Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2011 Orioles Thread

OK, let's give the condescending National fans their wish and talk some Oriole baseball in our own thread.

As of tonight, it appears that we'll have all 3 of our pitching prospects in the rotation (Matusz, Tillman, Arrieta).

Tillman pitched great against NY last night and hopefully Arrieta will have a nice debut. Also, I've heard that the team might hire a permanent manager at some point during the season. I think we can take some optimism out of 2010 if our young pitchers get some experience, we call up some positional prospects, and we are playing under our long-term manager. Chin up...we were where the Nats are right now at this time last year, things can change in a heartbeat.

Thoughts?

Well, from what I've been reading Arrieta has the chance to be a number 1 pitcher. He has all the make up to become that type of pitcher. After all the talk of how ****y/how confident this kid is of himself let's see if he can back it up by keeping the team in the game.

The O's won't win, but let's see what his stat line is at the end of the night.

Tillman looked pretty good last night. If it wasn't for 3 errors, he may have gotten the win. I'll be interested to see what Arrieta does tonight. Its nice to have all of the young guys that we've heard about for the past few seasons in the bigs now. Matusz has looked better his last 2 starts, but still hasn't gotten a win.

This team has the young guys in place to be successful: Wieters, Jones, Markakis, Matusz, Tillman, Arrieta. Hopefully we'll see later in the year what Bell and Snyder can do too. They just need a manager to come in and get these guys to play to their potential. They shouldn't be as bad as they are right now. So the future is still bright, they just hit a bump in the road this season.

I think Arrieta's debut has the potential to be more impressive (though under the radar) than Strasburg's. If he pitches even as well as Tillman did last night (no guarantee of course), then you could make the argument that 1 ER over 6 innings vs. NYY is just as impressive as 2 ER over 7 innings vs. Pit.

Granted, he won't have the 14 Ks or the 100 MPH fastballs to dazzle people, but the goal is to get outs and not give up runs, right?

We'll see. The good thing is that this is a win-win debut. If he gets rocked, it's OK because the best team in the league is doing it. If he pitches OK or well, then wow, it was vs. NY!

I think Arrieta's debut has the potential to be more impressive (though under the radar) than Strasburg's. If he pitches even as well as Tillman did last night (no guarantee of course), then you could make the argument that 1 ER over 6 innings vs. NYY is just as impressive as 2 ER over 7 innings vs. Pit.

Granted, he won't have the 14 Ks or the 100 MPH fastballs to dazzle people, but the goal is to get outs and not give up runs, right?

We'll see. The good thing is that this is a win-win debut. If he gets rocked, it's OK because the best team in the league is doing it. If he pitches OK or well, then wow, it was vs. NY!

I don't think its quite a win-win. If he gets rocked, that could hurt his confidence, which wouldn't be good at all. I think he will pitch well since the Yankees probably don't have much of a scouting report on him. No he won't pitch as well as Strasburg did, but he should have a decent outing. 5IP, 7H, 2ER, 2BB, 4K

Yeah, I have heard the same thing about a permanent manager getting hired soon. I honestly do not know how to feel about it. On one hand, I am all for injecting a little life into the organization, because things are obviosly not going well right now. But on the other hand, a new manager probably is not going to be able to build the kind of staff he wants to during the season. Most desirable coaches are....already coaching with somebody else.

I heard that Eric Wedge and Bobby Valentine were interviewing soon. I do not have any interest in Wedge, his Cleveland teams underachieved IMO. And while my first reaction to Valentine is positive, his tenure with the Mets was interesting, but not terribly successful. Not to mention not doing much with the Rangers back in the day. The experience and success in Japan is interesting though, that probably brings a new perspective on discipline, which I do not think the O's have much of right now.

I would have to think that others will be involved, such as Bob Melvin, but I would not mind considering guys like Ryne Sandberg and Don Mattingly. I know that great players usually do not make great managers, but both of these guys have been very successful as coaches. Sandberg already said that he would listen if they wanted to talk to him about it.

