Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN via Adam Schefter: 1st round tender on Jason

mnb123

...JC shoulda expected it. They didn't want him last year & they ain't that high on him this year. He signs the tender, no one else offers him anything or offers anything for him, them he gets be a punching bag until Bradford is ready or the O-Line is upgraded enough for Bradford to take over.

I have considered whether Campbell would sign a $3.1 million one year deal, and be a punching bag.

Yes, he will.

What do you think they think of the tenders? Rocky is pissed that he thinks he's worth more then a 2nd.

Los better see the writing on the wall that he was only tendered a 1st while DR is gonna be free to sign here. Maybe he shouldn't have run his mouth & taken roundabout shots & his team mates in his interview last week. Durrrr.

JC shoulda expected it. They didn't want him last year & they ain't that high on him this year. He signs the tender, no one else offers him anything or offers anything for him, them he gets be a punching bag until Bradford is ready or the O-Line is upgraded enough for Bradford to take over.

Really, Rocky is pissed? Wow... I honestly am one of Rocky's biggest supporters and absolutely loved the way he played this season (vastly underrated in my mind), but what does he expect for a weak side LBer? There isn't a premium on that position... not his fault of course but he's gotta look at it realistically.

Then again, they could've tendered a 1st for him and listened to the offers knowing they probably wouldn't get a 1st, so I guess I understand why he feels a little slighted.

Sounds like he's more pissed that he's not getting a new contract, which I can understand.

Yeah, I agree, but who knows what he's "more" pissed at: That or the way being tendered at a 2nd rounder is perceived around the NFL. Kinda makes him look expendable.

Right now Jason is probably realizing what a lot of us have known for a long time. That is no team will give up a first rounder for him or even a second rounder. A third rounder is about right for him. Believe me he will be aware of what his market value is. He will be back in camp without be named the starter by a coach who is trying to keep his job, those days are gone. So are the days of check downs and 95 percent of the reps. But it could really be a fresh start for him with a great Coach. The trouble is if he does not perform better then our new QB or some how is moved to second string it would hurt is market value a lot. Either way I wish him the best at what ever he decides to do.

I'm not shocked Rocky is upset. He wants the Redskins to commit to him long term on a contract he feels he's worth or let him test the open market. He probably feels like the Redskins really have no intention of signing him but they are making it difficult for him to sign with a team that will.

This is the business side of football and it isn't always pretty. Rocky and the Redskins each want to do what is best for them.

I'm not shocked Rocky is upset. He wants the Redskins to commit to him long term on a contract he feels he's worth or let him test the open market. He probably feels like the Redskins really have no intention of signing him but they are making it difficult for him to sign with a team that will.

This is the business side of football and it isn't always pretty. Rocky and the Redskins each want to do what is best for them.

Yeah, I think another thing we're missing, and perhaps Rocky is as well, is where does he fit in a 3-4 scheme? Maybe that has more to do with it than anything else.

Rocky said there's "nothing negative they can say about me", and wondered out loud what they could possibly be doing this for... well, I think that's the answer.

I agree with KokoMike. Can't wait to see JC on another team and watch him on tv. I can see the coaches from the new team working with him on footwork, vision, picking out secondary receivers, etc. etc. and then he behaves like he did for us on the field. He scored as few points the last two years as Heath Schuler did according to the sig of some ES members who just posted in this thread. AND we gave up 3 draft picks to get him in 2005!! Talk about not getting value-what a sick situation to deal with now if you are the Skins GM. When you listen to NFL Network or ESPN, they rarely mention Skins for making smart moves in free agency or in the draft and now we know why don't we?

Don't the broncos have two first rounders? I could see them taking Jason or a straight swap with Marshall.

The only reason Cutler is not a Redskin is because the Broncos didn't want Campbell.

I would have thought the redskins would do a second round tender to effectively put Campbell on the block

The minimum you can tender a player is 110% of his previous year's salary. In Jason's case, that amounted to greater than what a 1st rd tender is this year. They tendered him the minimum possible amount in order to retain his rights.

