Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES: Teammates tired of the Portis drama

themurf

I remember seeing Emmit Smith run for 200 yards against the Giants in the Meadowlands with a seperated shoulder. He had heart and showed his leadership skills on the field. His team mates respected him.

Clinton Portis can't even get up the heart to practice if he's nicked up. The players all see it and then they have to listen to his b.s. comments on the radio shows. Portis needs to look in the mirror and ask himself if he really wants to play in the NFL any longer. He's living off of his past accomplishments. A Hall of Famer he is not.

Brian - it sounds like you are saying that no one on this team supports CP anymore. If that is the case, then he will be gone quickly. Coach Shanahan will see to it.

Correct me if I'm wrong - in addition to the problems surrounding Dan and Vinny, it seems as if CP was a part of the deep-seeded issues as well for the last two years (maybe more).

I think this can also be laid at the feet of the coaches and Vinny for allowing this to go on. Zorn either was handcufed by management or he didn't have what it takes to stand up to Portis. Either way this should have been stopped long ago.

Though I think it was common knowledge about him not practicing, and that in and of itself is bad enough, what is being said about him leaving games early instead of supporting the team really hits home.

Hopefully the new coaching staff, and I believe this will be the case, will have the ability to take action against players without worrying about what management will think.

It's awesome that you've worked your way into the locker room. Thanks for sharing. This is stuff you can't get anywhere else.

After five years I guess I've worn down their defenses. hehehe. No, honestly, thanks to you and everyone else who have been supportive and read my stuff. If not for ES, there's no chance I'd be in a place where I've earned the players' trust enough to get this kind of stuff.

The feeling i get is that the players would rather see JC stay in DC next year, or is that just me, and if the players want him to stay then maybe he should'

Actually, you're right. Everyone I asked about Campbell said they'd like him to be back next season. One of the guys said that as far as he's concerned, Campbell has most of the tools to be successful in the NFL. He said Campbell needs to improve his consistency and do a better job of stepping up in the fourth quarter, but that he possesses everything else to be the man who can lead this team. I get the feeling if Campbell was willing to sign a one-year deal, the guys would love to see what he can do under Shanahan. That being said, the guy did say if it were him though, he'd tell his agent to get him out of here after all of the nonsense that's surrounded Campbell over the last year or so.

I think if CP gets back in shape he could be a servicable RB, not a starter. He can still block a blitzer better than any other RB on the roster. He doesn't have run away speed but he has the ability to break tackles. If he can retire his mouth and practice everyday, then maybe we should give him a chance to make the roster.

Great article Murf. I bet there are lots of the big name reporters who are more than a little jealous right now.

The thing I found most interesting was the quote about how practice after the ATL game was so much better without CP - it confirms what I suspected: regardless of rushing yardage or YPC of the guys who replaced him, the team performed better AS A TEAM after CP was sidelined. That says a lot (addition by subtraction). Thanks again.

Great read Murf... One positive side to a crappy quick-ending season... We can finally air some of the dirty landry (oops see what I did there?) and come clean on some big problems within the team.

The biggest problem is, that Portis and Snyder are one in the same. Yeah I said it, that's why they get along so well. Both once highly successful men, they have now faced adversity and failure, and don't like it...can't handle it even... Leading them to be the "Look-at-me, Look-at-me" kids on the block. Snyder does it by spending money, Portis does it with his mouth and a camera or mic. Nobody's paying attention to the redskins.... its playoff time..."Look-at-me, Look-at-me" I just signed another big named coach...

Nobody cares about football its springtime, the weather's nice, baseball season (meh), "Look-at-me, Look-at-me" i JUST SPENT 140MILLION

One thing i noticed this season. As i watched other teams play i almost always seen their players that were on ir on the sidelines. I think i may have seen CS and RT a dew times but i never seen CP. Did anyone else see him or maybe he was in a box or something? Just something i was thinking about when i seen the Bears and Urlacher was there freezing his *** off. I wish we had guys like that on our team. And he's been out since week 1. If i missed him im sorry. But i dont recall seeing him there.

Great article Murf. I bet there are lots of the big name reporters who are more than a little jealous right now.

The thing I found most interesting was the quote about how practice after the ATL game was so much better without CP - it confirms what I suspected: regardless of rushing yardage or YPC of the guys who replaced him, the team performed better AS A TEAM after CP was sidelined. That says a lot (addition by subtraction). Thanks again.

Great read Murf... One positive side to a crappy quick-ending season... We can finally air some of the dirty landry (oops see what I did there?) and come clean on some big problems within the team.

The biggest problem is, that Portis and Snyder are one in the same.

Thanks again guys. I will say this, I think that if Mike Shanahan and Bruce Allen want Portis out of here, there is no chance Daniel Snyder gets involved. Someone would leak it and you can guess how an entire fanbase would react to word that the owner kept a player that no one else in the front office wanted. Like someone else in the thread said, this is a chance for a fresh start for the entire organization.

Interesting article. I'm going to go against the grain a bit and share my thoughts:

-Jason Campbell is obviously no leader. He may be tough and courageous and hardworking and mature and kind and Lionel Richie-esque, but he is no leader.

-I don't like teammates calling out teammates in public.

-Teammates should always be with the team even if injured. If you choose not to be around, you aren't acting like a part of the team and have no authority to critique the team or your teammates.

-I think someone in the organization (Snyder? someone else Portis respects?) needs to tell Portis to stop doing his radio show, because Portis has some terrible judgment. I don't think he was trying to be malicious; he was just saying what was on his mind. Unfortunately, as most adults know, it's not a good idea simply to say whatever is on your mind to the entire world at any given time. Think before you speak.

