Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES: Teammates tired of the Portis drama

themurf

I don't care what the cap hit is... Clinton Portis MUST go. THAT'S when I'll know things are really changing.

With the amount of fire Clinton is taking, this is a full on revolt. The players didn't just saying this for the fans. They are sending a message to Shanahan.

Completely agree. There have been little hints and leaks here and there over the years that players were tired of CP's act, but now the floodgates are opening.

Hopefully '10 will be uncapped and there won't be any cap ramifications to letting him go. But I agree, even with a cap next year, you have to think about just taking the cap hit.

If you take out the outlier (that perfectly blocked run where Portis wasn't touched for 75 yards, and had a fullback in front of him the entire way and still couldn't score on the 78 yard run), his average is 3.35 per carry.

I thought Betts and Ganther provided more to the offense.

To me, you can leave the outlier in and still make a strong case for getting rid of Portis from a value perspective. For a FRACTION of the cost, Ganther, Betts, Rock, and Mason provided comparable output. Not quite as good, but comparable. And, all things being equal, I'd take the slightly less productive RB and use the millions of dollars to address the other needs on this team.

I'm sorry Clinton, you did awesome things for this franchise, and I really wish you didn't continually run your mouth... But when it's time... It's time.

My sentiments exactly. I defended him so many times but now he's making a fool out of me. Peace out, CP.

Um - what part about season ending injury during practice DOESN'T qualify as LITERALLY practicing your ***** (or shoulder) off?!?

The whole point is that he will practice if he believes it's of benefit - if the team is going to fail anyway, why kill yourself? Plenty of vets take this road. Riggo would miss entire weeks and show up Sunday to kick tail.

To redirect: The actual point of my first post was to point out that it was Campbell who took the first shot on TV, Portis was reacting and actually didn't say anything wrong. And that CPo won't make it through of this debacle anyway, most likely.

Folks want to jump on the hate-wagon for CPo, there's plenty of room. I just won't drive it. It shows a fundamental misunderstanding of the product you bought.

I understand people, i just think they're missing the point... oh well...

Um ... in the last 30 minutes I've found out my Portis story was linked by ESPN.com, and now I just got an email from the producer of SportsNation informing me that my website will be their "Site of the Day." Tune in to ESPN2 at 4 p.m. today to see the segment. Holy hell. This is nuts.

Like I said awhile back, you've been on fire. All the painstaking work you've discussed doing to build something of serious quality out of your love for the endeavor shows in more than even the product's obvious appeal to the fans. It's plainly recognized by your peers and the people you cover. Not too shabby for Irish. :D

:cool:

Man this portis stuff has been killen me, guy was one of my favorites I love the way he played the game, harder then 99% of the fools out there. Problem is if you are gonna play like a mad man you need to condition your body to handle it through PRACTICE.. Seeing how he obviously hates it (maybe indoor facilitys could convice him to practice :hysterical:) i got two words for ya CP.... TOBY GERHART (John Riggins Jr)

-Is there any proof that Portis has gone over the coaches' heads to Snyder to ask Snyder to overrule the coaches? Portis says he has never done that, but everyone (including you) assumes he has. What's the real story?

;);)

-The two people you talked to are hypocrites. If they really believed teammates shouldn't call out teammates, they should practice what they preach. Making their comments anonymous makes them even more cowardly than Portis. At least he is willing to take ownership of his thoughts and emotions.

This is a bunch of ****assiness as Diddy would say.

MAN UP and own your words.

-Most important, I hope the Allen/Shanahan regime eliminates all this drama and turns this group of undisciplined individuals into a unified, disciplined force. With this talent, I think we could be special.

I hope that all of these so called Team Captains (minus Fletcher and Samuels) are G-O-N-E very soon. Same with these veterans who are so called "locker room guys/leaders" who DO NOT produce jack when it's time.

You can save your fiery lil' speeches and just get the hell on right along with CP. I still love CP, but he has to go. If he remains it will undermine all these things Bruce has promised will change. WE NEED CHANGE. Just as CP isn't above the team, neither is ANYONE ELSE. CP you forever will be one of my favorite modern Redskins players. I will wish you much success wherever you go.

I was told by one of the players that Clinton Portis has already called and personally apologized to Jason Campbell. While it's kind of him to do so, it does not change my opinion or that of the guys who were willing to talk to me. Drama follows Portis. Hopefully it follows Portis out of D.C.

God dammit Portis. I'm trying to find ways to defend him but his play is no longer justifying his mouth and that's really the bottom line. He's a cancer. I loved the years he put in here but it's time to shut it down.