This could end up a pretty interesting situation if we trade Jason and then things really don't go our way come draft day.

Lets say Bradford goes #1 overall. Another team (Seahawks maybe) know that we are pretty much set on getting a QB, even if it is our second choice. So they trade up and leapfrog ahead of us to grab Clausen (let's say his workouts are great, etc and they really like him). Well now what do we do? There isn't a QB now beyond those guys who is even 1st round material, letalone #4 overall.

So maybe we trade down then and pick up OL or something and an extra pick. We're still in trouble because now we don't even have a young QB to groom (unless we pick someone like McCoy in the 2nd and hope he can play in the NFL). We have Collins who is old and immobile. Colt who is a complete unknown, has never taken a snap in a real NFL game, has been very inconsistent and is coming off of IR. So you bring in a vet? Who? Pennington? The guy hardly even needs to get hit to get injured. Besides, he hasn't even said for sure that he is going to come back to the NFL after another shoulder injury.

Garcia? Maybe, but how long has it been since the guy took a snap? And he is, what, 39? If anyone says Bulger I might die from laughing. Still, none of this changes the fact that we're now stuck with nothing but old stopgaps and a 6th round project but WITHOUT the young "franchise QB" learning and waiting in the wings.

Foot, meet bullet.

Los better see the writing on the wall that he was only tendered a 1st while DR is gonna be free to sign here. Maybe he shouldn't have run his mouth & taken roundabout shots & his team mates in his interview last week. Durrrr.

JC shoulda expected it. They didn't want him last year & they ain't that high on him this year. He signs the tender, no one else offers him anything or offers anything for him, them he gets be a punching bag until Bradford is ready or the O-Line is upgraded enough for Bradford to take over.

Holy Tea Leaves Batman!

Losing JC before the draft would be a huge tactical error and would all but guarantee that we have to trade up to get Bradford.

So he will be here for the 2010-11 season. Okay, I just really, really hope that there is an honest open competition at the QB postition.

I have a feeling that if given a real competition, Colt will win by a land slide.

I get a feeling if it's between those two, we all lose.

So he will be here for the 2010-11 season. Okay, I just really, really hope that there is an honest open competition at the QB postition.

I have a feeling that if given a real competition, Colt will win by a land slide.

If he's not released first, per Jason Reid's recent blog about last season and Zorn's desire to do that.

I really hope Colt blows Shanny away and wins the QB job but I just dint see it. More realistically he has to beat out Collins for the #2 job or he will not even make the roster. He has to do MUCH better than he did last year in camp and preseason.

This could end up a pretty interesting situation if we trade Jason and then things really don't go our way come draft day.

Lets say Bradford goes #1 overall. Another team (Seahawks maybe) know that we are pretty much set on getting a QB, even if it is our second choice. So they trade up and leapfrog ahead of us to grab Clausen (let's say his workouts are great, etc and they really like him). Well now what do we do? There isn't a QB now beyond those guys who is even 1st round material, letalone #4 overall.

So maybe we trade down then and pick up OL or something and an extra pick. We're still in trouble because now we don't even have a young QB to groom (unless we pick someone like McCoy in the 2nd and hope he can play in the NFL). We have Collins who is old and immobile. Colt who is a complete unknown, has never taken a snap in a real NFL game, has been very inconsistent and is coming off of IR. So you bring in a vet? Who? Pennington? The guy hardly even needs to get hit to get injured. Besides, he hasn't even said for sure that he is going to come back to the NFL after another shoulder injury.

Garcia? Maybe, but how long has it been since the guy took a snap? And he is, what, 39? If anyone says Bulger I might die from laughing. Still, none of this changes the fact that we're now stuck with nothing but old stopgaps and a 6th round project but WITHOUT the young "franchise QB" learning and waiting in the wings.

Foot, meet bullet.

Always with the negative waves. :)

It will be ok especially when Jason is gone, hell it can't get much worse.

Archived