Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES: Teammates tired of the Portis drama

themurf

I have to agree on a player never airing their dirty laundry to the media... if they attempt to address it with the player personally and he doesn't respond, then they should take it up with the coach and let him handle it... if the coach refuses to address the issue, then it stops there...

but it's not in the club's best interest ever for a player to leap the chain of command and involve the media... look at all the successful clubs around the league and one of the things they have in common is a lack in public infighting...

I felt like I'd officially had enough of Portis and reached out to a couple players to see if I was alone in feeling this way. Turns out, I wasn't.

So you wrote this article with an agenda and bias against Portis? and why no quotes from Portis to get his side of the story? Not very objective if you ask me.

So you wrote this article with an agenda and bias against Portis? and why no quotes from Portis to get his side of the story? Not very objective if you ask me.

Believe whatever you like, man. I will simply tell you or anyone else who is apparently unfamiliar with my body of work that I have no agenda. I am a Redskins fan. If something interests me, I write about it. If something stands out to me, I write about it. If something bothers me, I write about it. The difference between my situation and that of most football fans is that I am lucky enough to have access to the players on my favorite football team. So I reached out, made a few phone calls and asked some questions.

Had the players come back and said I was crazy or completely off-base, then what you would have read would have been an article in which I stated "This is what I thought coming in. However, after talking with those involved in the situation, they tell me I'm wrong because ..."

Of course, because that's not the way it played out and because this particular piece made your favorite player look bad, clearly I have an agenda. It's better to think that than to consider the fact that the players on the team would rather go into next season with Portis, right?

ES is funny.

When Joe Gibbs was here,everybody hated coach speak from the staff and players.

Now, when anyone says anything to the media, and in this case, there's no difference in Cooley's or CP's comments, nobody likes it.

Bunch of Sybils on here..........

Not everyone my man. I loved Gibbs' coachspeak... it was like an amazing display of kind and gentle wordplay every time he took the mic. I still use some of his phrases whenever I'm complimenting someone, lol!

Believe whatever you like, man. I will simply tell you or anyone else who is apparently unfamiliar with my body of work that I have no agenda. I am a Redskins fan. If something interests me, I write about it. If something stands out to me, I write about it. If something bothers me, I write about it. The difference between my situation and that of most football fans is that I am lucky enough to have access to the players on my favorite football team. So I reached out, made a few phone calls and asked some questions.

Had the players come back and said I was crazy or completely off-base, then what you would have read would have been an article in which I stated "This is what I thought coming in. However, after talking with those involved in the situation, they tell me I'm wrong because ..."

Of course, because that's not the way it played out and because this particular piece made your favorite player look bad, clearly I have an agenda. It's better to think that than to consider the fact that the players on the team would rather go into next season with Portis, right?

Would you have really printed an article saying that you were wrong? I highly doubt that. And why not get Portis' side of the story or even finding players who may have a different perspective on Portis? Like you said, you didn't speak to everyone so how do you know the whole team feels that way about Portis. FWIW, Portis is not my favorite player.

Not everyone my man. I loved Gibbs' coachspeak... it was like an amazing display of kind and gentle wordplay every time he took the mic. I still use some of his phrases whenever I'm complimenting someone, lol!

you posted your guts out in that post... :D

Great article, Murf.

One thing I didn't like though was all the anonymous quotes. Whether these players realized it or not, they are doing exactly what they denounced Clinton for. Anonymous quotes drive me crazy because if anyone has the heart to say something then put your name to it. No can doubt this latest distraction, and I'm so happy JC went on the offensive. CP was wrong to call out JC but these anonymous players are doing the exact same thing.

:helmet:

Hey Murf,

This may be a bit out there, but could you actually argue that Coach Gibbs may have been in part responsible for Portis becoming this primadonna? During the Gibbs 2.0 era, I remember hearing about how Portis sitting out of practice seemed to be commonplace, and that Gibbs actually wanted to be sure his star player was healthy enough to play on Sundays, which kind of led to this practice of "coddling" Portis. Which may in turn have led to Portis have this attitude with Zorn that "A Hall of Fame Coach let me sit down, why should I practice if you tell me to practice?"

Let me put it to you this way: How would you feel if you and I worked at the same place of employment, but while you came to work, put in your time and did everything you could to be a productive member of the team, I was content to miss as many days of work as possible?

And how would you like it if, in the instances I did decide to show up, I sat there with my feet kicked up on the desk and stared out the window while guys like you had to pick up the slack? And, oh by the way, on the days I did come to work and did decide to actually attempt to earn my paycheck, I took turns periodically ripping my co-workers for whatever various reasons I could come up with? To top it all off, not only am I ripping my co-workers, but lets say I do it in an open forum. Lets say I just start airing your dirty laundry and talking about every little fault I can come up with in the way you do your job.

At that point, would I sound like a model employee or someone you'd want to work with?

See it from the perspective of someone who has to show up to work every day wondering what drama this guy feels like bringing with him on that particular day and then tell me how great it'd be took work with someone that selfish.

