Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Howard Stern Listening Thread - Stern Signs to Judge Americas Got Talent

USS Redskins

Stern is so last decade and overdone. His show has become nothing more than a NYC based feeble attempt at "shockjockery" in an era where most listeners have a demand for something better.

Yes, His show will always attract some listeners and there will always be devotees that have passion, but his day in the sun ended long ago.

Simply put, his show sucks for the average radio listener.

Spoken by a long term stern listener from way back.

Tracy Morgan is just unlistenable. Is that a word?

Anyways, I think he is great on visual media but he interviews like an illiterate crack addict hopped up on ritalin. But without any semblance of interest.

Morgan is best in small doses, if he was on everyday he would get really old really fast. Besides he's got his own stuff going on that would probably prevent him from being able to do the show, 30 Rock, stand-up stuff, etc.

---------- Post added December-10th-2010 at 09:26 AM ----------

Stern is so last decade and overdone. His show has become nothing more than a NYC based feeble attempt at "shockjockery" in an era where most listeners have a demand for something better.

Yes, His show will always attract some listeners and there will always be devotees that have passion, but his day in the sun ended long ago.

Simply put, his show sucks for the average radio listener.

Spoken by a long term stern listener from way back.

If you're not a fan anymore, fine. But what I don't get is why non-fans feel the need to crap all over Stern and what he's done. He helped put Sirius on the map and was a huge reason for the SiriusXM merger. To downplay his status as a top entertainer comes off as totally ignorant.

Morgan is best in small doses, if he was on everyday he would get really old really fast. Besides he's got his own stuff going on that would probably prevent him from being able to do the show, 30 Rock, stand-up stuff, etc.

---------- Post added December-10th-2010 at 09:26 AM ----------

If you're not a fan anymore, fine. But what I don't get is why non-fans feel the need to crap all over Stern and what he's done. He helped put Sirius on the map and was a huge reason for the SiriusXM merger. To downplay his status as a top entertainer comes off as totally ignorant.

I had sirrius for a few years and really enjoyed it well before Stern and I even listened to him for a couple years every day too.

There is nothing "ignorant" about having a negatoive opinion about the direction and current content of his show. He's old news and on his downslope in my personal opinion. If you dont share that opinion, by all means keep listening to him!

But dont get angry because others dont share your feelings.

I had sirrius for a few years and really enjoyed it well before Stern and I even listened to him for a couple years every day too.

There is nothing "ignorant" about having a negatoive opinion about the direction and current content of his show. He's old news and on his downslope in my personal opinion. If you dont share that opinion, by all means keep listening to him!

But dont get angry because others dont share your feelings.

Not angry at all...

Your personal opinion just isn't an accurate reflection of reality is all, based on the show's popularity and influence.

Not angry at all...

Your personal opinion just isn't an accurate reflection of reality is all, based on the show's popularity and influence.

It's completly based on reality. The show has slid downward for years now. Plus, it is just my opinion afterall. It's just an opinion shared by many, many people who like me, have given up on the show.

Glad you arent angry though!

It's completly based on reality. The show has slid downward for years now. Plus, it is just my opinion afterall. It's just an opinion shared by many, many people who like me, have given up on the show.

Glad you arent angry though!

Maybe we need to define reality in order to have a decent discussion.

Slid downwards based on what? Ratings? Subsribers? The fact that terrestrial radio hasn't been the same since he left?

I am so glad he re-signed, as I would have canceled my sirius subscription if he didn't re-up with them.

I don't think Artie will be back. He's ostensibly been fired by/not asked to come back by Sirius (that's the rumor at least) as they don't want to be liable in any way should something happen (again) with Artie. It's a shame, because I loved Artie on the show. Listening to some of the Best Of while the show is on vacation illustrates just how much Artie brought to the show.

I think they will have to fill the chair in some fashion, though. They can't do 5 more years with the current staff...Gary's book can provide only so much material.

And anyone who thinks Howard is the downslope of his career needs to listen to the Jay-Z and Billy Joel interviews. Utterly compelling radio, and better than anything else I heard on the radio this year.

