Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2011 Orioles Thread

I'm actually excited to go to the game Sat night.

I bought the wrong game, though. When I signed up for my 6 pack, I thought 6/12 was floppy hat night (which is tonight). Turns out to be "Ravens Rally cap Night" or something. Booooooo......

6/12 is Floppy Hat night so you're in luck! I think the Ravens cap night got pushed back because something happened with their order, I remember reading that somewhere.

Very impressed with Arrieta and Hernandez last night. Arrieta had a very good start against one of the best lineups in baseball, so big ups to him. Hernandez did a nice job of closing the game considering he had never done it before. He has good closer stuff since he can throw some heat. Hopefully, Hernandez can be our closer of the future.

Very impressed with Arrieta and Hernandez last night. Arrieta had a very good start against one of the best lineups in baseball, so big ups to him. Hernandez did a nice job of closing the game considering he had never done it before. He has good closer stuff since he can throw some heat. Hopefully, Hernandez can be our closer of the future.

Yeah, I'm really all for the O's getting their best 12 or 13 pitchers in the organization (within reason, of course) and putting them in the majors. If a "starter" needs to be in the 'pen, you do it.

When you've been this bad for this long, you have to take some creative steps towards addressing deficiencies. Having a decent/good/great pitcher always on the mound would be a major improvement for this organization.

Now, I don't know enough about the minors to know if they even have 12 pitchers who are at DH's level...but I don't think we can keep worrying about cultivating this guy as a starter, that guy as a long-reliever, this other guy as a closer, etc. Get the good pitchers and have them pitch as you need them.

Hernandez did a nice job of closing the game considering he had never done it before. He has good closer stuff since he can throw some heat. Hopefully, Hernandez can be our closer of the future.

Hernandez has the type of fastball that you want out of a closer. That thing is humming, with movement.

When Mike Gonzalez comes back, what do we do with him? I'm thinking he can be our new bat boy or something. We've got to get some value for that 2nd rounder.

Hernandez has the type of fastball that you want out of a closer. That thing is humming, with movement.

When Mike Gonzalez comes back, what do we do with him? I'm thinking he can be our new bat boy or something. We've got to get some value for that 2nd rounder.

Maybe try and trade Gonzalez? I mean he was pretty solid last year so maybe we could get something for him.

I saw yesterday on Rotoworld that the Cardinals maybe have some interest in Millwood. Should we move him?

Maybe try and trade Gonzalez? I mean he was pretty solid last year so maybe we could get something for him.

I saw yesterday on Rotoworld that the Cardinals maybe have some interest in Millwood. Should we move him?

I would have no problem moving Millwood, Wigginton, or Luke Scott. They're probably the only guys with some value that aren't part of our youth movement.

I would have no problem moving Millwood, Wigginton, or Luke Scott. They're probably the only guys with some value that aren't part of our youth movement.

I'd include Guthrie as well. I really wouldn't mind moving anyone who might make us a better team overall. It's becoming apparent that we have some pitching in the organization...maybe it's time to consider moving some young arms for some offense?

See I don't know. I think we need some veterans on this team. That way there isn't so much pressure on the younger guys to produce right away. I think that is Jones' problem because he is pressing. Granted those guys could have some value, but we need to start working on getting some infielders and a power bat. I don't think we could get much of anything for them so it would be better to hold on to them and use them to help the younger guys.

See I don't know. I think we need some veterans on this team. That way there isn't so much pressure on the younger guys to produce right away. I think that is Jones' problem because he is pressing. Granted those guys could have some value, but we need to start working on getting some infielders and a power bat. I don't think we could get much of anything for them so it would be better to hold on to them and use them to help the younger guys.

That is true. We definitely need some veteren presence. Wish we had more options.

I think Millwood would be tough to move because of his salary, but maybe I'm wrong. Luke Scott to me has the most value, teams salavate over his power. I just wish he wasn't so streaky, but he could really help a team in a playoff push when he gets hot. It would be nice to see him go on a Luke Scott tear in July, right before the trade deadline.

BTW, Adam Jones is finally starting to heat up.

I'm glad Jones is finally starting to hit! Now if we can just get Wieters to get going, I'll be happy!

Scott could have value, but you're right, he's way too streaky. He can go on an absolute tear, but then he can be cold as ice. So I don't know what a team would be willing to give up to get him.

Edit: Nice to see Mooney came in to add a nice tag to the thread...

Jones is doing a little better...I'd like to see him sustain it for a while. I too really need to start seeing something from Wieters!

Wieters in May was just awful. Hopefully he'll start to heat up soon. He's got a lot on his shoulders what with handling a pitching staff full of rookies and not really having any bats around him.

He'll get it together though.

Well, I really didn't mean that as an insult. You have a slam-dunk, best-pitcher-in-the-game guy. We don't. What we do have is numbers. We have 3-4 guys who are highly-regarded prospects who have already ascended through the minors.

I don't mean to imply that you have SS and bunch of tomato cans, but do you have anyone else in your rotation who is supposed to be as good as our Big Three? Granted, all three of our guys could suck by this time next year...but you understand the point I'm making.

Again, that wasn't meant to be me bragging about the O's as much as showing a difference in how our rotations might be set up.

