Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Meet the New Boss, Same as the Old Boss?

Dan T.

who did we give huge paydays to? who are we betting the house on? we are just giving proven guys a chance.

Right. And the contracts to Grossman, Johnson, and Parker are small contracts. McNabb is the only one we've given anything major up for, and I think that it's worth it. Besides, I imagine we'll trade JC for a mid-level pick.

Some of you guys need your head examined. We have Mike and Kyle Shanny authoring one of the deadliest schemes in football and you guys want to F around with rookie QBs with question marks all over them. Our head coach is the real deal, sit back and watch the show.

lol some people are funny..People ***** ALL the time that we need to upgrade at QB, and we get a Pro Bowl QB and now all the sudden people say we've regressed? I dont see how..We're still going to get an O-Lineman at #4..Chill people.

That's the pick they don't want us to make. Not only the first round but also in the fourth round as well.

It's hilarious all the people on here who think they know better than Shanny and Bruce. I'm willing to trust the guys we hired and are paying lots of money to a little more than some of the clowns foreshadowing our demise. I don't mind people's opinions but the "WERE DOOMED" talk is just plain foolish. You are judging a decision that won't be fully played out till sometime in January and then the next several years.

As of today the Skins have a QB who has done it ALL except win a Super Bowl. We have a top 5 Defense. If we score at least 20 points a game we should win 10 games. It's the Mike and McNabb Show fellas! Enjoy!

Why do people here think were going to trade Mcnabb to stl?

If he didnt want to go there in the 1st place what makes people think we can trade him to there?

I figure with Mcnabb this gives us 3/4 more wins than what I thought before with JC at the helm.

And what better person than to have some rookie learn under?

I agree it does have a win NOW feel to it but Mcnabb was cheap to get and now that we have a proven winner at QB how do we trade that away?

What we need now is to trade other people I.E. Cooley or whoever and get draft picks back.

If we do that then I know were rebuilding while still trying to win.

Currently we now have only a 1st,4th,5th and 7th round picks.

Thats not very exciting.

I hope this works. I hope we get 3 to 4 good years out of McNabb. And it could happen. He is a consummate pro, and a new team might motivate him to excellence to secure his NFL legacy.

My point in starting the thread, though, is that we've tried this method - of bringing in aging big name veterans - fruitlessly, over and over again.

If we're lucky, the result for us at the QB position will mirror the trade that brought Sonny Jurgensen to the Skins. If we're not, it'll mirror the move that brought in Mark Brunell.

For those that think McNabb has a couple years left I agree. But does anyone here think we are winning a SB with McnNabb this year or next? If not then wtf is the point other then to ensure the team stays mediocre for the near and long term with a (continued) lack of draft picks?

**** the 2 SB teams have more picks then the skins this year!!!!!!

What does that have to do with anything? Good Lord....this doomsday attitude is really sickening. If we don't sign anyone or make any trades then "we aren't doing enough"...we sign a few (even after avoiding the 1st few days of the free agent frenzy) and then make this trade, "same old Dan back at it". McNabb is not the Qb of the future but he sure gives us a few quality years calling the signals.

This offseason isn't over yet. I see a few more trades coming. Some may even be as big as the McNabb trade.

So..Chin up naysayers!

Going on the title of the thread yeah I agree both are about winning now and not rebuilding predominantly with youth.

I am leery about Philly being willing to trade within the division, with the little voice in my head asking, what does philly know that we don't.

Back in the day San Francisco didn't let go of their "star" players unless they didn't have anything left or they were a contract year fraud, cough Stubbyfield cough and Philly has a track record of being the same.

I had really loved our offseason up to this point. Now I'm feeling sick. This is a Vinny Cerrato move, not a move championship organizations make.

Vinny would have drafted Clausen because of his boner for ND football. This is a calculated brilliant play. We sat on the sideline until the market settled. Saw that he wasn't interested in playing for buffalo or Oakland. So we swept in and grabbed him. Either way we were using #4 or #37 on a QB. Instead of rolling the dice on an unproven spread college QB. We get a legit NFL Pro Bowl caliber West coast quarterback. I just dont see what the problem is.

Going on the title of the thread yeah I agree both are about winning now and not rebuilding predominantly with youth.

I am leery about Philly being willing to trade within the division, with the little voice in my head asking, what does philly know that we don't.

Back in the day San Francisco didn't let go of their "star" players unless they didn't have anything left or they were a contract year fraud, cough Stubbyfield cough and Philly has a track record of being the same.

How accurate this is I can't say, but what I'm hearing is that McNabb more or less made us his destination over teams like Buffalo and da Raidahs -- that coupled with the last minute additional pick next year might have overridden inter-divisional trade concerns.

