Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Meet the New Boss, Same as the Old Boss?

Dan T.

Donovan McNabb, Rex Grossman, Larry Johnson, Willie Parker? This roster is looking like my fantasy football team circa 2006.

I really did feel comfortable with the new leadership in place. Bruce Allen and Mike Shanahan are top-notch NFL guys, right? So why does this offseason feel like we're regressing to the era when we chased after name players past their prime?

It's early, and personnel moves may still be in the works. And a sprinkling of veterans as placeholders and stopgaps until younger guys step up is fine. But this wholesale shopping spree just doesn't feel right.

Can somebody with a better notion of the front office thinking tell me why I shouldn't be worried right now? Because I keep hearing Vinny Cerrato's voice saying "Don't worry. We have a plan." And I thought I woke up from that nightmare last fall.

Looks to me like a return to Snderatto's first year with the Dieon Sanders and the rest of the past their prime here for a big paycheck crowd. Perhaps we can repeat that performance and become the oldest most expensive team with a 8-8 record and lack of draft picks to rebuild.

lol some people are funny..People ***** ALL the time that we need to upgrade at QB, and we get a Pro Bowl QB and now all the sudden people say we've regressed? I dont see how..We're still going to get an O-Lineman at #4..Chill people.

**** Pro-Bowl, HOF QB, an HOF QB who's only 33 and has 3/4 years left in him. A HOF QB who for years has had subpar WRs (except 3 out of 10 years), Subpar TEs, 1 RB who's oft injured, and a shaky Oline yet still led his team to the playoffs, and SB contention in many years. Yeah, this was a terrible trade.

People saying this is the same ol' same ol', well, tell me what you would have done? You truly believe that Allen and Shanny have no plan in place? Or are you saying that you were 100% sold on the QB's and J.Cam leading this team to the SB much less the superbowl? Do you know what the teams plan in for gaining more draft picks? You guys have just been waiting to *****, and now's your chance, enjoy it. But McNabb is an instant upgrade at all levels, and if we make some solid moves to upgrade our line I think McNabb turns us into a much more dangerous team.

I was thinking something along the same lines except I was gonna entitle the thread--

"Holy Over the Hill Gang, Batman"

It could work, but at least at qb and rb we're looking furtherback into yesteryear than any of the rides of the Lone Ranger.

I really don't know what to think. This is definitely a relapse, we can all see that. But why? My only guess is that the Shanahan's and Allen think we are closer to competing than we are to needing an offensive overhaul. What's left on the to-do list? Just two offensive tackles.

McNabb is the starter. We must get at least three seasons out of him to validate the trade or it's a waste. Think of what other players were available with our high second, including McCoy, Tebow (both are talented regardless of opinion). We now have no QB to develop except for Colt, and Jason is certainly gone at the end of the season, if not before. I don't think they make any more QB moves and aim for next season's draft to snag a QB to groom.

The one reason I was never all that excited about Shanahan, as good a coach as he is, is that older coaches almost never seem patient enough for the kind of multi-year rebuilding that was called for here. This is the kind of move I expected/feared.

I'm going to hope against hope that we're going to use McNabb to move up, but basically I agree with the OP premise. This is the kind of move we should be used to by now.

I have to agree, I was worried as well. That is until I began thinking about it in a new light. Look at all the guys that we've signed; each one is proven, save for Grossman. Now what happens when you have all of them on one team? Competition. We haven't had that much competition at both the QB and RB positions in awhile. Portis was always a step ahead of the rest, aside from his last season, and all our QBs were in the same general area in terms or skill. Now, when you are good enough to make it to the NFL you are gonna want some playing time, but mostly to start. With all these great players coming in, our current ones will have to get fired up and work hard if they want even a slight chance of being year come September.

Just wanted to add...

Though this certainly has the feel of the Over the Hill Gang, or a Cerrato Free agent superstar spree... the price tags so far have been reasonable. The trade price for McNabb was fair and the contracts for the two rbs have been okay and very incentive laden (which I like)

Still, my first reaction to the trade is disappointment. I'm hoping it means that in breaking down the tape, Shanahan and Allen saw something much different and believe we are much, much closer to the Super Bowl than I do because unless you think you can get to the Superbowl this year or next getting a McNabb is a waste.

Whats with all this talk that we should trade Mcnabb to the rams for #1? **** that, we have a proven QB now, why give up more for a risk?
Grossman isn't THAT good pal. And McNabb is a all-star, but he's got just one year on his contract and getting old.

Grossman isn't THAT good pal. And McNabb is a all-star, but he's got just one year on his contract and getting old.

Grossman sucks, I dont know why you brought him up lol..The proven QB im talking about is Mcnabb..Mcnabb is 33? Thats not THAT old, look at Favre..But its not like he sucked last season, he still had a good season, and Campbell is a very good backup, I like the QB situation we have.

Some people, actually a lot of people on this board are never happy, no what moves the team makes. Pretty funny actually. I am in shock by this move, however, although I never liked McNabb (since he played for the Eagles), I love the move and am optimistic by it. He has a few good years left, which allows us to focus on the line in the draft and maybe draft a qb next year or the year after to groom for when he's done. As far as I'm concerned we are prime for the playoffs next year. The new front office and coach have only been in place a few months, are making different moves than in the past, but yet everyone wants to compare them and the moves to Vinny, ridiculous! Hail!

The other "deja vu" aspect of this deal is that all the talk the last week or two was that the Eagles wanted a top 42 pick for McNabb. And it seemed they were having trouble finding someone to pay that.

And yet we just gave up a top 42 pick and another decent pick. Seems we bid against ourselves and overpaid.

Donovan McNabb, Rex Grossman, Larry Johnson, Willie Parker? This roster is looking like my fantasy football team circa 2006.

I really did feel comfortable with the new leadership in place. Bruce Allen and Mike Shanahan are top-notch NFL guys, right? So why does this offseason feel like we're regressing to the era when we chased after name players past their prime?

It's early, and personnel moves may still be in the works. And a sprinkling of veterans as placeholders and stopgaps until younger guys step up is fine. But this wholesale shopping spree just doesn't feel right.

Can somebody with a better notion of the front office thinking tell me why I shouldn't be worried right now? Because I keep hearing Vinny Cerrato's voice saying "Don't worry. We have a plan." And I thought I woke up from that nightmare last fall.

Be careful with perception here. The reality is that we got McNabb, Grossman, Larry Johnson, and Parker for a 2nd and a 3rd/4th next year. So it's not like we lost anything by picking any of these players up besides McNabb. Plus Cambell will likely be traded for a draft pick to recoup some of what we gave up for McNabb anyway.

Archived