Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2011 Orioles Thread

I think Tillman is starting to find it. You can see the ability. He just needs to get his control together and be consistent. Hopefully last night will add to his confidence.

I like Tillman a lot as a starter. While I don't think he'll eb an ace, I think he can be a very solid 3-4 guy who can keep you in a ton of games.

I also like that with the starters in the bullpen a legit pitcher will start (barring injuries) every game for the rest of the year. If someone gets hurt, like Guthrie is kinda banged up, then someone like Bergesen can get a spot start. We don't have to throw some abomination out there like in previous years.

I'd also like to so Patton up sometime in some role. The guy has had a slew of injuries, and would like to see him get a shot.

As for some of the everyday guys, I'd like Bell to get himself up here. There is some talk of Snyder not doing so ell in AAA because of it being a pitcher's park and that has been changing his game.

I also have a lot of secold half hope for Reimold. The guy has had a tough year on and off the field.

I like Tillman a lot as a starter. While I don't think he'll eb an ace, I think he can be a very solid 3-4 guy who can keep you in a ton of games.

I also like that with the starters in the bullpen a legit pitcher will start (barring injuries) every game for the rest of the year. If someone gets hurt, like Guthrie is kinda banged up, then someone like Bergesen can get a spot start. We don't have to throw some abomination out there like in previous years.

I'd also like to so Patton up sometime in some role. The guy has had a slew of injuries, and would like to see him get a shot.

As for some of the everyday guys, I'd like Bell to get himself up here. There is some talk of Snyder not doing so ell in AAA because of it being a pitcher's park and that has been changing his game.

I also have a lot of secold half hope for Reimold. The guy has had a tough year on and off the field.

I hope we see Snyder and Bell in the 2nd half. I mean why not bring them up and see what they can do, not like we have better options right now. The thing with Bell is, where does Tejada go? Does he DH or move back to SS? Tejada has been decent this year so it would suck to take him out of the lineup, but could he still play SS if we needed him to?

I just hope guys like Wieters, Jones, and Markakis turn things around in the 2nd half. Those are our 3 hitters of the future and we need them to start hitting. I think Reimold wasn't quite healed at the start of the season so I think he'll come back in the 2nd half and be fine.

I agree with all of this. What exactly happened to Reimold off the field. I've read some vague things about his personal issues this year, but nothing specific. I hope the kid is doing OK.

I agree with all of this. What exactly happened to Reimold off the field. I've read some vague things about his personal issues this year, but nothing specific. I hope the kid is doing OK.

I don't want to post it because its a pretty screwed up story, and its just a rumor. So PM me if you want me to send links to the "story"

I agree aout Tillman for the most part. Hopefully we'll get a look at our future #1 starter tonight! :cool:

I think we're all pretty anxious to see Bell, I know I am. He hasn't been that great down there this year, and you want them to have to earn their way to the bigs. But at a certain point we need to find out what we've got in him.

I'll go with that Doyler. I'd also add :

Will exit the game with a 1 run lead in the 8th after allowing 2 runners on base, and the reliever will come in and promptly give up a 3 run HR to Swisher and smack him with a loss.

I want my optimism back, dammit!

~Bang

I think Albers has some serious dirt on MacPhail. Nothing else justifies him being a mlb pitcher. Every third pitch is a meatball. Low 90's middle of the plate. You can tell he just turns around watching the ball sail into the gap thinking to himself " How am I still employed?"

As far as Arrieta I expect a strong performance. He is completely dominating triple-A. MY guess 6 IP 6 H 3 ER 5 k. A game that probably looks better than the stats let on. Hopefully the bats stay alive and get him a W.

I'll go with that Doyler. I'd also add :

Will exit the game with a 1 run lead in the 8th after allowing 2 runners on base, and the reliever will come in and promptly give up a 3 run HR

~Bang

100% chance if he departs with runners on base, they will score.

I think Albers has some serious dirt on MacPhail. Nothing else justifies him being a mlb pitcher. Every third pitch is a meatball. Low 90's middle of the plate. You can tell he just turns around watching the ball sail into the gap thinking to himself " How am I still employed?"

He must have found out whatever Terry Crowley has on someone in the front office. How is he still employed!?!

Arrieta

Welcome to the majors, Jake Arrieta

By Joseph Pawlikowski in Pitching.

When I put together the Orioles series preview on Tuesday, tonight’s matchup was listed as A.J. Burnett vs. Jeremy Guthrie. The Yanks have faced Guthrie a few times every year since the Orioles picked him up in 2007, so they have a decent history against him. It’s a mostly favorable one, as Guthrie has allowed 48 runs, 47 earned, in 81.1 innings. That has been largely courtesy of the longball, 15 of them. Many of us were looking forward to more of the same tonight.

Instead, the Orioles decided to push back Guthrie a day and insert Jake Arrieta. A fifth round pick in 2007, Arietta ranked fourth on Baseball America’s 2010 top 10 Orioles prospects list. The move makes enough sense. Again, the Yankees have seen plenty of Guthrie in the past four years. The Orioles, desperate for a win against their division foes, want to muster any possible advantage. Bringing up a highly touted prospect seems like as good an idea as any. That Arrieta is absolutely dominating AAA makes the decision a bit easier.

In terms of stuff, Arrieta is all there. He throws a 92-94 mph fastball that “has the action to generate swings and misses.” (Per Baseball America.) He also has a slider that BA says can be a good pitch “at times.” He also has a changeup that is a work in progress, and a curveball that is mostly reserved for lefties. Keith Law notes that Arrieta is ” a four-pitch guy with no plus pitch but nothing below-average.” That puts him in the No. 3 to No. 4 starter range, though as BA notes, his pure stuff probably puts him a bit higher than that.

What holds Arrieta back is his lack of command. All scouting sources I’ve seen make distinct note of that. He can get a bit wild inside the zone, which doesn’t bode well against major league hitters, especially of the caliber the Yankees’ lineup features. He also has a little problem with the walks. He handed out 56 free passes last season, when he pitched at both AA and AAA. That was the most in the Orioles’ system. He has already walked 34 in 73 innings this year, so it doesn’t look like something he’s improved on.

It seems like the Yankees hitters should be comfortable enough with Arrieta on the mound, despite never having seen him. He plays to their strengths, not only with the walks, but also the lack of command of pitches in the strike zone. Then again, the same could have been, and was, said about Brandon Morrow. Yet he shut down the Yanks offense. I can see Arrieta doing the same. If, for this one start, he throws tons of strikes he could give the Yanks fits.

I dont mind this call up, Guthrie has been torched by the Yankees this season, if Arrieta can keep his control I like him for 6 2/3, 5k, 3bb, 2ER.

I imagine the bullpen will blow it again tho, there isnt an arm in that pen I trust to get an out in crunch time.

For the Orioles:

Corey Patterson LF

Miguel Tejada 3B

Nick Markakis RF

Ty Wigginton 1B

Luke Scott DH

Adam Jones CF

Matt Wieters C

Scott Moore 2B

Cesar Izturis SS

Jake Arrieta RHP

For the Yankees: