Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rams Interested in Campbell?

Gibbsisgod2006

Perfect deal to me would be this:

JC to any team for a 3rd & a 2011 pick that goes up based off his play (starts as 4th and can go as high as a #1)

We sign Chad P. to start for two years while we either draft a QB this year if the FO thinks one is a franchise QB, or next year depending.

it isn't likely that anyone else that we could possibly start next year will be better than Campbell.

Who gives a crap about next year? Haven't we had enough of that kind of thinking? Isn't that why Vinny is gone and Snyder has stepped back?

This is about building a team that can contend year after year. If you look around the league, the teams that can do that all have one thing in common, they all have great QBs. Not average. Not pretty good. GREAT QBs.

If we have to step backwards for one year to get a guy who can lead us to glory for a decade, then we need to do it. And I'm not convinced that it would be a step backwards considering that Jason isn't exactly a proven winner.

JC to any team for a 3rd & a 2011 pick that goes up based off his play (starts as 4th and can go as high as a #1)

We sign Chad P. to start for two years while we either draft a QB this year if the FO thinks one is a franchise QB, or next year depending.

like your idea for draft pic,.. 3rd this year and another pick next year depending on play...

I would settle for just straight 2nd rounder this year...

However Chad P? dude if we are going to trade Campbell... then i say we draft Bradford or Clausen and let them play. I am not a fan of sitting a young QB unless you have someone like Farve still in place ala Green Bay...

I could see us dealing campbell for the Rams second and 4th round picks.

The rams could then trade down from 1 overall and recoup their lost picks. Could work out well for both teams. Especially if we traded down for even more picks.

But even say we didn't trade down and drafted at #4, #33, #37, and 2 in the 96-110 range (conditional picks not yet awarded) We could definitely address quite a few needs.

We should trade Campbell for whatever draft choice(s) we can get for this year's draft. That will give him some more time to learn at some other team's expense, if he can, how to be a winner.

I think we all know that Campbell will accept being a backup in the NFL, because he will accept backup money.

After all, last year, he had a chance to earn a $60 million 6 year contract with $30 million guaranteed. And, other than telling us once, I believe, that he knew that, he never showed it on the field.

So, what did he earn?

For himself? Maybe a tender offer.

For the Redskins? Maybe nothing.

I wouldn't trade him for anything less than a 1st round pick. People can hate on JC all they want but the bottom line is he's a middle of the pack starter in the NFL and we have no one to replace him with. Save the Colt nonsense or the Todd Collins crazy talk... there is a reason no coach of the skins has given either serious thought as a full time starter. If we have to use our 1st to replace with then the very least we'd need for him is another early pick because the line isn't going to fix itself.

I wouldn't trade him for anything less than a 1st round pick. People can hate on JC all they want but the bottom line is he's a middle of the pack starter in the NFL and we have no one to replace him with. Save the Colt nonsense or the Todd Collins crazy talk... there is a reason no coach of the skins has given either serious thought as a full time starter. If we have to use our 1st to replace with then the very least we'd need for him is another early pick because the line isn't going to fix itself.

well for the last 4 seasons weve been losing that "middle of the pack starter". itd be nice to try something else in hopes of not losing.

I could see us dealing campbell for the Rams second and 4th round picks.

The rams could then trade down from 1 overall and recoup their lost picks. Could work out well for both teams. Especially if we traded down for even more picks.

But even say we didn't trade down and drafted at #4, #33, #37, and 2 in the 96-110 range (conditional picks not yet awarded) We could definitely address quite a few needs.

I am not one of the JC haters on the board, sort of neutral on him. But yeah I'd be thrilled to get a 2nd rounder, and I think we'd be lucky here to pull it off -- keep in mind the Rams 2nd rounder is a high pick, so likely a 1st round talent type of player will land here.

As for the Rams it doesn't for me seem far fetched for them to be interested, JC isn't IMO the disaster some make him out to be, and I don't think the league sees him as a bottom rung QB -- his numbers show that he's an OK QB. IMO average -- not below average that some say he is, not above average either.

For a team like the Rams to want a young/solid QB with good character seems to be reasonable to me. But no way I'd give up multiple high picks for him if I were them. I'd offer their high 3rd rounder.

Unless we can get a decent starter in FA, I'd be a bit nervous about trading Campbell. Granted he's not a top flight QB, but I'd be alot happier playing him over bringing in a Jake Delhomme or a Chad Pennington. Despite his play in 2007, I really do not view Todd Collins as a viable playing option, nor do I forsee the coaching staff willingly hitching their wagon to an overrated 3rd stringer in Colt Brennan for even a few weeks.