I don't think its quite a win-win. If he gets rocked, that could hurt his confidence, which wouldn't be good at all. I think he will pitch well since the Yankees probably don't have much of a scouting report on him. No he won't pitch as well as Strasburg did, but he should have a decent outing. 5IP, 7H, 2ER, 2BB, 4K

From what I've read about this guy, he has the mental makeup of a champion. I don't think even 10 ERs/4 HRs would have a lasting affect on him. My point is more that, even getting rocked has the caveat of coming against the World Series champs.

Conversely, had SS got rocked vs. Pittsburgh, that certainly would have been a disaster (he may have handled it just fine though).

All in all, of course he won't do what SS did. My point was more that a Tillman-like performance vs. the defending WS champs in Arrieta's debut could arguably be considered just as impressive as what SS did to the worst team in the NL.

No I do not, got these a while ago and I'm not going to be able to make it tonight.

Ah gotcha. When I go to the games now I just by the upper reserve seats for like $8/$9 and sit wherever. Usually either right by the foul pole in right field or right down the 1st base line. The ushers said as long as you don't try to sit behind homeplate, they won't say anything.

Ah gotcha. When I go to the games now I just by the upper reserve seats for like $8/$9 and sit wherever. Usually either right by the foul pole in right field or right down the 1st base line. The ushers said as long as you don't try to sit behind homeplate, they won't say anything.

And to think...this stadium used to fill up its Standing Room Only areas!

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/2010/06/would_you_trade_the_os_organiz_1.html

Would you trade the O's organization for the Nationals?

Anyway, while at Nationals Park on Tuesday, I was pleasantly surprised about how electric the scene was. The fans were on their feet off and on throughout the game; they even gave Strasburg a standing ovation when he walked in from the bullpen after his warmups.

That’s great for Washington to have something to be so excited about. And it got me wondering. Now that they have Strasburg up and have drafted potential slugger Bryce Harper on Monday, I want to know if you would trade the Orioles’ organization straight up for the Nationals’ organization.

You get everything they have, the 25-man roster, the farm system, GM Mike Rizzo and manager Jim Riggleman, Ryan Zimmerman and Drew Storen, the Lerner family and the Harper negotiations. You’d have to give up Andy MacPhail and the managerial search, Nick Markakis, Adam Jones and Brian Matusz, the Machado negotiations and, yes, Orioles current ownership.

The only things you get to keep are the American League East, the name, colors and logo and Camden Yards. Those are bittersweet remnants.

I am still not sure I’d do it. I think the Orioles’ young talent base is deeper. Perhaps not as talented, but deeper.

Would you?

I don't think I would either. I agree that our talent base is deeper, but the Nats seem to have 2 of the top prospects of all-time. I still think this O's team could be good in the next year or two. They just need the right manager in place.

I have high hopes for them, unfortunately, they are anchored squarely to the bottom of the harbor by the bullpen that will undoubtedly destroy any gems these pitchers might throw in the 8th and 9th innings.

I want whoever they hire to have a track record of being able to get underachieving players to perform. The O's have bats, yet they never hit with men in scoring position. And it's so consistent that there has to be something fundamentally wrong about the approach they are taking as hitters. Whoever comes in, if they can fix that the O's are instantly 100% better.

Unfortunately the bullpen is a lost cause this season There is literally NO one there. The only answer to it is to have 5 and 6 run leads going into the 8th instead of 1 run leads.

~Bang

Unfortunately the bullpen is a lost cause this season There is literally NO one there. The only answer to it is to have 5 and 6 run leads going into the 8th instead of 1 run leads.

~Bang

See, I think the shuffling of the rotation could make the 'pen stronger. If opening day starters are now out of the rotation, couldn't they fortify the bullpen? I'm thinking about Hernandez and Bergesen specifically.

I have high hopes for them, unfortunately, they are anchored squarely to the bottom of the harbor by the bullpen that will undoubtedly destroy any gems these pitchers might throw in the 8th and 9th innings.

I want whoever they hire to have a track record of being able to get underachieving players to perform. The O's have bats, yet they never hit with men in scoring position. And it's so consistent that there has to be something fundamentally wrong about the approach they are taking as hitters. Whoever comes in, if they can fix that the O's are instantly 100% better.

