Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rams Interested in Campbell?

Gibbsisgod2006

Rams interested in Campbell?

10:45AM ET

Jason Campbell | Redskins | Interested: Rams?

Top Email

8440.jpg We continue to be interested to see how Jason Campbell fits into the Washington Redskins' long-term plans at QB, given the likelihood that they will draft a gunslinger this April.

But what if his immediate future isn't in D.C. at all? That's the hypothetical posed by NFC East blogger Matt Mosley on Monday. Mosley writes that perhaps the St. Louis Rams -- whose head coach, Steve Spagnuolo watched crates of film on Campbell as DC of the New York Giants -- will make a trade offer to the Skins, since Campbell might be seen as a more conservative alternative to Michael Vick.

mosley_matt_30.jpg

Matt Mosley

Campbell could be available

"I'd be curious to hear what Spagnuolo thought of Redskins quarterback Jason Campbell at this point. Campbell's a restricted free agent for the Skins, but I'm sure Mike Shanahan would listen to offers."

Didn't see this posted

But would they offer a 1st and 3rd rounder for Campbell, which is what I think Clayton said the Skins would tender him with?

The team can tender whatever they want, doesn't mean that's what they'll get in real-time negotiations. Hell with have a hockey rink before any team gives up a first and a third for Campbell.

The team can tender whatever they want, doesn't mean that's what they'll get in real-time negotiations. Hell with have a hockey rink before any team gives up a first and a third for Campbell.

lol. yeah the rams seem like a good place for him at the moment. they have a runningback that he can hand off to 30 times a game, theres no expectations and no pressure, and its a small market team that can barely sellout their home games.

where do we sign?

That can be negotiated, just because he was tendered a 1st and 3rd doesn't mean the Redskins won't take a reasonable trade offer

True but then again the Rams theoretically could give a first and third. Don't know why they would but hey, one can only hope.:drooley:

I feel weird saying that since I'm a Campbell supporter but if we can get anything close to that I might have to say "go for it".

Interesting. I'm sure you folks also read that they they're interested in Josh Johnson from the Bucs. They'd trade the #1 overall to TB for the 3rd overall, 3rd rd pick, & Josh Johnson.

Sounds like the Rams don't want to draft a QB this year....or maybe thats their smokescreen....:whoknows:

why do they need a smokescreen when they draft #1 overall?

I could see a swap of first round picks to guarantee Shanahan gets the guy he wants, assuming the organisation is sold on Bradford. A simple swap would rate Campbell as the 12th selection. I assume this would mean we'd also have to pick up another veteran to start the year.

All pure speculation based on the Rams showing a strong desire to get a QB and looking around at who maybe can offer them a QB. First it was that they were in the drivers seat to get Vick, until Philly screwed that up by saying that they weren't in a hurry to trade him. The focus now has gone to Tampa and Josh Johnson. Now someone is turning their glances at Campbell.

The thing is, I don't see the Redskins making a deal unless they are getting good value for him (multiple picks). To be honest, Campbell is more valuable to us on the team than off.

why do they need a smokescreen when they draft #1 overall?

Longshot just threw all the different scenarios that we've heard about the Rams out there.

Maybe they want people to think they don't want to draft a QB, so someone (like the Bucs...)will trade up to the #1 overall to get the guy they want (because he won't be there at 3...?) Then they still get the QB they wanted at the 3

Ultimately want to acquire top value for that first overall pick if they decide to deal it

All pure speculation based on the Rams showing a strong desire to get a QB and looking around at who maybe can offer them a QB. First it was that they were in the drivers seat to get Vick, until Philly screwed that up by saying that they weren't in a hurry to trade him. The focus now has gone to Tampa and Josh Johnson. Now someone is turning their glances at Campbell.

The thing is, I don't see the Redskins making a deal unless they are getting good value for him (multiple picks). To be honest, Campbell is more valuable to us on the team than off.

Well if we could trade him within the division with a guarentee that he starts both games against us for the next 3 years how can we lose? I would throw in the TE of their choosing for a deal like that.

Good value for JC? = A bag of balls, case of Gatorade, or a box of new pom poms for the cheerleaders, maybe Allen can step up and show off his ability to make the shrewd deal and bring back all 3?

im just not sure the rams are ready to draft a QB with their defense being that terrible. if they gamble on a QB and fail, not only will their offense be terrible, their defense will be even worse.

with us at least we have at minimum a very solid defense to fall back on in case our offense chokes. hell, weve been relying on our defense to keep us mediocre for years so its time for us to at least gamble on trying to find a QB.

the rams are better off taking campbell, who can take a beating, hand off to steven jackson, and be a nice enough guy in the media that the fan base wont completely lambast him, all the while they fix the defense, then go after a real QB when theyre ready. and i think everyone can agree that campbell is an upgrade over kyle boller lol.

im just not sure the rams are ready to draft a QB with their defense being that terrible. if they gamble on a QB and fail, not only will their offense be terrible, their defense will be even worse.

with us at least we have at minimum a very solid defense to fall back on in case our offense chokes. hell, weve been relying on our defense to keep us mediocre for years so its time for us to at least gamble on trying to find a QB.

the rams are better off taking campbell, who can take a beating, hand off to steven jackson, and be a nice enough guy in the media that the fan base wont completely lambast him, all the while they fix the defense, then go after a real QB when theyre ready. and i think everyone can agree that campbell is an upgrade over kyle boller lol.

This is the only reason the Rams may consider Jason Campbell. Trade for him and sign him to a modest 3-year deal while building the team for their true franchise QB that will be found later.

Not sure that view is shared by B/M/K. If Skins had interest they would have started contract negotiations to extend. I would be surprised if Spagnola would pay a Campbell over a Bulger.

Why should they? Campbell is going to be a RFA. They have plenty time to decide if he's going to be the long-term answer at QB.

Also, I think some let their irrational hate of Campbell blind them to the fact that Campbell is a solid QB in a location where we haven't had a decent offense in over 10 years. A solid QB should be worth more than a ham sandwich, particularly since it isn't likely that anyone else that we could possibly start next year will be better than Campbell.

Let me say this: The current rumor with the Rams (trade 1st rounders with Tampa for Josh Johnson and a 3rd rounder) basically values Johnson as a 2nd round pick. Based on what I saw of Johnson, I'd value Campbell higher.

This is the only reason the Rams may consider Jason Campbell. Trade for him and sign him to a modest 3-year deal while building the team for their true franchise QB that will be found later.

hes a good stop gap for another team, especially a team with a competent run game so they wont have to rely on him throwing a lot. and dump offs to steven jackson are how the rams used to win games back in the day.

Uhg. I was hoping for a Rams trade but I had forgotten that Spags was their HC. I just don't see Spags looking back at a QB who never beat his defense and saying to himself "we've got to get this guy".

good point as well, but honestly, the rams dont have much choice. spags needs to think about keephing his job and with new ownership thatll be tough to do if they dont show some signs of life (winning 5 games).

spags either drafts a QB and puts all the marbles in one basket, takes his chances with kyle boller, or trades a low pick for campbell and really tries to rebuild that defense around a guy like suh or mccoy.

I could see a swap of first round picks to guarantee Shanahan gets the guy he wants, assuming the organisation is sold on Bradford. A simple swap would rate Campbell as the 12th selection. I assume this would mean we'd also have to pick up another veteran to start the year.

We're getting ripped off if we give up JC just to move up to number 1. The probability of a QB going in the top 3 picks is slim so not sure why we do this.

Archived