Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Howard Stern Listening Thread - Stern Signs to Judge Americas Got Talent

USS Redskins

I agree. I listen to the old shows and it strikes me that he is trying way too hard.

I feel like he is more mature and himself nowadays, which imo makes for better radio

How far back are you going? I don't care much for the very early Jackie years where the schtick seemed to be Jackie and Howard applauding and throwing out one-liners every five seconds. And Gary being a complete dullard.

This was before my time, but I feel like the show hit its stride during the early Kinison/Dice/Jessica Hahn years where it really felt like something dangerous was going on.

It lost something big during the first long Jackie hiatus - which I think had to be in the late 90s when I was in law school. Jackie came back but they all seemed to really hate him and it made the show just kinda weird after a while. The first year or two of Artie was not good, but I think the show entered another little golden era during the middle of Artie's tenure.

I don't think Howard's divorce killed the show necessarily. Single Howard was kind of fascinating and even early in his relationship with Beth, he did not sound like Imus.

The Sirius move made things interesting for a while. But Artie's life just kept getting darker and darker while Howard's life just kept getting more and more cliched.

Somewhere in all this, Robin went from annoying but occasionally wildly entertaining lunatic to shrill, humorless *****. The fun thing about Robin has been that she was always the wild card. She played the role of the straight man but was actually more insane than all of them combined. She's no longer manic and is really just a self-help robot now.

How far back are you going? I don't care much for the very early Jackie years where the schtick seemed to be Jackie and Howard applauding and throwing out one-liners every five seconds. And Gary being a complete dullard.

This was before my time' date=' but I feel like the show hit its stride during the early Kinison/Dice/Jessica Hahn years where it really felt like something dangerous was going on.

[/quote']

These days I don't much care for the older shows either, but I do remember laughing out loud at some them at the time.

I think Howard's show really needs the context you get from thinking of what was around at the same time. So the shows from the early Jackie years sound lame today but at the time they were just so original and so different from anything else on the air they kept you by the radio.

I don't think the show really got good until the mid 90s. I hear the replays of those shows from the 80s and early 90s and they are both unfunny and unlistenable.

I guess for the time he was considered outrageous and a "shock jock"... but not to be confused with good radio.

There was an interview with Brian Wilson from 1987 that was just awful. Here he is talking to one of the most brilliant minds in the history of music and an incredibly tragic figure and the interview is all about Howard and "being outrageous". Just awful.

It lost something big during the first long Jackie hiatus - which I think had to be in the late 90s when I was in law school. Jackie came back but they all seemed to really hate him and it made the show just kinda weird after a while. The first year or two of Artie was not good' date=' but I think the show entered another little golden era during the middle of Artie's tenure.[/quote']

I would agree with this.

Somewhere in all this, Robin went from annoying but occasionally wildly entertaining lunatic to shrill, humorless *****. The fun thing about Robin has been that she was always the wild card. She played the role of the straight man but was actually more insane than all of them combined. She's no longer manic and is really just a self-help robot now.

Agreed. Artie, surprisingly enough, filled in as the voice of reason for the past few years. Outside of his heroin addiction he's actually a pretty level headed dude with I think a real connection to what the person off the street thinks.

When Robin started in with the coffee enemas and green drinks I think that was just the end of any shred of normalcy she might have had left. The woman is bat-**** crazy.

Plus, whenever she wants to offer relationship or child-rearing advice I really just want her to STFU. Her personal life is a wreck and the score on her narcissism test revealed a lot. No surprise that nobody can be with her...

• 1 month later...

I just came to the realization this week that I may cancel Sirius soon (maybe within a month). the last few weeks is what did me in. Listening to Howard ***** and complain about how hard life is is and that wants to leave is really starting to get to me. The last few week when I listened to the first few hours, it was some of the most boring radio ever (I changed the channel). Stern has been really really bad lately, he's really changed in the last 2 years. I think there is no question he is on his way out, retiring to the Hamptons. Thoughts?

He takes so much time off it's pretty obvious he'll be done soon.

He seemed to indicate yesterday that he has no plans on retiring.

When that Mad Dog guy was asking him about his plans he seemed to already have a plan in place for what he is going to do.

The way it sounded didn't seem like it will be with Sirius.

Anyway, I enjoyed Spade and Chris Rock on Monday but otherwise it's been a pretty "eh" week.

He seemed to indicate yesterday that he has no plans on retiring.

