Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2011 Orioles Thread

Are any of you really excited for this season? I have almost zero interest in baseball this year. 14 straight years of this **** will do it to you.

I always get excited for opening day and baseball season in general. When it comes to the O's though, I have zero expectations. At least with the Redskins, it's not completely assinine to think that, with a few breaks here or there, we can make some noise. No shot of that with my O's.

Why bother. AL East it will be NY and Boston with TB close behind. We stand zero chance anymore. Someone will win the AL Central. Texas and LA will fight it out in the AL West. Philly and Atl will battle in the NL East. Someone will win the NL Central. SF will take the NL West. Wash, rinse, repeat. Not worth getting excited over a team that can't even win 70 games. Sad. No matter what, I've been a loyal fan year in and year out, but for the first time in my life, I'm just numb with my teams. If I had 2 losing teams, I could count on 1 or 2 to still be winning. Sports isn't fun anymore. I have the O's, Skins, Wiz and Caps to look forward to and none of them are in any position to win jack-squat in the next 5 to 10 years. I have nothing positive to root for. Nothing.

I have the O's, Skins, Wiz and Caps to look forward to and none of them are in any position to win jack-squat in the next 5 to 10 years. I have nothing positive to root for. Nothing.

I don't mean to rain on your pity party, but it's a little ridiculous to claim that any NFL team (including our Skins) or the Caps have a shot to win something in the next 10 years. I see your point about the O's (and your larger point about MLB) and agree that they are very, very unlikely to win a thing for a long time. But even the Bullets could be a good team in 5-10 years.

I don't mean to rain on your pity party, but it's a little ridiculous to claim that any NFL team (including our Skins) or the Caps have a shot to win something in the next 10 years. I see your point about the O's (and your larger point about MLB) and agree that they are very, very unlikely to win a thing for a long time. But even the Bullets could be a good team in 5-10 years.

Agreed, and regarding the Caps I can certainly understand the frustration (I was at the game last night and was booing in the 3rd period) but they have had a good team for the past couple years (playoff shortcomings not withstanding) and this season they have been missing 2 of their best players for a good chunk of time. I wouldn't be surprised if this is the year they limp into the playoffs but then get hot and go deep.

---------- Post added February-14th-2012 at 02:55 PM ----------

Are any of you really excited for this season? I have almost zero interest in baseball this year. 14 straight years of this **** will do it to you.

For me the Orioles provide my sports fix during the summer (when nothing else is going on), and even when they suck it is still fun to spend a few summer evenings at Camden Yards.

For the past few years, I have hoped for the best but expected the worst from this team. If they simply have a .500 record by the 4th of July, I am happy with that.

Why bother. AL East it will be NY and Boston with TB close behind. We stand zero chance anymore. Someone will win the AL Central. Texas and LA will fight it out in the AL West. Philly and Atl will battle in the NL East. Someone will win the NL Central. SF will take the NL West. Wash, rinse, repeat. Not worth getting excited over a team that can't even win 70 games. Sad. No matter what, I've been a loyal fan year in and year out, but for the first time in my life, I'm just numb with my teams. If I had 2 losing teams, I could count on 1 or 2 to still be winning. Sports isn't fun anymore. I have the O's, Skins, Wiz and Caps to look forward to and none of them are in any position to win jack-squat in the next 5 to 10 years. I have nothing positive to root for. Nothing.
You've got a good reason to feel sorry for yourself. Among American cities with the 4 major sports teams, no city has had a longer championship drought than Washington D.C. (Last championship team in parantheses)

1t. Minneapolis/St. Paul - 20 years (Twins)

1t. Washington D.C. - 20 years (Redskins)

3. Atlanta - 16 years (Braves)

4. Denver - 10 years (Avalanche)

5. Phoenix - 10 years (Diamondbacks)

Looks like Duquette may get into more trouble.

