Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Something cool thread

Bang

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQHnMj6dxj4&feature=player_embedded

Not quite teleportation but pretty close...3D printing. In the video, they are currently able to scan items (in this case a wrench) then print it on 3D printer and form it out of a patented powder mixture and make a working tool. Pretty incredible. Edited by mojo

Mojo, I saw those guys on Colbert. They printed a bust of him while they were talking..

But it was slightly different.. it didn't come out of the powder,k, it actually built it layer by layer from the resin without the powder around it.

Pretty cool

~Bang

Mojo, I saw those guys on Colbert. They printed a bust of him while they were talking..

But it was slightly different.. it didn't come out of the powder,k, it actually built it layer by layer from the resin without the powder around it.

Pretty cool

~Bang

I missed that but it's crazy technology. I know future interpretations of 3D printing include using living cells and reproducing human organs eliminating the need for transplants.

And I can't even get my ink jet printer working....:ols:

You're quite welcome :)

Gotta appreciate the classics. In fact, towards the end of the video you get a good look at the bass player,, none other than Willie Dixon, who wrote so many of the old blues standards we've all heard again and again.. his influence on modern music is incalculable, and he's largely forgotten in the conversations about American Masters.

~Bang

With each new device released to the public, there are thieves who find ways to use it illegally.

http://krebsonsecurity.com/2011/09/gang-used-3d-printers-for-atm-skimmers/

An ATM skimmer gang stole more than $400,000 using skimming devices built with the help of high-tech 3D printers, federal prosecutors say....

...The skimmer components typically include a card skimmer that fits over the card acceptance slot and steals the data stored on the card’s magnetic stripe, and a pinhole camera built into a false panel that thieves can fit above or beside the PIN pad. If these components don’t match just-so, they’re more likely to be discovered and removed by customers or bank personnel, leaving the thieves without their stolen card data.

Enter the 3D printer. This fascinating technology, explained succinctly in the video below from 3D printing company i.materialise, takes two dimensional computer images and builds them into three dimensional models by laying down successive layers of powder that are heated, shaped and hardened...

Much more at the link. Check out his entries for Sept 20, 2011 and Dec 7, 2011

The Dec 7, 2011 entry is pretty amazing in the complexity the thieves went to build the skimmer using a 3D printer.

• 4 weeks later...

north-pole-moon2.jpg

This is the sunset at the North Pole with the moon at its closest point last week. (May 11, 2009)

A scene you will probably never get to see in person, so take a moment and enjoy natures work at the North Pole.

And, you also see the sun below the moon.

An amazing photo and not one easily duplicated. You may want To pass it on to others so they can enjoy it.

The Chinese have a saying that goes something like this:

'When someone shares with you something of value, you have an obligation to share it with others!'