Nice way to avoiding the questions back at you! Ok so you talk to a player or two from the team, big deal. I will bet the larger portion in which you dont talk to have different feelings. Not every player is going to like one another for what ever reason. Portis makes more than most produces more than most and practices less because he produces more and takes way more punishment in the process. Im sure there are a few jealous teammates that you talk to. He has earned rest during the week based on his play on Sunday and its needed because of what has been expected of him. Not to mention RB is probably the easiest position to not practice and perform on Sunday when it COUNTS. But to answer your question that you used to differ the questions you could not answer, I can respond easily. If we worked together and our job is to develop a coffee mug every week. I come in on Monday develop a coffee mug in one day and its easy to hold and doesn't burn your hand. The boss says its perfect. While you come in on Monday develop your mug and its hot to the touch and sits unbalanced on a table, therefore you must come in tues...wed.. thurs etc to try in finish or get better at your job. So I come in the rest of the week to help you develop your mug because your talent level is far less than mine. This continues every week for the first year and the second. At some point I would get tired of it and make you develop it yourself. Then I would let the consumer and the boss know why half the mugs our company has produced are burning our consumers hands. Portis has been easily our most productive player in the last decade. If we had 10 other players with his level of talent on offense we would have easily won a handful of superbowls.

Nice way to avoiding the questions back at you! Ok so you talk to a player or two from the team, big deal. I will bet the larger portion in which you dont talk to have different feelings. Not every player is going to like one another for what ever reason. Portis makes more than most produces more than most and practices less because he produces more and takes way more punishment in the process. Im sure there are a few jealous teammates that you talk to. He has earned rest during the week based on his play on Sunday and its needed because of what has been expected of him. Not to mention RB is probably the easiest position to not practice and perform on Sunday when it COUNTS. But to answer your question that you used to differ the questions you could not answer, I can respond easily. If we worked together and our job is to develop a coffee mug every week. I come in on Monday develop a coffee mug in one day and its easy to hold and doesn't burn your hand. The boss says its perfect. While you come in on Monday develop your mug and its hot to the touch and sits unbalanced on a table, therefore you must come in tues...wed.. thurs etc to try in finish or get better at your job. So I come in the rest of the week to help you develop your mug because your talent level is far less than mine. This continues every week for the first year and the second. At some point I would get tired of it and make you develop it yourself. Then I would let the consumer and the boss know why half the mugs our company has produced are burning our consumers hands. Portis has been easily our most productive player in the last decade. If we had 10 other players with his level of talent on offense we would have easily won a handful of superbowls.

Yo man, I agree with you. Everybody wanna hate on Portis cuz he don't "practice". It didn't look like he needed the practice when he rushed for almost 1500 yds last year and was gettin over 1200 yards the past couple of years.how do we know cp don't practice? Are we there?are those players whose hating with him 24-7 when he could be workin out at home?portis has given this organization and the fans 100 percent every week for 6 years and he still get treated worse than the real problem of our offense, Candle.I want cp back next year and he could be back to form with a better o line and healed injuries.oh yeah,don't forget for all y'all that wanna cut portis,he's still one of the best blocking backs in the league.that's not easily replaceble betts cartwright and ganther fans

this whole thing wasn't a surprise to any one really.His hate of practicing is what has done him in professionaly.wether Portis was attaking Campbell or not his teammates seem to feel as though he was.but what was clear was the statements made by Shanahan and Allen towrds Portis.though vailed they said this stuff of taking private team issues into the press isn't reskins anymore and will stop.Shanny also said that older rb's needed to practice and work out to stay on top and if they didn't they would just fall of the cliff.the words out and if mr portis doesn't tow the line he will be gone.now, if alot of the team says to Allen and Shanny to get rid of him i think they will too.sad though cause i believe if Sean Taylor was still here Portis wouldn't have sunk to this level.Sean T. was the true heart and leader of this team and sense his death that position has been unfilled.this team hasn't been a team or been right sense the death of Taylor.Yes it's true,i still very much miss him.he was truely livin in the moment,and in this day and age thats soo rare.he had the physical tools and the talent and the desire.all he had lacked was the humility to admit he didn't know it all and study to become a sudent of the game.And before the end he did just that and was on his way to redefineing the safety position forever.to me he will forever be the best safety of all time.Ed Reed and some other are awesome and no disrespect was intended but the fact remains that he had unprecedented size,speed and strength and a natural ability to bring thunder into a man's life when tackling someone.as we know not many have that.well i could go on forever people about Sean "The Hit Man " Taylor.

I'd like to see a comparison of other starting running backs and if they practice or not. I recall Tomlinson not wanting to play in preseason games, but I'm not sure about practice.

Personally, I feel like CP is always in the spotlight for all the wrong reasons. For being candid about things that are happening with the team, and his idiotic remarks when discussing Vick or Tiger.

After Shanny's press conference, I believe this type of stuff won't be tolerated anymore. If you think about it, the guys that Murf interviewed are just as wrong, they should be keeping this to themselves as well, very hypocritical IMO.