~Bang

Agree with both points here. The bullpen needs to be fixed before there is any hope of being successful. Albers is horrible, Hendrickson is inconsistent, Berken has been solid surprisingly, but that's it. Anytime someone from the bullpen comes in, I get nervous because anything can happen. Like giving up 6 runs in the 7th the other night.

I think they need to fire Crowley very soon. It would be one thing if one of our young hitters wasn't hitting well, but its the whole team. No one is hitting over .300; Weiters, Jones, and Markakis are all struggling; Luke Scott either is really hot or really cold; and we have no power in the lineup. So we need a hitting coach that can make some adjustments for the hitters. Jones, Markakis, and Weiters were supposed to take off this year. Neither of them are really doing much of anything right now.

I'm glad Arrieta is getting recalled. He was a first round type of talent when drafted, but slipped in the draft with Boras as his agent and teams had some injury concerns.

He's had success at every level and hopefully makes the jump. I mean, everything else has gone wrong this year...so maybe something good will finally happen.

I'm really hoping that we see some strides made by Arrieta, Matusz, and Tillman during the last 100 games of the year. If we see that plus an improved bullpen (since former starters can slide into the 'pen), I think our pitching can be on the right track. I wouldn't even be surprised to see us improve over the next couple years to the top half of AL in ERA.

Also, I'd love to see us promote some younger position players once we have our long-term manager in place. What is the point of Valentine or Wedge managing Atkins or Tejada? Bring up the kids and let this thing gel.

Doyler, I know you're well-versed on the O's...do I have any hope of seeing what I described?

Doyler, I know you're well-versed on the O's...do I have any hope of seeing what I described?

I like the idea of keeping Bergesen and Hernandez in the pen and having Arrieta, Tillman and Matusz taking the hill every 5th day. If they end up trading Guthrie or Millwood, then you have a couple guys in the pen who can make starts.

That way, you have three starters in the pen in Hernandez, Berken and Bergesen. In a perfect world, Gonzo would have panned, JJ and Uehara would have stayed healthy and Simon would have been a decent 6th inning guy with the O man as the LOOGY guy. That hasn't happened.

It's just that kind of season.

Thanks for starting this thread.

The only reason the Nats thread was hi-jacked was because I believe this is a pivotal moment for the future of DC-area O's fans. We are going to lose a lot of fans with the Nats briging in legit stars and the Orioles having the worst start imaginable. I dont know about you guys, but that just makes my stomach churn. That, and the fact that its frustrating to be a DC sports fan, on "one of the greatest nights in DC sports history (Stras debut)," and not be able to truly enjoy it. So I think thats why there is this frustration being expressed.

But anyway, onward and upward....

I'm looking foward to watching Arrieta tonight. Hopefully we can get him some runs. It seems like Burnett has owned us of late.

I like the idea of keeping Bergesen and Hernandez in the pen and having Arrieta, Tillman and Matusz taking the hill every 5th day. If they end up trading Guthrie or Millwood, then you have a couple guys in the pen who can make starts.

That way, you have three starters in the pen in Hernandez, Berken and Bergesen. In a perfect world, Gonzo would have panned, JJ and Uehara would have stayed healthy and Simon would have been a decent 6th inning guy with the O man as the LOOGY guy. That hasn't happened.

It's just that kind of season.

When you're in year 13 of sub-.500 baseball, I don't see why you wouldn't get a little creative like that. Personally, I'd get the best pitchers we have to put them somewhere on the ML team (within reason of course). Even if a starting prospect had to pitch out of the bullpen for a while, who cares?

I'd use a similar strategy around the diamond. Bring up Snyder and/or Bell and get the kids started. How much harm can you really do?

I'm looking foward to watching Arrieta tonight. Hopefully we can get him some runs. It seems like Burnett has owned us of late.

I'm excited too. We finally have our Big Three in the starting rotation, so the next 100 games will at least give us a good read on how they are progressing.

I don't expect him/us to win thanks to our inability to score. But if he can pitch anywhere similar to how Tillman pitched last night, I'd consider that an impressive ML debut. In some ways, taking into account the opponent, a Tillman-esque performance would be just as good as what Strasburg did to Pittsburgh.

Archived