Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Meet the New Boss, Same as the Old Boss?

Dan T.

There is a huge difference between Taylor and McNabb. For one Defensive end's age twice as fast as QB's. Also we took Taylor out of his natural position. Instead of standing up and rushing the edge on the right side. We parked him in a three point stance on the left side. Now that being said he was also side tracked with a freak staff infection that almost cost him his leg.

McNabb has a ton of life left. And the best part is, he knows offense. He has been under the Bill Wash West Coast system his entire career.

We are doing the same thing that we did earlier in Snyder's ownership. Grabbing every ex probowler that we can get our hands on.

McNabb is done, I'm afraid. You could see it the last couple of years. Particularly last year. All he really had was the deep ball to Maclin/Jackson and once team's figured out that you couldn't give those midgets a clean release... well, it was game over.

So now, a Philly front office that has made way more good decisions than bad ones, just made a mistake in letting McNabb go? I highly doubt it. They know he can't get it done anymore. They are sure enough of that to let him go to a division rival.

That should make us Redskin fans very, VERY nervous. It sure does me.

All the old RB's don't have a lot left either.

And we should be OK with this because it isn't Cerrato standing beside Danny? Give me a break. Shanny has made enough personnel goofs to fill a legal pad. He is NOT immune to bad decision making.

Worst of all though, is giving up a high second round pick in THIS draft. The caliber of player that will be taken in the high second is like a mid-first rounder in most drafts. Horrible decision.

I had hoped that the new additions to the Snyder front office would simply keep their picks and build for the future. This is an amazing draft and we now have lost 2/3 of our "high" picks. These draft picks are like gold. They are worth way more than anything else when it comes to stocking a franchise with talent. I (and probably most Redskin fans) would have been perfectly happy with keeping the picks and building for the future. I didn't expect too much this year and getting some young star players to grow with the team would have been great.

Instead we have a QB that is finished now and will be completely done in a year or two, while Philly will be enjoying the young blue-chipper we traded to them for the next decade.

Somebody please convince me I'm wrong. :(

lol some people are funny..People ***** ALL the time that we need to upgrade at QB, and we get a Pro Bowl QB and now all the sudden people say we've regressed? I dont see how..We're still going to get an O-Lineman at #4..Chill people.

the problem is the redskins haven't grown their own talent in over 10 years.

which is why we always have over priced, over hyped, past their prime players.

this is more of the same. instead of drafting a guy for the future, and grooming him for that day, we're getting someone for the now.

the problem with that is that its short sighted. in a league that is dominated by teams that make good long-term decisions.

for 2-3 years we'll have one of the top QB's in the league for the first time in a long, long time.

after that we'll be right back where we started.

I'm not against McNabb being the QB this year or next... i'm against not picking upsomeone who will be the QB in 2015. but who knows, maybe thats in the plan this year as well. people thinking we're 'definitely' going OL @ #4 have to be kidding themselves. we have no clue what they're going to do. for all we know they make another trade to get Bradford, or pick up clausen, or pick up someone in the later rounds with the intention of growing them under mcnabb. hell, maybe they think Brenan just needs 2 or 3 more years then he'll be ready to take over without missing a beat.

the only thing this move really shows us is that we don't have a frekin clue, outside of throwing **** the wall and seeing what sticks Florio style, what this FO is going to do next.

A guy throws for 22 and 10 (while missing 3 games) and you call him washed up. His offensive line was just as bad as ours. Some you dudes wouldn't know a good move if it hauled off and **** slapped you in the face. McNabb is turning 34 he's got at least 4 great seasons left in him. And within that window we can address get a project player in there to address the position while winning.

A guy throws for 22 and 10 (while missing 3 games) and you call him washed up. His offensive line was just as bad as ours. Some you dudes wouldn't know a good move if it hauled off and **** slapped you in the face. McNabb is turning 34 he's got at least 4 great seasons left in him. And within that window we can address get a project player in there to address the position while winning.

McNabb scored zero TD's in 21 possessions against Dallas in his final two games for Philly. Twenty-one!

Like Peter King said, "But when you trade a quarterback to a team you'll play twice a year, the trading team is thinking: This guy can't hurt us. We know everything about him, and we know we're better turning the page without him."

Did you really watch McNabb in his last two seasons? His accuracy is poor. His legs are not what they used to be... and they were the only thing that ever made him anything close to special. His decision making is good compared to Campbell... but not that great.

I haven't seen a thing in two years that makes me think McNabb is still a good QB.