According to MASN Sports, it remains possible that the Orioles could face further penalty for what Duquette termed an "unintentional breach of protocol," though that remains unconfirmed.

http://orioles.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120215&content_id=26708066&vkey=news_bal&c_id=bal

This is going to be a looooong season. What a mess.

this is probably the worst opening day starting rotation that ive ever seen. britton, who is my favorite pitcher of the bunch, currently has a sore shoulder. im not sure who will be the opening day pitcher. on the plus side, it sets the bar really low.

is it too much to ask for arrieta, britton, or matusz to suprise us and have good seasons. they certainly have the pedigree. and is it too much to think that the other offseason pitching aquisitions just keep from being horrible? could we also see weiters and adam jones having great seasons?

things dont ever seem to work out well for the orioles, but who knows, maybe things will go our way this year.

I was just talking to my O's-fan coworker about the O's starting rotation yesterday. We were discussing whether every single pitcher in the Nats rotation, 1-5, are better than the O's #1. I mean we kinda signed Edwin Jackson as an afterthought to the be the #4 starter. Wouldn't he be the ace on the O's? What about our #5--whoever that is (Lannan, Wang, Detwiler)?

Not trying to talk **** (it's not fun anymore).

After all the posts on this page about losing our Korean pitcher, Angelos not selling the team, Britton has a sore shoulder (how? nobody has played yet) and a Nats fan telling us their 4th starter is better than anything we roll out there, again, I ask WHY BOTHER?

Spring Training hasn't even started and we're oh for 5.

I was just talking to my O's-fan coworker about the O's starting rotation yesterday. We were discussing whether every single pitcher in the Nats rotation, 1-5, are better than the O's #1. I mean we kinda signed Edwin Jackson as an afterthought to the be the #4 starter. Wouldn't he be the ace on the O's? What about our #5--whoever that is (Lannan, Wang, Detwiler)?

Not trying to talk **** (it's not fun anymore).

The sad thing is, you're right. Most of our SP wouldn't sniff the rotation of most teams.

Its getting ugly in Baltimore fast and like pj said, the season hasn't even started.

this is probably the worst opening day starting rotation that ive ever seen.

Yeah, it's pretty bad. We weren't going anywhere with Guthrie and Fielder (or Pujols) and maybe another good FA signing, so I am fine with another sunken season if it means drafting some high-end young prospects (which we don't seem to have too many of despite sucking for over 10 years). But there are ways to rebuild and still be remotely competitive, and this rotation just reeks of throwing in the towel.

After all the posts on this page about losing our Korean pitcher, Angelos not selling the team, Britton has a sore shoulder (how? nobody has played yet) and a Nats fan telling us their 4th starter is better than anything we roll out there, again, I ask WHY BOTHER?

Spring Training hasn't even started and we're oh for 5.

his shoulder is sore from the end of last season.. which is most likely the cause of his above 7 era post AS break. mri revealed nothing serious, but i have my doubts if he still isnt feeling better. let's just hope he starts to "air it out" and feel better. we need to bank on both britton and arrieta having good seasons if we even want to approach .500

---------- Post added February-16th-2012 at 02:28 PM ----------

The O's need another fan revolt. It's amazing how Angelos is so tolerant of failure.

But I guess it's always nice to have 18 sellouts per year (Yanks and Red Sox).

it's a cash cow man. he has no motivating factor to make the team better or invest money in it outside of professionalism and wanting the team to win. guaranteed a large sum of money every year, and guaranteed to make a ton of money if the team is sold. i cant believe MLB allows this to occur.

Looks like Britton is fine?

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/02/16/zach-brittons-arm-felt-like-brand-new-after-30-40-pitches/

That may still prove accurate, but Britton took the mound today and threw 30-40 pitches, reporting no problems and telling Brittany Ghiroli of MLB.com that his arm felt “like brand new.”

Britton described the mound session as going “really well” and said Orioles coaches “were impressed with the velocity I was able to put up.” He’s scheduled to throw again Saturday, which as Ghiroli notes will provide a big test because Britton often struggle to bounce back from outings late last season as he posted a 6.79 ERA in 12 starts after July 1.

Archived