Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NYDN : Sarah Palin: Rahm Emanuel should be fired for using "R" word

Mickalino

I'm glad you posted this Henry. I've also tried to explain why it is offensive to many people. I had to put the computer down last night because I was starting to get very upset.

I actually thought some people would get the hint that maybe some of us have family members with developmental disabilities, but it appears that it escaped many.:mad:

I understand that its upsetting and I too didn't like seeing people use it through this thread, but to use it to score political points is disgusting because it takes one offense and uses it for one's own gain, which seems a lot like passive aggressive manipulation.

Democrats should hold their people to the same standard that they hold Republicans.

I'm not always politically correct by any means, but it seems as if liberals always the first to blow the whistle when others aren't (at least by my personal experience, not talking about R's vs. D's on Capitol Hill. They're are all full of ****).

The latest reaction to Harry Reid and Rahm Emanuel's comments by liberals is very eye-opening. It makes me care even less when I offend them by not being politically correct.

Democrats should hold their people to the same standard that they hold Republicans.

I'm not always politically correct by any means, but it seems as if liberals always the first to blow the whistle when others aren't (at least by my personal experience, not talking about R's vs. D's on Capitol Hill. They're are all full of ****).

The latest reaction to Harry Reid and Rahm Emanuel's comments by liberals is very eye-opening. It makes me care even less when I offend them by not being politically correct.

Whose reaction? I haven't seen anyone say he was good for saying it, just that it isn't fireable. Do you think it is?

Whose reaction? I haven't seen anyone say he was good for saying it, just that it isn't fireable. Do you think it is?

No, I don't think he should be fired for it. Like I said, I think that not always being PC isn't the worst thing in the world. But, you can't tell me that if someone in the Bush White House had said that, these same people wouldn't be calling for resignations. Of course, I can't prove that, because nobody in the Bush White House used this exact term. But I think it's fair to reach this conclusion with all the hostility toward the previous administration.

Obviously, it wasn't closed door... The Republicans tried this tactic with Lott: it was just a party and he was just celebrating the life of a 100 year old man.

Lott didn't even use any offensive words, people just felt offended. We need a bunch of mentally impaired Al Sharptons to rise up here.

Sarah Palin says, "Look, Rahm needs to be more careful with his words but we all say stupid stuff. Please just be more careful in the future."

That's a story.

everyone knows u increase ur chances of having a down syndrome child as you get older in your child bearing years.

i think its selfish to brings kids like that into the world.

Wow. Only someone 25 could even say that. It's not true and "kids like that" are some of the most wonderful, genuinely good people I've ever known. Bar none. You're gonna catch hell for this one and rightly so.

At Maryland graduation, one speaker was a local CEO or something. He was talking his life and his family....and his son....who he told the crowd was "retarded" and his disabilities required him to live in a special home.

I asked my stepmom who's a Doc at Bethesda Naval is people still said "retarded" anymore. She said not really....even when its being used to accurately explain a condition.

In general, I can't help but laugh when I read liberals posting "two wrongs don't make a right" when complaining about unfair attacks to the Obama administration. You all pulled this **** for 8 years, and now you're getting a taste of your own medicine.

Everytime I hear that phrase, I think back to my days in grade school. This one kid spent a couple years picking on me, and I about made it to my breaking point. Then one day, I snapped and beat the crap out of him. He layed on the ground crying, "two wrongs don't make a right!"

They learned it was pretty effective after watching the left use it numerous times. Quit being such a hypocrite for once...

You do realize that supporting it after hating the left for it makes you just as big a hypocrite right? That's the problem with the argument you just used.

Sarah Palin says, "Look, Rahm needs to be more careful with his words but we all say stupid stuff. Please just be more careful in the future."

That's a story.

Honestly, that would be a hell of a powerful punch to the gut. When someone says something like that in such a reasonable manner you can't help but take it very seriously and look down on the culprit.

That said, I'm more on the Palin side on this one. Rahm erred in his use of language, language he was probably trained to use from boyhood and hasn't ripped out of his vocabulary. Palin heard it and most likely had a visceral reaction like Henry and a number of other posters said they have had. Heck, even as an ex special educator who hasn't taught in a school in 7 years, it made me whince. The very first thing I was taught was language.

The child isn't diabled. It's a child with a disability. That's PC, but it's also meaningful. Rahm goofed. Not out of vileness or viscousness or intent to harm, but from intellectual sloppiness and bad habit.