Shanny's playcalling will help... but McNabb is just a stop gap at this point. Giving up a high second in this rich draft for that makes me kind of ill.

This move is nothing like the past. In the past we got players who were clearly past their prime. McNabb went to the pro bowl just last year, and that was with him missing two games. We just got a top 10 QB on our team which makes us instantly better.

And for the fokes saying why do this we're not one player away from winning, you forget that the same N.O. Saints team that held up the Lombardi trophy last year was 8-8 in '08 and 7-9 in '07. They made very subtle changed to their roster. The big additions were adding defensive coordinator Gregg Williams and defensive leaders in Johnathan Vilma and Darren Sharper who turned that defense into monsters. That team always scored points they just couldn't stop anybody, hell we beat 'em in '08 I was at the damn game. We couldn't stop them but their defense couldn't stop us either. Last year their defense stepped up with the additions they had.

We're somewhat doing the same thing just reverse the weak points, our weakness has been our offense. We added the coaching minds in the Shanahan's and now we've added the leader in a proven winning QB Donovan McNabb. We've have a stingy defense in terms of points allowed for a while now, we just couldn't score any with our offense. Now with this combination of McNabb and the Shanahan's I don't think this will be a problem. Am I sayng we'll turn into a Super Bowl team this year? No, but we will be competitive and in a year or two with a few additions here and there we could be in the mix.

McNabb scored zero TD's in 21 possessions against Dallas in his final two games for Philly. Twenty-one!

Like Peter King said, "But when you trade a quarterback to a team you'll play twice a year, the trading team is thinking: This guy can't hurt us. We know everything about him, and we know we're better turning the page without him."

Did you really watch McNabb in his last two seasons? His accuracy is poor. His legs are not what they used to be... and they were the only thing that ever made him anything close to special. His decision making is good compared to Campbell... but not that great.

I haven't seen a thing in two years that makes me think McNabb is still a good QB.

Shanny's playcalling will help... but McNabb is just a stop gap at this point. Giving up a high second in this rich draft for that makes me kind of ill.

Agree completely, you take the best possible player we could have taken with our first and second round pick. If we don't get Bradford then we take the best OL and then target another OL in the second. Next year, you make a deal for the QB if you did not get Bradford this year. What does McNabb give us......a couple of more wins!!! Please, I'd rather have the youth and maybe two OL that will be playing here long after McNabbs is gone!!!

Like it or not Mcnabb is the greatest QB the Redskins have had since Sonny Jurgenson.

This despite not even throwing a pass as a Redskin yet.

No team goes to multiple playoffs or multiple SB's without a great QB and now we have one.

I believe he still has 4 or 5 years left,and hopefully by not playing on that horrible surface they call a field in philly Mcnabb will stay healty here.

We can still draft a top tier OL this year maybe two if we can pull a trade back. If we can swing other trades we can fill even more gaps. Why can't we draft a QB next year when the QB class will be deeper. We weren't getting Bradford this year without giving up our next two drafts which I wouldn't have been happy with and obviously neither was Shanahan. He obviously also didn't see what he wanted in Clausen who we could've drafted at #4.

Lets see where stand after the draft and going into the regular season. We haven't made all of our moves yet and we still have time to fill the holes we have. What we've done is gotten a hell of a jump on becoming a good team.

I mean lets look at our history of 2nd round draft picks for a second.

2007- Kelly, Thomas, Davis

2006- Rocky

2003- Taylor Jacobs

2002- Ladell Betts

2001- Fred Smoot

1999- Jansen

1998- Stephen Alexander

2nd round picks are not exactly slam dunks. It's hit or miss. I would take a 34 yr old McNabb over any of those guys. In a second.

McNabb went to the pro bowl just last year, and that was with him missing two games.

Did you see him in that probowl? Rogers (who went first) and Romo sits to pee (who went last) made McNabb look like Jason Campbell. His accuracy was terrible and he looked lost.

We just got a top 10 QB on our team which makes us instantly better.

Top 10?!? NO WAY.

And for the fokes saying why do this we're not one player away from winning, you forget that the same N.O. Saints team that held up the Lombardi trophy last year was 8-8 in '08 and 7-9 in '07.

The Saints had Brees, who is light years better than McNabb is these days.

Did you see him in that probowl? Rogers (who went first) and Romo sits to pee (who went last) made McNabb look like Jason Campbell. His accuracy was terrible and he looked lost.