Hey Murf,

This may be a bit out there, but could you actually argue that Coach Gibbs may have been in part responsible for Portis becoming this primadonna? During the Gibbs 2.0 era, I remember hearing about how Portis sitting out of practice seemed to be commonplace, and that Gibbs actually wanted to be sure his star player was healthy enough to play on Sundays, which kind of led to this practice of "coddling" Portis. Which may in turn have led to Portis have this attitude with Zorn that "A Hall of Fame Coach let me sit down, why should I practice if you tell me to practice?"

You're 100 percent correct in placing some of the blame on Gibbs. He let his stars - guys like Portis and Taylor - play by different rules than the rest of the team. He figured it worked when Riggins was the running back, so it could work with Clinton too. The problem though, is Portis got comfortable. He got complacent. He stopped working as hard as he could, and it shows both on the field and in his stats.

And honestly, if Snyder saw his idol - the great Joe Gibbs - giving Portis special treatment, then why wouldn't he do the same? It makes sense when you think about it. That would completely explain why the owner and the star running back have an abnormal relationship.

Nice way to avoiding the questions back at you! Ok so you talk to a player or two from the team, big deal. I will bet the larger portion in which you dont talk to have different feelings.

I'm talking to people involved in the situation. You're making up assumptions in your head. Like I've said to a handful of others in this thread - believe whatever helps you sleep at night. You're not going to hurt my feelings at all.

Murf, dude, we get it. You get access us nobody’s don’t. That’s great and you’re special, “rubbing” it in our faces is not exactly the proper way to handle the situation.

The people who are against you and your anonymous redskins players’ view on Portis have a very valid, and legit argument. One, that, you brush aside as something that lacks any validity because they don’t have the same redskins sources that you are privy to.

BKSkinsFan, in Post #170, pretty much nailed it in the head. Joe Gibbs may have given guys like Portis more leeway - and for good reason; because every sunday, when the actual football games were played, Portis would give it his all.

He made some huge sacrifices for this team. Sacrifices that other players’ possible sacrifices pale in comparison. His style of play was totally different in Denver. He came in to the league as a smaller, "slasher" back that would take less carries and play in a system that utilized his strengths - speed, quickness, etc. - and he excelled in that system (1500 yards 15TDs and a 5.5ypc as a rookie and 2nd year player = pretty damn good).

The guy gets traded here, and Gibbs has him totally change his style of play, and become a between-the-tackles, bruising type RB. What did he do? He adapted. He changed his whole game, not for the sake of Clinton Portis, but for the Washington Redskins and Joe Gibbs.

He gained weight, ran hard between the tackles, and lead the team to the playoffs. And because of his sacrifice, his body (which was not meant for Gibbs’ system) took a major beating.

Even after all that, he still was 5th place ALL-TIME for RBs in terms of total YPG (at least as of last year). But he gets ZERO credit or appreciation from the fans for any of this.

He also speaks to JT and is the ONLY player that I can recall go on the record and talk about their disappointing season and shortcomings.

Now, is that necessarily a good thing? No. But at least he is man enough to say what he has to say without going “anonymous.” We’ve had many occurences of players going “anonymous” and totally trashing not just a single player, but the entire team. Starting from that Tom Friend article a few years back, to Jason LaCanBeAnAhole’s many articles/blog entries citing “anonymous sources.”

So once again, the same issue is brought up. Portis speaks out and says THE OBVIOUS using his name, not cowhering by going “anonymous.”

Since he is the only one to be willing to take the public criticism for all of the Redskins’ shortcomings, he gets bashed on constantly. All the while, other articles (such as yours) come out using, not surprisingly, more anonymous sources.

A lot of RB’s and star players in general, get “special treatment.” The coaches know their importance to the team, and as for RBs, they realize that it would benefit the team greatly if they had a healthier, and less beat-up RB running the ball.

Watch CP play. The guy really does give his everything on every snap. He picks up blitzers like NO other RB I’ve seen in the NFL. You can always see him blocking downfield as well, taking on not just DBs, and LBs, but Defensive Tackles (i.e. Dolphins game a few years back).

Guys like Mike Sellers, Casey Rabach, other OL are the ones people should have issues with. On almost every run of his, Portis has had to break a tackle or make a guy miss just to reach the LOS. Sellers got his big payday this past offseason and went on to have a horrible year, missing blocks even when the defender was right in front of him.

What he said about Campbell is what everyone on this board already knows and has been saying for the entire year, some even longer. And as for CP’s lack of production this past year, our run-blocking was so bad that even our 2nd string RB was lost for the season. It also doesn’t help that your QB for whatever reason, is reluctant to throw the ball over 10 yards.

People hate on Portis now, but when next year comes along, and he is back to playing at his usual high-level (whether it be on this team or not), and pretty much whenever the time comes that Portis is no longer on the Redskins’ roser, fans will soon realize just how much we undervalued him and what he brought to the team.

Based on CP's movements running the ball in Denver and running the ball here... he looks like he's gotten older, slower, heavier, and stiffer...

I think he should spend the next 3 months doing P90X and hot yoga... get leaner, more limber, and quicker, and try some karate for extra flexibilty.

Archived