As good as your Big Three by draft position or by what they've shown so far? Ross Detweiler was drafted #6 overall 2-3 years ago but has had injuries as well as problems adjusting to the big league game. Jordan Zimmermann has the potential to be a very solid #3 and possibly a competent #2, his stuff was pretty electric, but he's in the middle of rehabbing from the dreaded Tommy John surgery, so who knows what he'll be like when he gets back.

Then there's a bunch of guys like Atilano, Lannan, etc, who seem capable but not really star guys. So no, I don't think we have the same top end depth as the O's, unless Zimmermann returns to full form. But it sure is nice having a #1 that makes you believe a win is in the bag. Even if it's not, the belief feels nice.

As good as your Big Three by draft position or by what they've shown so far? Ross Detweiler was drafted #6 overall 2-3 years ago but has had injuries as well as problems adjusting to the big league game. Jordan Zimmermann has the potential to be a very solid #3 and possibly a competent #2, his stuff was pretty electric, but he's in the middle of rehabbing from the dreaded Tommy John surgery, so who knows what he'll be like when he gets back.

Then there's a bunch of guys like Atilano, Lannan, etc, who seem capable but not really star guys. So no, I don't think we have the same top end depth as the O's, unless Zimmermann returns to full form. But it sure is nice having a #1 that makes you believe a win is in the bag. Even if it's not, the belief feels nice.

I look at it this way, the Nats have 2 really good top of line prospects in Strasburg and Harper. Maybe the O's don't have the starpower of those 2, but they have a deep pool of prospects that all could be very solid players. The Nats have a nice pool of talent too, I just don't think its has deep as the O's. The Nats are top heavy, which isn't a bad thing, but the O's just seem to have more in their system.

Anybody know much about Machado? I've just read a few things in the lead up to the draft. We probably won't see him for 3-4 years, but seems like an exciting prospect to have in the organization.

There's been comparisons to A-Rod. But I'm thinking he sounds more like a Hanley Ramirez type. Maybe less speed, but a 3-hole hitter at SS. Apparently the game comes natural too him. The only quesitons is with a size 13 shoe, he might grow closer to 6'5" which would mean he would have to play 3B.

Anybody know much about Machado? I've just read a few things in the lead up to the draft. We probably won't see him for 3-4 years, but seems like an exciting prospect to have in the organization.

There's been comparisons to A-Rod. But I'm thinking he sounds more like a Hanley Ramirez type. Maybe less speed, but a 3-hole hitter at SS. Apparently the game comes natural too him. The only quesitons is with a size 13 shoe, he might grow closer to 6'5" which would mean he would have to play 3B.

I saw a scouting report that said he could be a .275-.290 hitter with 15-20 HRs. I wouldn't mind that considering we get nothing at all offensively from the SS position.

http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/draft/player/_/id/18914/manny-machado

http://www.mlbfantasyprospects.com/2010/06/2010-mlb-draft-fantasy-profiles-middle-infielder-rankings-scouting-manny-machado-christian-colon-yordy-cabrera-and-more.html

Baseball America: Few players in this draft draw as diverse a range of opinions as Machado. Some see a future A-Rod; in reality, Machado profiles as an above-average defensive shortstop, with a strong arm and buttery-smooth fielding skills. He projects as a .275-.290 hitter with 15-20-homer potential. Not A-Rod, but not bad. In recent drafts the Orioles have selected pitchers with their first picks. Strong on young arms but weak on position players, the Birds hope that Machado will team with Adam Jones and Matt Wieters to form the backbone of their future.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/baseball/mlb/06/07/2010.draft.tracker/index.html#ixzz0qYzP17aB

Well, they haven't shown anything thus far really. That wasn't my point. My point was that if both teams get lucky (within reason) with their prospects, the O's are built to have a very deep rotation while the Nats will have one STAR (who is better than anyone in the O's rotation) but no one else really at the #1/#2 starter level.

It's possible, given talent and what they've shown in limited starts this year, that the O's have 3-4 guys who could be #2-caliber pitchers. That's why I compared that scenario to the Braves of the 1990s. It's absolutely no guarantee...but they have infused their system with very highly-regarded pitching prospects and they have that type of talent at every level right now (including 3 guys now in the starting rotation in Baltimore).

Guthrie settled down, Orioles hitting deficiencies in games like this when they dont have much experience against a pitcher come down to strategy and making adjustments, the longer Crowley gets to sit his fatass on the bench and collect paychecks the more this team's future stars are being set back.

Guthrie settled down, Orioles hitting deficiencies in games like this when they dont have much experience against a pitcher come down to strategy and making adjustments, the longer Crowley gets to sit his fatass on the bench and collect paychecks the more this team's future stars are being set back.

Had em loaded with no outs...didn't score. Markakis hits a leadoff single...didn't score. Great...

More of the same with this year's team. If a pitcher can't keep a team under 4 runs, we're cooked.

Edit: I'm not sure how to update the thread title since Arrieta's debut isn't really relevant. If someone knows, just say so and I'll periodically keep it current.

You hit "Edit" to your original post, then hit "Edit" again and the title pops up. Change that and save.

Archived