Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rams Interested in Campbell?

Gibbsisgod2006

but you, others, and he clearly think he is a solid to potentially good starting QB, so wouldnt he and his agent want to top out financially and give him the best opportunity to go to a team where he could flourish?

accepting a one year small money deal from a team that has tried to get other QBs in here doesnt seem like a great deal does it? if hes worth as much as some claim, why would he settle here?

How much say will he have if he is a RFA? But I will be surprised if he signs a deal less than two years in D.C. unless he has no other choice.

id agree we'll see a more balanced offense, but teams with good QBs pass the ball more than they run. the modern NFL is a passing league and the last two QBs our offensive minds have worked with were gunslinging jay cutler and league leading passer matt schaub.

if you think these guys are gonna be content with jason campbell after working with those two, woah baby.

Lets get one thing straight:ols:...after this 09 season I have finally given up on JC.

So, having said that, even though I don't think that JC is the answer to our offensive problems, I don't think that getting rid of him and throwing some rookie to the wolves (meaning our horrible o-line) is the answer either.

I guess that I just haven't been able to log on enough lately to be able to read any viable suggestions.

In other words...I agree with what you are saying...the Colts, Saints, yada, yada, yada. But, in your opinion what do we do?

With MS making such a high tender for JC I was wondering if with HIS reviewing of all JC's passes he may have seen a potential we haven't? He can see the drops, line mistakes, bad routes, etc. which we mere mortals cannot see on our Vsio's. So...tho I am not 100% on the JC bandwagon, maybe we should be looking at how JC looks to MS compared to his previous QB's and not not what is in the league today.

IMO, the benefit of trading Campbell comes down to one word...compensation. I would be fine with Campbell starting for a year while a rookie sits if he weren't going to be able to walk as an unrestricted FA after the season.

If we trade Campbell now, we might get a 3rd. That player could be a bust, a perennial Pro Bowler, or somewhere in between. But the point is that we get something in return for his departure. If he plays 2011, he likely leaves and we get no compensation.

The only way we can get compensation for him in 2011 is if we franchise tag him. But we can only justify that if he plays at a Pro Bowl level. But even if he plays at that level, its doubtful a team would trade a 1st for him because his one strong season won't inflate his value that much (i.e. Derek Anderson). So best we can hope for is an early 2nd.

While getting an early 2nd in 2011 would be great, is it that much of an improvement over an early 3rd in 2010? To start, this is being mentioned as possibly the deepest, strongest draft in years. With the junior exodus, 2011 might be a bit watered down. And to top it all off, we'd have to bank on JC playing on a Pro Bowl level to get that.

Course, you are assuming that there is no draft compensation system in place, which there has been in the current CBA agreement. To say that we'd get nothing is somewhat ignorant, particularly knowing that if Campbell was a FA, he'd be the top QB in the class.

As for the question of who starts for the Skins, we just need a stopgap QB. Todd Collins, Jeff Garcia, Brian Griese, Chad Pennington, Daunte Culpepper, Rex Grossman, Colt Brennan. Pick the guy that can help you win the most games. But the gap between those guys and Campbell isn't worth turning down draft picks.

Actually, it is. All of those guys are huge dropoffs from Campbell for various reasons, either due to age, health, or general performance. I wouldn't take anything to replace Campbell with one of those guys.

Also if we draft QB, I'm positive that Campbell will request a trade. He was ready to do it after the Cutler and Sanchez talk last year. Do you think he will take a 3rd slap in the face. Considering the punishment he took last year, I can't see his agent being comfortable with him possibly getting hit like that again with no long-term contract in place. He won't allow Campbell to come back and be a crash test dummy while we revamp the line.

A different situation. Remember that he said that after he had a clearing-of-the-air meeting with the FO and then the rumors started up again. What is clear is that he believed that the FO was not playing straight with him. If the current FO does play thing straight with him and doesn't fool around, I don't think he will do it again.

I think that we can't afford to miss this opportunity. The opportunity cost of keeping Campbell is far to great.

I think some are overvaluing what other teams would be willing to pay for Campbell in trade. In general, teams tend to value their own players higher than other teams value them, because they are a known commodity to their own teams. In this case, another team is going to need to value Campbell more than we value him. While it could happen, I don't see it happening. If it does happen, it is more likely to happen during or after the draft.

In any case, I don't see the team putting a "for sale" sign on Campbell in the next couple of months, tho like all teams, they will listen to offers if teams are willing to make them.

I find it hard to believe that Spags would have any real interest in Campbell, outside of if he were able to bring Campbell in without having to give up anything. JC isn't really a playmaker and something tells me that if Spags does go out and get another QB he's gonna lean more towards either someone younger with more untapped potential, or with another vet who has more potential to make plays. JC seems a better fit with an established offense and established head coach.

Lets get one thing straight:ols:...after this 09 season I have finally given up on JC.

So, having said that, even though I don't think that JC is the answer to our offensive problems, I don't think that getting rid of him and throwing some rookie to the wolves (meaning our horrible o-line) is the answer either.

I guess that I just haven't been able to log on enough lately to be able to read any viable suggestions.

In other words...I agree with what you are saying...the Colts, Saints, yada, yada, yada. But, in your opinion what do we do?