As I said before, Campbell looked pretty good while running plays called by Sherm Lewis, so I would like to see how he would fare in playing for a top notch playcaller in either Mike or Kyle Shanahan.

like your idea for draft pic,.. 3rd this year and another pick next year depending on play...

I would settle for just straight 2nd rounder this year...

However Chad P? dude if we are going to trade Campbell... then i say we draft Bradford or Clausen and let them play. I am not a fan of sitting a young QB unless you have someone like Farve still in place ala Green Bay...

I just worry about a rookie QB getting hit so much they become shell shocked. One can argue Chad will get hit just as much, but a vet will throw the ball away and be a little better at avoiding the hits a rookie will take while trying to hang in the pocket and make the big play when they should bail out and live to play another down.

I'd be very happy with a 2nd round pick for JC. That would give us the flexibility, if we want it, to take Okung in the first round and be sure that McCoy is there for us in the

2nd round. Conceivably, by the end of the second round, we could have our starting tackles and our QB of the future. I'd be happy.

In this scenario, instead of trying to pick up Pennington as our veteran QB, I'd pursue Rex Grossman as a stopgap until the QB we draft this year matures. Obviously Rex is no better (probably worse) than JC, but he does have experience playing in K. Shanahan's offense. He's a risk. But heck, I don't expect him to be there long. Who knows, being a backup for a while could have changed him for the better. Just saying...

Who gives a crap about next year? Haven't we had enough of that kind of thinking? Isn't that why Vinny is gone and Snyder has stepped back?

Every coach cares about the next year, because this is a "what have you done for me lately" league. You aren't allowed to suck for very long in this league. Look at all the rumors around the Rams about what they are going to do at QB. They know they need to do something else quickly or else Spags will be out of a job in short order.

This is about building a team that can contend year after year. If you look around the league, the teams that can do that all have one thing in common, they all have great QBs. Not average. Not pretty good. GREAT QBs.

The Giants are contenders every year, and I wouldn't call Eli great. I'd say the same thing about Pittsburgh and Roethlesburger.

I think you had it right in the first part of of that sentence. It is about building a team that can contend year-after-year, emphasis on TEAM.

If we have to step backwards for one year to get a guy who can lead us to glory for a decade, then we need to do it. And I'm not convinced that it would be a step backwards considering that Jason isn't exactly a proven winner.

There is no guarantee that even if we draft a QB that he will be that guy. Right now, neither option where we pick at #4 is a can't-miss pick. They both have questions. Also, ideally, you want such guys sitting and learning for a year or two, especially when you are talking a guy like Bradford who didn't play a pro-style offense in college.

Getting back to what I said about Campbell, that he's worth more to us on the team than off, is that when you look to trade a player, you look at your alternatives. Fact is, there is a very large drop off between Campbell and potential replacements right now that unless you were offered a great deal, it would be a tough thing to swallow.

Now, things could change after the draft. If we draft a QB and decide that whoever it is is an adequate replacement for Campbell, maybe it will make more sense. That's why I think that if Campbell is going to get dealt, it probably won't be until after the draft. Really, if you are going to get the best value for a player, you have to be willing to hold onto him. I know it is something we aren't used to because our offseason strategy doesn't really lend itself to that behavior, but the nice thing about this offseason is the rules are different and we can afford to do that, if that is what the FO decides to do.

How can you guys say Campbell will be a good QB for the rams to build around but not for the Skins to build around? You would give up our QB for an unproven QB in this draft, that makes no since to me but that just my thoughts

You will quickly learn that at ES, Jason Campbell is da debil and the worst QB in the NFL. ;)

Agree here.

If we are going to trade him, there are other teams besides the Rams to do buisiness with.

Seattle

Cardinals

49rs

Browns

Panthers

and maybe some others.

And as some others have said, this is media speculation, and we shall see alot more in the next 60 days.

LS i know you know this already but no matter what you do you will never get through to these "Campbell is garbage" posters because they already have thier missconcieved ideas of how terrible he is .

I think if the Rams offered something like a 2nd and future conditional pick (upto the value of a second) and maybe some late round position switching ..then we have to look at what is on the table . Anything less and forget it .

I can see the Rams thinking a trade with the Skins would be essentially the same as a trade with the Bucs because if we ended up swapping into 1st overall from 4th then we would most likley take a QB with the first pick, the Bucs and Lions would take a DT each and the Rams would have a choice of Berry, Okung and one of Bradford or Clausen .

Chad Pennington would be GREAT, behind an offensive line that could protect, something we do not have right now.

Either way i see JC as a goner. I really do. There are alot of teams who are in the market for an average/above average QB. Unfortunately this year's FA class is not stocked with much talent. I can really see a team going out on a limb for JC, especially if they have a solid Oline to protect..

Archived