It was time for CP to go a loooong time ago - once he decided he was too "valuable" to practice like everyone else yet still play on Sunday. Who the heck does he also think he is by saying Campbell isn't a leader because he doesn't ever get mad or doesn't change his tempo.

Portis has let his ego get to him way too much and forgot that leaders lead by example. The reason he's never chosen to be a team captain nor does he want to be one is that he's well aware that he operates on his own agenda and does not want to be part of the general population under a set of rules.

I didn't really see anything disrespectfull in Clinton remarks seems like all he said was JC doesn't get fired up or bring any excitement which we see on sundays anyway, but hopefully if they keep Clinton he will start practicing since thats everyone's gripe against him and hopefully he'll workout this offseason in the gym and not the clubs.

What you're not understanding is it's not about whether Clinton is right or wrong about what he said in regards to Campbell's leadership, it's that he went and said that in public. That, no matter how you look at it, is not the way a teammate acts. It is not the way one who respects authority acts. It is not the way one who wants to benefit the team acts. If he had a problem with Jason's leadership skills, then he should go up to Campbell and let him know he does, then demonstrate to Campbell how it's done. Unfortunately, Portis is unwilling to do that himself because he doesn't feel the need to commit as much.

That being said, Campbell going out in public and firing back, though justified, was also not the best thing to do. He should've went up to Portis himself and let him know what he did, and then when asked about it publicly say that he made sure Portis understood what he needs to understand.

That would say much more. But I get why Campbell flipped out. Enough is enough at some point.

Um ... in the last 30 minutes I've found out my Portis story was linked by ESPN.com, and now I just got an email from the producer of SportsNation informing me that my website will be their "Site of the Day." Tune in to ESPN2 at 4 p.m. today to see the segment. Holy hell. This is nuts.

Wow, congrats murf I'm honestly so happy for you and proud that one of our own, who truly deserves it, is getting some national attention. :jump:

Burn the witch! She soured our milk and ruined our crops!

Portis isn't going to win employee of the month, but this **** storm is ridiculous. This team just finished 4-12 and who's fault is it? The guy who wasn't around for half of it. Why don't you idiot players grow some balls and point the finger at the real culprit -- Daniel Snyder -- who allowed Clinton to do the things that got you all so butthurt that you stunk up the joint.

Just shut up. Everyone.

After five years I guess I've worn down their defenses. hehehe. No, honestly, thanks to you and everyone else who have been supportive and read my stuff. If not for ES, there's no chance I'd be in a place where I've earned the players' trust enough to get this kind of stuff.

You're being humble. :)

Your work, along with few others, has made extremeskins all the much better, and has kept the likes of me satisfied enough to be able to continue to frequent this board even amidst the ridiculous negativity and silly one-liners that have almost completely taken this board over along with taking into a realm of falsehood and poisonous speculation.

Just look at this:

Actually, you're right. Everyone I asked about Campbell said they'd like him to be back next season. One of the guys said that as far as he's concerned, Campbell has most of the tools to be successful in the NFL. He said Campbell needs to improve his consistency and do a better job of stepping up in the fourth quarter, but that he possesses everything else to be the man who can lead this team. I get the feeling if Campbell was willing to sign a one-year deal, the guys would love to see what he can do under Shanahan. That being said, the guy did say if it were him though, he'd tell his agent to get him out of here after all of the nonsense that's surrounded Campbell over the last year or so.

I mean, that's just awesome stuff to know... stuff we wouldn't be able to get anywhere. While others speculate, and most will just toss what you said here aside in an attempt to continue their petty and ego maniacal agenda to destroy anything and everything that is Campbell as Redskins QB, those of us who are willing can see that while Campbell is not a franchise QB at this point, nor even a top ten one... he is also not "one of the worst QB's" in the league nor a "career backup" as so many seem to forcefully and adamantly advocate.

I mean, that's just awesome stuff to know... stuff we wouldn't be able to get anywhere. While others speculate, and most will just toss what you said here aside in an attempt to continue their petty and ego maniacal agenda to destroy anything and everything that is Campbell as Redskins QB, those of us who are willing can see that while Campbell is not a franchise QB at this point, nor even a top ten one... he is also not "one of the worst QB's" in the league nor a "career backup" as so many seem to forcefully and adamantly advocate.

You're very kind. Honestly, I don't feel like I'm doing anything special. I've been given this access long enough that I've kind of figured out what works and how to approach stuff like this. I felt like I'd officially had enough of Portis and reached out to a couple players to see if I was alone in feeling this way. Turns out, I wasn't.

Thanks again to you and everyone else who has been so supportive over the last several years. It makes putting in the long hours (on top of my real job) worth it.

Archived