Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2011 Orioles Thread

Very true. And Phillies fans today are generally very uneducated about the sport.

About baseball? Wow, tough quote there. Definately unsubstantiated.

---------- Post added January-26th-2012 at 07:38 PM ----------

Dude, 60% of the fans that fill up Citizens Bank Park were not Phillies fans before the current run began.

I know, but what team has that??? Seriously - all teams that have waves of greatness and then bad years do the same thing the Phillies and their fans are doing, i'm not denying it.

I miss the days where i can walk up day of game and get a ticket. Thats impossible now! But I enjoy a playoff atmosphere every night.

Very true. And Phillies fans today are generally very uneducated about the sport.
About baseball? Wow, tough quote there. Definately unsubstantiated.

My girlfriend (Phillies fan) and another couple (also Phillies fans) went to the Sunday Night Cardinals-Phillies game at the end of September last year. Before the game we were walking around outside of the stadium and we ran into a small group of people huddled together. When we got closer we noticed John Kruk standing in the middle of the pack signing autographs and such. I tell my girlfriend we should go get our picture taken with him so we walk up to the group and are waiting for him to make his way towards us. Beside us is a guy, probably in his mid thirties with his son who is maybe 5. He tells his son to go ask Kruk to sign his glove. The kid asks his dad who he is. The dad responds, no word of a lie, "that's John Kruk, he used to be a PITCHER for the Phillies".

Orioles with 2 players in the Top 10! Machado and Bundy.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/prospects/watch/y2012/index.jsp

Maybe the other Bundy will pitch himself into the money, too!

Rangers are actively trying to trade Uehara. I guess we can consider his time here a failure. :doh: Thanks O's. :mad:

Yea, he used his limited NTC to stop a trade to the Jays. Maybe we can get him back in Bmore.

yep and in close games. He was a victim of our jet stream for sure. I don't dislike Uehara, but he was a master at giving up big HRs.

most teams know better than to trade for pitching from the team that has had the worst pitching for a decade or so.

that said, ill take uehara back in baltimore.

Apparently there is something going down btw the Cards and the O's. Could be involving Adam Jones. Could be the Cards dumping money and giving Westbrook or someone like that to us to clear up space so they can sign Oswalt. I'm thinking the latter but, who knows. I wonder who we could get from them for Jones...probably won't be any exciting news but I can hope.

Edit: Sounds more like Kyle McClellan. womp womp womp...

I have no idea why they don't sign Edwin Jackson.

ive never been a huge fan of jackson. he definitely has a lot of talent but he is still maturing. high k's, but also a high whip, which could be dangerous in camden yards. i dont see how he is any worse than what we already have though.

ive seen reports that we have offered him a multiyear contract, but i dont think he wants to sign here.

I have no idea why Edwin Jackson would sign with the Orioles. Plus, the O's don't want to give a pitcher more than a 3 year deal.

They should make an exception in this case IMO. You have to be willing to risk what other teams are sometimes. They play it way too safe and conservative. He throws hard and is young. He seems to be ther type of guy they should want and be interested in.

---------- Post added February-1st-2012 at 09:49 AM ----------

ive never been a huge fan of jackson. he definitely has a lot of talent but he is still maturing. high k's, but also a high whip, which could be dangerous in camden yards. i dont see how he is any worse than what we already have though.

ive seen reports that we have offered him a multiyear contract, but i dont think he wants to sign here.

At some point we need to shake this negative vibe for free agents to come here. It wasn't a problem in the mid 90's. I think having Cal Ripken in some role at the top and be the face would only help players want to come back to Baltimore. I don't blame them for Fielder. 200 million is insane.

Click on the link to read the rest.

http://www.masnsports.com/amber_theoharis/2012/02/should-orioles-and-nationals-engage-in-trade-talks.html

Should Orioles and Nationals engage in trade talks?

When I think of the Nationals pitching talent in 2012, a line from one of my all-time favorite movies "Raising Arizona" comes to mind. When Holly Hunter (Ed) is trying to justify Nicholas Cage (H.I.) kidnapping one of the Arizona quintuplets she says, "H.I., they've got more than they can handle!"

I'm not implying the Orioles should kidnap Stephen Strasburg or Gio Gonzalez, but Mike Rizzo's club is heading to Viera, Fla., with eight legitimate potential starters: Edwin Jackson, Gonzalez, Strasburg, Jordan Zimmerman, John Lannan, Chien-Ming Wang, Tom Gorzelanny and Ross Detwiler.

If the Nationals do have more arms than their roster 'can handle,' when camp breaks, maybe Rizzo should call the Orioles.

Perhaps the Orioles and the Nationals can break their stalemate of not doing business with each other and realize both teams could benefit from a trade.

The one position the Nats need more than anything right now is a center fielder. The one thing the Orioles need more than anything right now is starting pitching.

Let's make a deal.

How about Adam Jones for John Lannan and Ross Detwiler? Or as my MASNsports.com colleague Roch Kubatko suggested, how about the Nats throw in the young second-base prospect Steven Lombardozzi along with Lannan and a pitching prospect for Jones?

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/02/rockies-to-acquire-guthrie-for-hammel-lindstrom.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Hammel, 29, posted a 4.76 ERA, 5.0 K/9, 3.6 BB/9, 1.11 HR/9, and 43.9% groundball rate in 170 1/3 innings last year. Acquired from the Rays three years ago, Hammel has given the Rockies 170+ innings in each of his seasons. Prior to 2011, Hammel's skills suggested a pitcher capable of a sub-4.00 ERA. In 2011, however, he was moved to the Rockies' bullpen in August. He'll earn $4.75MM in 2012 and will be arbitration eligible for 2013.

Lindstrom, 31, posted a 3.00 ERA, 6.0 K/9, 2.3 BB/9, 0.50 HR/9, and 47.3% groundball rate in 54 innings last year for the Rockies. His strikeout rates have always seemed low for someone averaging a 96 mile-per-hour fastball. Lindstrom, who was acquired in December 2010 from the Astros, is owed $3.6MM for 2012 and has a $4MM club option for '13.

With the trade, Orioles vice president of baseball operations Dan Duquette has subtracted his rotation's one sure thing in favor of Hammel, who was demoted from the Rockies' rotation last summer. He did acquire two pitchers for the price of one, as well as potential 2013 control for each.

Archived