-Is there any proof that Portis has gone over the coaches' heads to Snyder to ask Snyder to overrule the coaches? Portis says he has never done that, but everyone (including you) assumes he has. What's the real story?

-The two people you talked to are hypocrites. If they really believed teammates shouldn't call out teammates, they should practice what they preach. Making their comments anonymous makes them even more cowardly than Portis. At least he is willing to take ownership of his thoughts and emotions.

-Most important, I hope the Allen/Shanahan regime eliminates all this drama and turns this group of undisciplined individuals into a unified, disciplined force. With this talent, I think we could be special.

It's good to see the truth revealed and not Snyder just backing Portis' BS. The player quotes reveal the true reality with this team. Too bad CP is too arrogant to be open to feedback from other people. He'll always see himself as so great that he doesn't need to practice. :doh: I don't see Shanahan putting up with this nonsense. In my opinion, CP is out of here if he's not willing to start becoming a teammate, not a prima donna. He needs to practice and do all of the other things that teammates do when they work together and get ready for a game.

Great work, murf. It's one of the best pieces I've read in a long time.

Take away his comments about JC and I STILL think it's time for CP to go. He's a prima donna and his best days are behind him. It would be one thing if he put his money where is mouth is....but when CP gets the ball handed to him...it's 2 yards and a cloud of dust. LB46, RC31, MM23, and QG35 are ALL better options than "2 yards and a cloud of dust" at this point in time in my humble opinion.

-Is there any proof that Portis has gone over the coaches' heads to Snyder to ask Snyder to overrule the coaches? Portis says he has never done that, but everyone (including you) assumes he has. What's the real story?

-The two people you talked to are hypocrites. If they really believed teammates shouldn't call out teammates, they should practice what they preach. Making their comments anonymous makes them even more cowardly than Portis. At least he is willing to take ownership of his thoughts and emotions.

You know, I could have bet money that someone would come out and attack these players for speaking on the subject. I mean, it's to be expected. You're entitled to think whatever you'd like, but I will say this: these guys were only saying what the majority of the locker room feels. This team is better off without Clinton Portis. Seemingly every time there's drama, he's involved whether we're talking about Brian Mitchell, Jim Zorn, Mike Sellers, Jason Campbell or whoever. Clinton Portis is all about Clinton Portis.

These two players genuinely care about the Washington Redskins and want to see this team win. They point to teams like the Pittsburgh Steelers and can't help but notice that they don't have a ton of big-name stars. They have a team of players who consistently put aside egos and personal agendas for a common goal. They know their teammates are going to have each other's back when the game is on the line. The overwhelming opinion in the Redskins locker room is that they can't trust Portis to have their back in that situation because all he cares about is himself.

Would you rather they sat quietly while this guy continued to kill any chance this team has accomplishing something or would you rather they speak up if they honestly believe this franchise is better off without him? They're not out to make a name for themselves or draw attention to themselves. They just want this team to win football games. You can call them cowardly or whatever equally absurd idea pops into your head, but at the end of the day, they're both thinking about the team. You can't say that about Portis.

Is CP right? Most likely, yeah. Doesn't make him any less of an asshat, especially considering his lack of presence this season. I've been done with him for a while. I do wish Campbell would have commented without making it personal, but I applaud him for the spark. Just wish he showed more on-field.

I was told by one of the players that Clinton Portis has already called and personally apologized to Jason Campbell. While it's kind of him to do so, it does not change my opinion or that of the guys who were willing to talk to me. Drama follows Portis. Hopefully it follows Portis out of D.C.

I think Portis AND JC will be here next year. Maybe Portis was trying to light a fire under JC. Hopefully this just blows over if they both stay. Shanny will not allow these guys to talk and not play/produce.

Take away his comments about JC and I STILL think it's time for CP to go. He's a prima donna and his best days are behind him. It would be one thing if he put his money where is mouth is....but when CP gets the ball handed to him...it's 2 yards and a cloud of dust. LB46, RC31, MM23, and QG35 are ALL better options than "2 yards and a cloud of dust" at this point in time in my humble opinion.

I think you are overreacting about how much better options these guys are over Portis. (Rankings below are for NFC ONLY)

Rk Player Team Pos Att Att/G Yds Avg Yds/G TD Lng 1st 1st% 20+ 40+ FUM

9 Clinton Portis WAS RB 124 15.5 494 4.0 61.8 1 78 19 15.3 2 1 1

31 Quinton Ganther WAS RB 62 7.8 199 3.2 24.9 3 13 12 19.4 0 0 0

35 Ladell Betts WAS RB 56 5.6 210 3.8 21.0 2 18 7 12.5 0 0 0

43 Jason Campbell WAS QB 46 2.9 236 5.1 14.8 1 21 17 37.0 2 0 4

44 Rock Cartwright WAS RB 64 4.0 228 3.6 14.2 0 34 12 18.8 1 0 0

46 Marcus Mason WAS RB 32 3.2 127 4.0 12.7 0 20 4 12.5 1 0 0

So much for 2 yards of dust

I think you are overreacting about how much better options these guys are over Portis. (Rankings below are for NFC ONLY)

If you take out the outlier (that perfectly blocked run where Portis wasn't touched for 75 yards, and had a fullback in front of him the entire way and still couldn't score on the 78 yard run), his average is 3.35 per carry.

I thought Betts and Ganther provided more to the offense.

Archived