IMO, we get pennington in here, whos proven he can win, and we let him colt and the rookie we draft duke it out. we draft the best OT at 36 and hopefully nab a starting quality guard in round 4. im hoping we nab a guy like neal in FA or another FA and we can potentially get a semblance of a good oline going. its IMPOSSIBLE to fix this line completely in one year, so itd be nice to see us start moving in the right direction.

but QB is #1, we will never win or even compete (especially in this division) without a good QB. even if pennington lasts til week 8 we can let colt finish out the season and be ready to let bradford start next year. hoping we finish like 6-10, we'd have close to a top 10 pick, and we could use that pick on an OT next year in the first round.

once we get a potential QB, we can spend every pick until the end of time on oline, i just want the future kid here, waiting in the wings, and learning as much as possible while we build the oline around him.

IMO, we get pennington in here, whos proven he can win, and we let him colt and the rookie we draft duke it out. we draft the best OT at 36 and hopefully nab a starting quality guard in round 4. im hoping we nab a guy like neal in FA or another FA and we can potentially get a semblance of a good oline going. its IMPOSSIBLE to fix this line completely in one year, so itd be nice to see us start moving in the right direction.

but QB is #1, we will never win or even compete (especially in this division) without a good QB. even if pennington lasts til week 8 we can let colt finish out the season and be ready to let bradford start next year. hoping we finish like 6-10, we'd have close to a top 10 pick, and we could use that pick on an OT next year in the first round.

once we get a potential QB, we can spend every pick until the end of time on oline, i just want the future kid here, waiting in the wings, and learning as much as possible while we build the oline around him.

I ****ing hate that I'm agreeing with you lately lol :ols:...although I'm not sold completely on getting Pennington. Slightly, but not completely.

Why Campbell when he already has Bulger?

Main reason is money, I think if the Rams can release Bulger this off season they will wipe off over 6 million in guarantees (Im not exactly sure on the number). Besides when a new regime takes over, usually, they want to bring in their own guys at certain positions.

I ****ing hate that I'm agreeing with you lately lol :ols:...although I'm not sold completely on getting Pennington. Slightly, but not completely.

see? youre a smart guy after all! :cheers:

but yeah, pennington at least provides true vet qualities, and hes crazy accurate up to about 12 yards. and if our oline is as bad as some think, 12 yards is about as far as our receivers will get!

Quick question. If we kept JC this year and he played well, but he chooses not to sign an extension (or we choose not to give him one) and he hits FA, wouldn't we probaly get like a 3rd rd compensatory pick for him considering he would sign on somewhere as a starter?

And if this is the case, why the hell would we trade him for anything less then a 3rd rd pick? I see some of you suggesting that we take whatever we can get for him or that we could only get a 3rd for him. I feel some of you really under-value a middle of the pack ranked QB who hasn't hit his ceiling yet. I see us getting atleast what NE got for Matt Cassel.

I can't see Spags being interested in Campbell. His job is on the line and JC hasn't exactly shown he can win games with a mediocre supporting cast -- and he won't even have that in St. Louis.

That said, if by some chance the Rams actually are interested, I would expect Shanahan to listen. Because he watches film -- and the film shows JC has shown the same flaws no matter the scheme or the personnel around him. He doesn't read defenses well/doesn't see the field and he doesn't throw downfield with any accuracy -- I think if Shanny can get a second round pick for JC, he'll take it.

Interesting.

I can't really argue with anything that you said. I'm not really a Pennington fan with that noodle arm of his, but I guess that you don't really need a rocket arm in a west coast type of offense.

So, I'm assuming that you have us trading JC? Hopefully then we would be able to add a pick and select another OL to your senario.

All pure speculation based on the Rams showing a strong desire to get a QB and looking around at who maybe can offer them a QB. First it was that they were in the drivers seat to get Vick, until Philly screwed that up by saying that they weren't in a hurry to trade him. The focus now has gone to Tampa and Josh Johnson. Now someone is turning their glances at Campbell.

The thing is, I don't see the Redskins making a deal unless they are getting good value for him (multiple picks). To be honest, Campbell is more valuable to us on the team than off.

Agreed...they are simple looking at all options. However, didn't I read somewhere that Spags wasn't that "high" on JC when he interviewed for the Skins job 2 years ago? I think it had something to do with how easy it was to game plan against him?

Interesting.

I can't really argue with anything that you said. I'm not really a Pennington fan with that noodle arm of his, but I guess that you don't really need a rocket arm in a west coast type of offense.

So, I'm assuming that you have us trading JC? Hopefully then we would be able to add a pick and select another OL to your senario.

trade campbell for a 4th rounder and snag another oline or project cornerback/linebacker.

We won those Super Bowls in a Different Era. Great running game's and a good offensive line won the super bowls back then not now. You need fire power on offense. Everyone likes to refer back to our Super Bowl teams make up and how we won but it is a different age of football compared to 20 years ago. The league now is QB Driven more than ever that is why we have to say good bye to JC. Especially if a team is willing to give up some draft picks. We have 4 other picks to select lineman with. You take BPA over need.

I don't even now what "QB driven"is.No QB wins without a good OL,Good defense,solid ST.QB is just 1 position on the field.

Did you see Peyton win the SB this year?Wait he didn't because his OL couldn't block the Saints pass rush.QB driven is a media term for "I think I love the QB"

Everyone needs to stop trying to make the game more than it is.The same things that won games 20 years ago will win them today.

So much of what you on these boards is just talk or hype but if there was ever one thread I hope comes true it is this one. I would love it if St Louis really wanted Campbell and if somehow we could get their 2nd round pick this year.

If so, we could draft QB in the 1st and then maybe target Bruce Campbell and Brown for OL with 2 2nd round picks. That would be awesome.

I really hope the Rams have interest in Campbell and hopefully they haven't watched too much footage on him because if so then our trade value will drop dramatically as we all know JC is really not that good.

Time to get him out of town and hopefully get some draft picks in return.

Archived