Top 10?!? NO WAY.

The Saints had Brees, who is light years better than McNabb is these days.

It was a pro Bowl game I don't care how a player plays in the Pro Bowl, who does?

You're crazy if you don't put McNabb in the top 10 list in the league for QB's

I agree that Brees is better than McNabb but Brees was also on that NO teams in '07 and '08 when they went 7-9 and 8-8 respectively. This is a team game and he needed a defense to get that team going and once he got it he won, all the stats in the world doesn't mean a thing. I bet if you ask him if he would trade that year he almost broke Marino's passing record but his team went 8-8 for his super bowl ring he'd do it in a heartbeat.

I think you're also forgetting the Shanahan factor we're no longer coached by Jim Zorn and the circus that was the Redskins a year ago. we went 8-8 two years ago and I truly believe that we were colser to that then the 4-12 we went last year. Our coach lost the team and it showed. Plus we lost 7 games by less than a TD. McNabb and the Shanahan's can make us a TD better IMHO.

Now your lying to yourself if you don't consider McNabb a top 10 QB. I understand you don't like the move. But he had a great season last year.

Brady got crushed by Baltimore at home and Manning had marginal numbers in the superbowl. So are they now considered ****ty QB's.

His numbers don't lie. The Eagles ran a predictable bull**** scheme and limped into the playoffs. We would have spent the pick on a marginal prospect (tebow or colt mccoy) that would ride the bench for a couple years. Instead we have an NFL ready QB thats motivated to beast his former team.

Now your lying to yourself if you don't consider McNabb a top 10 QB. I understand you don't like the move. But he had a great season last year.

Brady got crushed by Baltimore at home and Manning had marginal numbers in the superbowl. So are they now considered ****ty QB's.

His numbers don't lie. The Eagles ran a predictable bull**** scheme and limped into the playoffs. We would have spent the pick on a marginal prospect (tebow or colt mccoy) that would ride the bench for a couple years. Instead we have an NFL ready QB thats motivated to beast his former team.

EXACTLY THIS!!!!!!!

There's only 2 QB's in this league that have led their teams to more wins than McNabb in recent years and their names are Tom Brady and Peyton Manning. I'm sorry but we can't get either one of them so I'll take Donovan. I live in Philly and the guy has been crucified for not winning a SUPER BOWL, but he has won consistently and that includes this past year. I also blame some of their struggles on Andy Reid who was unwilling to run the ball. He put the ball in McNabb's hands and said you're going to throw the ball 50 times a game. Shanahan isn't going to do that we're going to keep eams honest with our run gmae opening up throwing lanes for McNabb. Again let me say I'm by no means saying we're all of a sudden a Super Bowl contender I'm simply saying we just got a lot better and we're taking steps toward being mentioned in that breath in the next couple of years.

From Sports Illustrated Don Banks:

1. Philly's not afraid of No. 5.

McNabb being moved after 11 seasons as an Eagle was something that had started to feel inevitable in the past 10 days or so. But McNabb being dealt to division rival Washington, where he could conceivably haunt his former team twice every season, that's the stunner.

Obviously, the Eagles aren't worried about McNabb rubbing their face in it the same way Green Bay was desperate to not play against Brett Favre as a Viking. The Packers made sure to deal Favre away to the AFC-based Jets in the summer of 2008, believing the further away he got from the NFC North, the better. When the reports surfaced that Oakland was the leader in the McNabb trade talks last week, it looked like the Eagles were thinking roughly the same thing: Don't let No. 5 come back to beat us.

But apparently not, which speaks volumes about either Philadelphia's level of respect for new starting quarterback Kevin Kolb's game, or its lack of respect for where McNabb's game is headed as he enters his 12th NFL season. Either way, the Eagles didn't worry about the revenge factor when it comes to McNabb, they were just after the best possible trade partner. And with the 37th pick in a very deep 2010 draft to dangle, that proved to be the Redskins. NFC East, or not.

He also says:

But, know this, too: The belief that McNabb's departure will leave a giant-sized leadership void in the Eagles locker room simply isn't true. Sources close to the situation in Philadelphia have told me in recent months that McNabb does not have close relationships with the younger Eagles play-makers like DeSean Jackson, LeSean McCoy and Jason Avant. Those players are actually tighter with Kolb, who came to Philadelphia in 2007. So many of McNabb's closest friends on the Eagles are now ex-Eagles. As a tight veteran group, they won a lot of games in Philadelphia and went to a Super Bowl together, but many of them have moved on in the past two or three years.

