Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2011 Orioles Thread

Reynolds....bleh but he's our best power hitter by far. Who is at 1st? I dunno. Put Josh Bell there for all I care.

I think we will end up with Aramis Ramirez at third and Reynolds at first or Cuddyer and Reynolds on the corners. Which, honestly would be fine with me. I like Chris Davis, but I still have my reservations about whether he is an everyday player.

Lol.

But seriously, I was trying to think of this earlier. Past-his-prime Cal doesn't count. I mean a superstar who is playing at a superstar level. Is it still Cal Ripken? Has it been that long?

Probably Cal in '91 when he won MVP. You had Brady Anderson's 50-HR season in '96, and Palmeiro, Roberto Alomar. Alomar competed for the batting title with the O's in what, '97? Not sure if you'd count them. Pitching-wise Mussina is about the closest you'd come to a superstar in recent years.

If you don't count those guys, then yeah, you'd probably have to go Cal in '91. That was his last superstar-type season, although he had several more good years.

P.S. Go Nats. :)

You don't have to go all the way back to Cal to find the last superstar to play for the O's. Palmeiro, Alomar, Tejada, Bell and Mussina were all superstars.

Yeah, I said Tejada earlier. 34 homers 150 rbi's above 300 for average in 04. He was a superstar and played like it for a few years in Baltimore. Belle was a superstar when he got to Baltimore but it quickly ended after he started to play for them.

It's awesome but only when teams are tied in the standings.

I think that there are just too many worthy teams left out of the playoffs. I can't find the negative in letting a couple more teams in. The elimination process will be quick.

And while the extra teams coming in may not be tied, they would likely only be a couple games out of first in their division. Heck, maybe one game back. And in baseball, a couple of games separating two teams is not an indicator of how good the teams really are. A team with 93 wins could very well be better than a team with 95 wins.

I'm all about having the best teams in the playoffs.

Buehrle is probably to follow Guillen and honestly, I would not touch Wilson. I am not very high on him and he is going to get a lot more than he should, even after his abysmal playoff performance. He is going to get a contract that some team is going to regret after year one. Just my opinion.

I don't know man - it's just obviously frustrating being an Orioles fan. You have to crap or get off the pot at some point. We have some good pieces in place to build around, but never make any serious moves to contend. We always make B or C type of moves and that won't get us anywhere. Go get Fielder for God's sake. Do something to appease the fanbase. I agree pitching is of upmost importance, so go get our 1st baseman instead. They have to do something big to inject some damn life into the city and their fans.

I don't know man - it's just obviously frustrating being an Orioles fan. You have to crap or get off the pot at some point. We have some good pieces in place to build around, but never make any serious moves to contend. We always make B or C type of moves and that won't get us anywhere. Go get Fielder for God's sake. Do something to appease the fanbase. I agree pitching is of upmost importance, so go get our 1st baseman instead. They have to do something big to inject some damn life into the city and their fans.

Oh I agree, and I would have a different opinion if we were in a different spot. But we are more than one move away. I would be fine with Fielder, I just would stay away from the pitching options out there in the free agent market. I just think we could do a lot better in a trade. Now, I don't know with who and for who, but I am certainly not comfortable giving C.J. Wilson $100M. I just don't think there is enough of a track record to justify that. And I know it is not my money, but it is my team that would be stuck with a bad contract that kept them from spending in better directions.

Oh I agree, and I would have a different opinion if we were in a different spot. But we are more than one move away. I would be fine with Fielder, I just would stay away from the pitching options out there in the free agent market. I just think we could do a lot better in a trade. Now, I don't know with who and for who, but I am certainly not comfortable giving C.J. Wilson $100M. I just don't think there is enough of a track record to justify that. And I know it is not my money, but it is my team that would be stuck with a bad contract that kept them from spending in better directions.

Maybe a $100M is steep for CJ Wilson, but this team needs pitching and at some point they are going to have to take a risk to get a front-line starter. Very few starters are going to enter the Free Agent market under the age of 30 and this team doesn't compete solely because of the starting pitching. Wilson would immediately be the Ace which would slide our younger pitchers down a slot and not force one of them into a role they aren't ready for yet.

Anyways, it appears the O's have no interest in any pitcher that would take more than a 3 year contract to sign.

• 2 weeks later...
Per Roch DD says no fielder he said the Os already have a power hitting 1b

Please. Sure, he has power, but he cannot hit for average and is as big a liability if not more than Prince with the glove. The Reynolds trade was a mistake - period. Hernandez is a lights out closer, which we're still trying to find. Tillman was the man to deal and I said so from jump. I hope this GM has a freaking clue because the previous one did not.

Archived