehrle will be 33 on opening day and wants a four-year deal - Pass

Pujols will be 32 on opening day and for what we would have to pay him to get him here, he better learn to play multiple positions - Pass

Do we really want David Ortiz? He is 36 and even if we do, he is probably still staying in Boston - Pass

We really need pitching and after Wilson and Buehrle, what is there from a free agent perspective? Javier Vazquez is the next best thing and he was pondering retirement and Hiroki Kuroda is not leaving L.A. After that, you are looking at guys like Chris Capuano, Edwin Jackson and our good friend Erik Bedard. I would not mind taking a shot at Jackson, but someone is going to see that he throws hard and be the next in a long line that thinks they can fix his control problems and give him a stupid deal.

As I said earlier, we have to be creative. I think we will sign one veteran starter to a shorter contract (Duquette essentially said not to expect a pitcher being signed to more than a 3-year deal, which I agree with) and then may make a trade for another. As for position players, I think that we will end up signing someone like Aramis Ramirez or Michael Cuddyer to a shorter reasonable deal, and then explore the trade market on that front as well. I know those signings would not be terribly exciting, but to me, the offense was not the problem last season. We need to get the pitching staff in order. We had the worst ERA in the AL by a pretty wide margin.

I don't think I've ever been so cynical in my 29 years regarding the O's. I don't even know where to begin because we have so many holes. Someone who can hit for a good average would be a start.

Starting pitching and bullpen help. If I have to go one more year watching Kevin Gregg blow save after save I am going to throw up on my couch. Matusz, Britton, Tillman, Arrieta...I pray to Allah that one of them becomes good.

Just youth...anywhere. Jones, Markakis, Wieters, Reimold....one of those guys needs to step up. Brian Roberts is done, I'm sorry. He gets injured every week. Put Andino there. Hardy is cool at SS. Reynolds....bleh but he's our best power hitter by far. Who is at 1st? I dunno. Put Josh Bell there for all I care.

Archived