I definitely do not understand all the negativity about this trade. Personally, I would rather have the youth on the O line than at QB right now. I would rather we get that group meshing in front of an experienced QB than a rookie whose career we may ruin. We are getting a lot of proven players on the cheap so that we can slowly replace them with younger players over the next couple of years while remaining competitive in the mean time. How long do you think this fan base would keep its sanity if we went 4-12 or 5-11 the next two years? We would be calling for a new coach again. This way, we get 10-6, 9-7, 11-5 or somewhere around there for the next couple of years and allow the youth we will hopefully be in to learn from proven players and work their way in. In 5 years, we have a young, experienced team that we can build on for years to come. I see absolutely no problems here. And I cannot wait to see our young receivers catching passes from a solid QB! We can actually run the fade this year...lol

I'm giving Bruce Allen and Mike S. the benefit of the doubt. Heck, I'd trust a back of chips and hot dog to decide our fate then having Cerrato play fantasy football with our roster.

I'm thinking the acquisition of mcnabb gives us so much better of a chance succeeding, especially with a new offense. This is Mike S's version of Elway 97.

As for the other two running backs, it doesn't seem too much like a frivolous decision. He scene that Portis wasn't the answer. LJ and Parker came cheap.

Here's my view:

1) I "know" McNabb is an upgrade to Jason

2) I hated giving up more picks.

I like the move from the standpoint of getting someone who knows the system and has a few years left in him. But I hate giving up the picks (even though I knew it would take a 2nd rounder for McNabb) which reeks of Vinnyism. But I know the FO at least has a plan in place and if we could recoup a 3rd rounder for Campbell, it won't be so bad.

Donovan McNabb, Rex Grossman, Larry Johnson, Willie Parker? This roster is looking like my fantasy football team circa 2006.

All short-term deals. Maybe McNabb is extended, but the others are little risk over 1-2 years.

Vinny would go 5 years with questionable talent.

This FO has already cleaned Vinny's salary cap mess.

Donovan McNabb, Rex Grossman, Larry Johnson, Willie Parker? This roster is looking like my fantasy football team circa 2006.

I really did feel comfortable with the new leadership in place. Bruce Allen and Mike Shanahan are top-notch NFL guys, right? So why does this offseason feel like we're regressing to the era when we chased after name players past their prime?

It's early, and personnel moves may still be in the works. And a sprinkling of veterans as placeholders and stopgaps until younger guys step up is fine. But this wholesale shopping spree just doesn't feel right.

Can somebody with a better notion of the front office thinking tell me why I shouldn't be worried right now? Because I keep hearing Vinny Cerrato's voice saying "Don't worry. We have a plan." And I thought I woke up from that nightmare last fall.

Ok, first the sky is not falling and this front office is different than the last. All the veterans were signed to friendly incentive laden deals that are short term. Clearly they are stopgaps for probably this season and maybe next.

Secondly, with free agency this year, the talent level was extremely limited due to a requirement of six years of service instead of four. That means these guys are going to be older.

McNabb was born Nov. 25th 1976. Brady was born Aug 3rd 1977 and Peyton Manning was born March 24th 1976. I believe all three still have a few good years left in them.

And finally, free agency is not over as teams will make cuts during the summer after the draft. I expect some offensive linemen to be found during this time.

The sky is not falling. What the Redskins have done is addressed the QB position for the near future and gave themselves a chance to groom a young QB either on the roster already or in the draft within the next two offseasons.

I am interested in hearing what moves you would have made this offseason considering how teams are hamstrung in free agency.

I am interested in hearing what moves you would have made this offseason considering how teams are hamstrung in free agency.
Considering this is a deep draft because college players are worried about rookie salary caps this would have been an ideal year to stock pile draft picks. Instead we have no 2nd and no 3rd.

We instead choose to do more of the same. We traded for an injury prone aging star and unless a miracle happens he will be playing behind the worst offensive line of his career.

Considering this is a deep draft because college players are worried about rookie salary caps this would have been an ideal year to stock pile draft picks. Instead we have no 2nd and no 3rd.

We instead choose to do more of the same. We traded for an injury prone aging star and unless a miracle happens he will be playing behind the worst offensive line of his career.

And again I point out that free agency is not over. I would have liked to have more draft picks, and you may see some mid level picks via trade on draft day.

You play with the hand that is dealt you, and it seems to me that the Redksins are trying to remain competitive while plugging holes for the short term.

Don't be suprised if this team works out deals for more picks and signs OL and LB that teams initially held on to via RFA after the draft.

It's way to early to panic, and if they address the line and LB, they will be competitive.

I think it depends on how long Mcnabb plays for us. It won't be the same as the old boss unless the results are the same. The results are all that matter.

Will Mcnabb be here for more than a year or did we just pull a Jason Taylor part 2? I'm hoping Mcnabb can stay and perform well for at least 3-5 years. Is that wishful thinking?

Archived