"It's not going to be the huge leadership hole in the locker room that some portray,'' a club source said. "I think guys will miss him to some degree, but it's not as if he was beloved by this particular group of his teammates. The younger guys have only played with him for a year or two, and they're not as close to Donovan as they are to Kolb.''

As for being a top 10 QB right now... these are the guys right off the top of my head that I'd rather have leading my team:

1 Peyton Manning

2 Eli Manning

3 Tom Brady

4 Drew Brees

5 Tony Romo sits to pee

6 Aaron Rogers

7 Brett Favre

8 Carson Palmer

9 Phillip Rivers

10 Matt Ryan

11 Joe Flacco

12 Matthew Stafford

13 Ben Roethlesberger

14 Kevin Kolb

15 Jay Cutler

16 Matt Schaub

As for being a top 10 QB right now... these are the guys right off the top of my head that I'd rather have leading my team:

Peyton Manning

Tom Brady

Drew Brees

Tony Romo sits to pee

Aaron Rogers

Phillip Rivers

I'll give you these (I won't include Favre because we don't even know from year to year if he's playing) Rothlisberger and Eli are close but not better. As for the others, they aren't even close to McNabb. Some are young and have time but as of today they don't qualify. Don't misunderstand this move by the Eagles they are rebuilding which is evident from all of the players from their core team that they've let walk. They didn't trade McNabb because they believe Kolb is better they did it to begin building for the future and they had to pay one of them because they were both in the last year of their contracts. They just chose to go with the younger Kolb.

But Flacco, Stafford, and Kolb? Really? You must really have an axe to grind with McNabb, because you are the only person that would put together a top QB list that was structured this way. And to have Eli over Brees and Brady tells me pretty much all I need to know.

so the answer is an oft injured on the downside of the curve QB?

uh huh. unless someone really wants the #4 pick and a movedown is in the works....this makes little sense. JC isn't the answer BUT NEITHER IS MCNABB - you seem to miss that key point.

yea..yea..yea...I get it. Allen/Shanny expect to win now. there is no rebuild. I was going to grace the team 3 yrs to restock with youth and purposefully rebuild. if this is the grand plan.....strike while the iron is hot and then wait for the inevitable collapse......it's dog manure. and there will be no grace period.

Missing 4 games in the last 3 years doesn't make someone "oft-injured."

I'm glad you agree JC is not the answer. Then who is the answer?

McNabb buys us some time to find and groom a franchise QB without throwing away any seasons. Is Jason Campbell really the guy you want to groom anybody?

I mean lets look at our history of 2nd round draft picks for a second.

2007- Kelly, Thomas, Davis

2006- Rocky

2003- Taylor Jacobs

2002- Ladell Betts

2001- Fred Smoot

1999- Jansen

1998- Stephen Alexander

2nd round picks are not exactly slam dunks. It's hit or miss. I would take a 34 yr old McNabb over any of those guys. In a second.

I think you are looking at the glass half full!!! Of course McNabb is better than any of them but do you know how long those guys played at a high level or will play at a high level for the Redskins??? Now let's look at McNabb......if he stays healthy.....what 2 years maybe??? Have you seen him play lately?? Yeah, give him a pocket and time and he can still do some damage but what QB can't. I mean look at Favre. The only reason he is doing OK is b/c of that OL and running game. McNabb play making days are over. He might get one here or there just like Favre did last year with that one pass but he is not a game changer anymore!!! Better than JC sure......going to take us to the Superbowl......not a chance!!!!

I think you are looking at the glass half full!!! Of course McNabb is better than any of them but do you know how long those guys played at a high level or will play at a high level for the Redskins??? Now let's look at McNabb......if he stays healthy.....what 2 years maybe??? Have you seen him play lately?? Yeah, give him a pocket and time and he can still do some damage but what QB can't. I mean look at Favre. The only reason he is doing OK is b/c of that OL and running game. McNabb play making days are over. He might get one here or there just like Favre did last year with that one pass but he is not a game changer anymore!!! Better than JC sure......going to take us to the Superbowl......not a chance!!!!

McNabb was sacked 32 times in 14 games. I'd hardly call that a pocket passers dream. There is no reason why McNabb can't be an effective passer for the next 4-5 years.

As for the players I mentioned. We already have the answer on most of them. My point is that McNabb was a great value for a 2nd round pick. If he plays 5 years he is then considered a steal.

Archived