Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I might as well run with my reputation: New question for the room

Lombardi's_kid_brother

Probably. Bush put a bad taste in everyone's mouth for everything Republican, and Obama is a charismatic guy. I don't think his wife had anything to do with why he was elected, as much as I don't think any first lady ever has.

~Bang

Obama = 1/2 white so it wouldn't have mattered.

Unless she was Hollywood known and then it would have been all but Arizona voting for him via iphone.

On the racist topic:

I was completely wrong on the 20-30% racist vote i "expected" McCain to receive. (especially with the polling and older folks).

The results from WVA that matched other states later on in the primaries.

It was a pleasant shock though.

only racists would care. racists already had enough problems with obama and he won in a landslide anyway. so no, it wouldn't matter.

Maybe the OP is wondering if some of the African American vote, particularly female, would have stayed home?

Good question.

Honestly I still think he would've won, but it would've been a lot tighter. Some of those who voted for him simply because he's black might have held exception to him "leaving his race" to marry a white woman. On the other side, I don't see how it would affect those who voted against him simply because he's black.

If Blacks make up approx. 14% of the Vote

And then you figure women make up say 7% of that..

(obviously off but not horribly so).

If every black women in America voted for McCain it would have made it look like a comeback in the 4th quarter that only fell 21pts short as opposed to 35.

Do you think Michelle had much influence on the election results? Obama most likely won because he was black and people wanted a change from Bush. If you think a white wife could have changed the election results you have to think that either:

1. The country's against inter racial marriages

2. The white woman would have screwed up something for Obama

I doubt either of those assumptions are true but certainly not out out of the realm of possibilities.

Let's see if Obama married Nancy Pelosi or Hillary Clinton would he have become President? I think probably not. However, if he married Sarah Palin or Ann Coulter than he would have been a shoe-in for the Office. In fact, he'd have a 90% Republican approval score right now.

only racists would care. racists already had enough problems with obama and he won in a landslide anyway. so no, it wouldn't matter.

This.

Plus, I dont think it would have changed the black vote too much. My guess is that for African Americans, the happiness of voting for the first black president would have easily overcast the fact that his wife was white.

Also, Id like to hope that the majority of people who voted thought absolutely nothing of his race and voted for the person that they felt was right for the job, but that may be pretty idealistic of me.

I think most of the white vote he got would not have changed. I mean, people who would be against inter-racial marriage aren't voting for him anyway.

However- and just my opinion- I think he would have lost a decent percentage of the black vote. That might have been enough to turn the tide in Hillary's direction.

I think most of the white vote he got would not have changed. I mean, people who would be against inter-racial marriage aren't voting for him anyway.

I disagree. I think there are still a lot of people who have tempered or changed their views on race as they have gotten older. But inter-racial couples are still a bridge too far for a lot of people in their 40s, 50s, 60s, etc.

However- and just my opinion- I think he would have lost a decent percentage of the black vote. That might have been enough to turn the tide in Hillary's direction.

I think there is some truth to this.

Michael Dukakis could have beaten McCain after eight years of Bush and having the economy tank leading up to the election. It wasn't close, so small things like the race of Obama's wife wouldnt' have changed the outcome of the general election.
The victory over Hillary was razor-thin, and almost anything could have tipped it the other way. Having a white wife may have lessened the enthusiasm among the black community in South Carolina, which would have robbed Obama of some momentum going into Super Tuesday.

...it's really hard to answer the question in isolation though, because without his wife, Obama probably isn't able to forgo a law firm salary to go into public service so young, he doesn't join the United Methodist Church, and he doesn't build the strong connections within the Chicago black community that helped his rise to prominence. Everything would have been different.

Is the attitude shared but most blacks anti inter-racial marriages? I don't know, I'm a white guy. To agree with you I'd have to think that the blacks would put the Anti inter-racial marriage belief over the meaning of having the first black man to be the president of the USA. I can't see them doing that but then again I don't know if the black community is all that against white/black marriages

Is the attitude shared but most blacks anti inter-racial marriages? I don't know, I'm a white guy. To agree with you I'd have to think that the blacks would put the Anti inter-racial marriage belief over the meaning of having the first black man to be the president of the USA. I can't see them doing that but then again I don't know if the black community is all that against white/black marriages

You apparently don't know a lot of college-educated black women.

Obama = 1/2 white so it wouldn't have mattered.

Unless she was Hollywood known and then it would have been all but Arizona voting for him via iphone.

On the racist topic:

I was completely wrong on the 20-30% racist vote i "expected" McCain to receive. (especially with the polling and older folks).

The results from WVA that matched other states later on in the primaries.

It was a pleasant shock though.

One of the reasons I never expected Obama to win was because of race. I have uncles down in WV and they are Dems but would never for a black president.

You apparently don't know a lot of college-educated black women.

I know some, wouldn't say that I knew many of them. And I never said I did. However what's that got to do with anything? I understand that some people are racists and would have problems with White-Black marriages. I know that exists for the whites and the blacks both. I know that racist people are out there. I don't feel like that or agree with it. I'm a white male and don't give a crap if a Black and a White marry and wouldn't ever use the color of the candidates as a reason to vote personally.

Your answer is puzzeling to me. Are you saying that educated black women are all racists? Are you saying that educated black women would vote more along racists beliefs then they would put the advancement of the black in America? What exactly is your point of view on the thoughts of Black educated women exactly and reason for saying that in response to me? Do you speak for educated black women? Do you think all educated black women dislike and disapprove of a black man marrying a white woman?

Archived