When that Mad Dog guy was asking him about his plans he seemed to already have a plan in place for what he is going to do.

The way it sounded didn't seem like it will be with Sirius.

Anyway, I enjoyed Spade and Chris Rock on Monday but otherwise it's been a pretty "eh" week.

He may not retire, but his plans are probably away form Sirius. It's been a pretty "Meh" year...Keep In mind his last show is due for the beginning or Jan, who knows if he will show up for that, especially after the big holiday break he takes...

By the way, for you long time Howard fans, was he really all that wonderful when he was in D.C.?

I've heard tapes of him in DC. It's almost a completely different show, and his voice is incredbily nasily. It's also a more standard morning show where he talks for a few seconds and then plays records. I don't really think the show hit its stride until K-Rock. Even at WNBC, everything sounded so rushed because he had to get to the next Men Without Hats record.

Keep in mind that Howard does a lot of self-aggrandizing and that the "clips" you here are the highlights out of thousands of hours. You could make Jack Diamond sound edgy and hysterical if you took an entire year of shows and edited it down to 10 minutes.

I don't think Howard has ever fully explained why his voice was so goofy early in his career. It had to be a conscious choice. But since his schtick is always being "real," he can ever acknowledge strange showbiz choices. So, it comes out as "I was nervous and that's how I talked."

He may not retire, but his plans are probably away form Sirius. It's been a pretty "Meh" year...Keep In mind his last show is due for the beginning or Jan, who knows if he will show up for that, especially after the big holiday break he takes...

One thing I'll say about Howard - he honors his contracts. He's on time for the show every single day and often lets the show run over the 4 hours he's obligated for every day.

I have no doubt he'll show up for work for as long as his contract says he's supposed to.

I'd be more pissed about the vacations - but after all these years I can't say he hasn't earned a lot of vacation time. It's not like I wouldn't take the time off if I could.

My only problem is the "specials" he plays during his vacations usually suck.

I don't think Howard has ever fully explained why his voice was so goofy early in his career. It had to be a conscious choice. But since his schtick is always being "real' date='" he can ever acknowledge strange showbiz choices. So, it comes out as "I was nervous and that's how I talked."[/quote']

1. He was 25 years younger.

2. He has admitted to having a nose job which probably helped the nasal delivery in later years.

I'd say chances are pretty good that he's coming back. He's making big $$ and has total freedom on satellite, he's loyal to a fault (to his crew and the company), he knows Sirius would take a major hit if he walked away, and don't forget he owns a ton of stock in the company.

But I can see him coming back with slightly different terms. Different hours or something like that.

I'd say chances are pretty good that he's coming back. He's making big $$ and has total freedom on satellite, he's loyal to a fault (to his crew and the company), he knows Sirius would take a major hit if he walked away, and don't forget he owns a ton of stock in the company.

But I can see him coming back with slightly different terms. Different hours or something like that.

I suspect that if Howard does return to the air it will be in a different media and different platform from satellite radio. Sirius could be bought out for a pittance right now, and its stock keeps dropping.

Howard is smart enough to know his payday from that company is over, and if he wants more money (and I suspect money is a huge factor for him) he'll need to move to a new media. I almost look forward to it as it might very well freshen his show and give him that prod he seems to need to keep things rolling.

I suspect that if Howard does return to the air it will be in a different media and different platform from satellite radio. Sirius could be bought out for a pittance right now, and its stock keeps dropping.

Howard is smart enough to know his payday from that company is over, and if he wants more money (and I suspect money is a huge factor for him) he'll need to move to a new media. I almost look forward to it as it might very well freshen his show and give him that prod he seems to need to keep things rolling.

He should look at going to the internet, but he said recently he's discussed the idea with people but he honestly doesn't seem to be sold on the idea.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
They Call Me Baba Booey.

Anyone read this?

I asked for it for my b-day as a goof.

Only a handful of shows left.... like around 20. Could be the end soon.

Howard has already said that it's not the end. It's just a matter of whether he'll stay with Sirius or go off and start his own thing. I think he used to use "This is the end for me" as a bargaining chip because he only had 2 options. Since he's not tied to terrestrial or satellite radio, he's already said he'll be back.

I think that Howard will either go completely to a new type of medium (through phones/ipad, etc) or a combination of Sirius/new method. I think he will take more control over his content and give less to Sirius, if they will have him. From listening to the other shows on his channels, I get the feeling that Sirius believes they can go forward more profitably without him. We'll see.

Archived