I am so glad he re-signed, as I would have canceled my sirius subscription if he didn't re-up with them.

I don't think Artie will be back. He's ostensibly been fired by/not asked to come back by Sirius (that's the rumor at least) as they don't want to be liable in any way should something happen (again) with Artie. It's a shame, because I loved Artie on the show. Listening to some of the Best Of while the show is on vacation illustrates just how much Artie brought to the show.

I really do miss "early Artie" but Sirius was right to keep him away. The Artie we were hearing towards the end was bringing a much darker element to things. His susceptibility to rage was not fun.

I really do miss "early Artie" but Sirius was right to keep him away. The Artie we were hearing towards the end was bringing a much darker element to things. His susceptibility to rage was not fun.

yah, but you gotta admit it made compelling radio.

I will say, Takei is better on the show when Artie isn't there. It just got crowded with both of them. I keep thinking about who I'd like to see take Arties chair - because I agree it needs to be filled - but I just can't come up with a good name. Artie's genius was that he was a great story teller, but he also had an uncanny feel for when he needed to add more to the show and when he just needed to stfu. He also had a great feeling for what truly was funny. Guys like Greg Fitzsimmons or Jim Breuer, as much as I love them, I don't think have that same feel. They'd most likely end up stepping all over Howard telling stories, etc.

yah, but you gotta admit it made compelling radio.

I will say, Takei is better on the show when Artie isn't there. It just got crowded with both of them. I keep thinking about who I'd like to see take Arties chair - because I agree it needs to be filled - but I just can't come up with a good name. Artie's genius was that he was a great story teller, but he also had an uncanny feel for when he needed to add more to the show and when he just needed to stfu. He also had a great feeling for what truly was funny. Guys like Greg Fitzsimmons or Jim Breuer, as much as I love them, I don't think have that same feel. They'd most likely end up stepping all over Howard telling stories, etc.

Out of pity I'd like to see Jackie get back into the mix somehow. Perhaps even in a limited way. I never thought he was "big time" funny but I do feel bad for him.

• 1 month later...

The show has been back on for 3 weeks now. I noticed less guests the first week and the show now ends at 10 am promptly... the wrap up show ends right at 11 am. One show I noticed went until about 10:30... The thing I always loved about the show is that there were no contstraints but it seems like they rush through the news part of the show to get out at 10 am.

Also, no more gossip games on Thursdays.

He also said recently that he would not fill the artie chair. I know artie isnt coming back but would love him to. Its not as good without him.

The interview with Steven Tyler was incredible the other day. I'm fine with Artie not returning, he was not funny in my opinion. But the downfall for the show is when Howard began going into therapy 3 or 4 times a week and then dragged what he learned in there into his studio. I'm not interested in a strippers emotional issues. And does it bother you his verbal crutch? "In Other Words".. he can't complete a sentence without using in other words, drives me crazy. But i'll always listen, i've been there since dc-101 and i'll be there when he signs off.

The show has been back on for 3 weeks now. I noticed less guests the first week and the show now ends at 10 am promptly... the wrap up show ends right at 11 am. One show I noticed went until about 10:30... The thing I always loved about the show is that there were no contstraints but it seems like they rush through the news part of the show to get out at 10 am.

Also, no more gossip games on Thursdays.

He also said recently that he would not fill the artie chair. I know artie isnt coming back but would love him to. Its not as good without him.

Guess we got spoiled when they would run long, can't blame them for wanting to get out on time, they get paid for a 4 hour show.

I won't miss the Mike Walker game at all. I thought that ran it's course a long time ago.

Artie isn't coming back. I can't say it's better or worse without him, just different.

Not happening, Sirius (the company) will now allow him back in the building.

Who said that? Seems like they would have done that a lot earlier if they were so concerned. Is it the norm to ban someone from your building because he tried to kill himself?

Who said that? Seems like they would have done that a lot earlier if they were so concerned. Is it the norm to ban someone from your building because he tried to kill himself?

I read it somewhere on the sternfannetwork (those guys know their stuff). Also, Howard is upset with Artie, which he has said several times on his show and has been mention here.

Archived