I think Palin responded to that... and I think that she tried to score a few points. But on the ledger sheet, I actually side much more with Palin than her detractors on this one.

I agree. I think I am generally sensitive to the topic as a special educator. I just think that words ought to be used carefully, but not hidden from. More, genuine offense is laudable and needs to be taken into account. Phony offense for gain is something that is worse than a mistake.

My guess is that Sarrah's outrage falls somewhere in the middle of that spectrum. I think she felt a moment of genuine offense, but also figured it was something she could capitalize on.

My son has Downs and its a very sensitive topic for me... I dont think he should be fired for it but I do share Mrs. Palins pain.

I used to use the term myself on occassion before I was a father... but it does really get me when certain women I work with continue to use the term when I am around, even though they know that my son has special needs.

I didnt know you were a special educator - they are special people themselves. Very cool.

it's been stated before in the thread, but i can't get over how ironic it is that some people are upset about "retarded" on a redskins board. Unless they also think our team's name should be changed they're possibly/likely being very hypocritical.

qft

Well, they should be eye opening to the fact that Reid's idiotic comments caused outrage as soon as it happened, and these comments caused outrage a week after this "story" broke because Sara posted her outrage on Facebook.

No one cared at all until she did.

~Bang

everyone knows u increase ur chances of having a down syndrome child as you get older in your child bearing years.

I wount even go into what an ignorant statement that is but I do want to understand... You are suggesting the child is too stupid to live, so they should be aborted.... correct?

If so,

I have been the father of a Downs Syndrome child for 6 years now. I wouldnt change him for anything and I am sure that people would find that hard to believe but it makes him the person I love and I thats the bottom line.

On being selfish... raising my son has been difficult to say the least... heart operations, constant sickness due to low immunity, behavior issues, constantly struggling with medical bills and a dozen other problems, including, currently, a bout with rheumatic fever, which has nearly crippled him mentally.

If all this makes my wife and I selfish, so be it.

What would you say is a acceptable risk level?

Does it then follow that couples having risks for any serious issue above that line should be prevented from taking the chance?

Be sterilized or use forced abortions?

Eugenics is fun to play with :evilg:

I wount even go into what an ignorant statement that is but I do want to understand... You are suggesting the child is too stupid to live, so they should be aborted.... correct?

I wouldn't put too much stock into his statement. He was trying to take a cheap shot at Palin, and failed miserably.

Eugenics is fun to play with :evilg:

No, it's not. I hate that Nazi crap. I also hate that the U.S. was one of the last if not the last 1st world countries to ban it. It was a legally used process administered by the state up til about 1973 if I remember correctly.

It's also why I have worries about designer babies and genetic manipulation.

My son has Downs and its a very sensitive topic for me... I dont think he should be fired for it but I do share Mrs. Palins pain.

I used to use the term myself on occassion before I was a father... but it does really get me when certain women I work with continue to use the term when I am around, even though they know that my son has special needs.

I didnt know you were a special educator - they are special people themselves. Very cool.

Thanks. The good parents of children with disabilities have all my admiration and respect. It is a very intense and taxing experience with both pain and joy, but very few holidays from stress.

If so,

I have been the father of a Downs Syndrome child for 6 years now. I wouldnt change him for anything and I am sure that people would find that hard to believe but it makes him the person I love and I thats the bottom line.

On being selfish... raising my son has been difficult to say the least... heart operations, constant sickness due to low immunity, behavior issues, constantly struggling with medical bills and a dozen other problems, including, currently, a bout with rheumatic fever, which has nearly crippled him mentally.

If all this makes my wife and I selfish, so be it.

It's actually the least selfish thing you can do. I know how corny it sounds when someone commends you just for being a parent, but I will anyway. It's got to be difficult.

~Bang

No, it's not. I hate that Nazi crap. I also hate that the U.S. was one of the last if not the last 1st world countries to ban it. It was a legally used process administered by the state up til about 1973 if I remember correctly.

Don't blame the Nazi's. the US was one of the first to create and implement a eugenics policy. :silly:

Don't blame the Nazi's. the US was one of the first to create and implement a eugenics policy. :silly:

Yeah, but the Nazis took it to a whole disgusting new level, but yeah, we share a very healthy ammount of shame when it comes to sterilizing innocent humans.

And yet quality of life is used as a excuse to abort every day in this country.

(and supported by a large percentage apparently).

Note the large percentage that even refuses to classify a fetus a human.

I certainly share your concerns on the future applications of genetic manipulation.

Hunter is correct it ain't just Nazis.

Archived