Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES: Teammates tired of the Portis drama

themurf

You know, I could have bet money that someone would come out and attack these players for speaking on the subject. I mean, it's to be expected.

The defensiveness and hyperbole are unnecessary. My statement was clear (you even quoted it): "The two people you talked to are hypocrites. If they really believed teammates shouldn't call out teammates, they should practice what they preach." I never attacked anyone; I merely note the hypocrisy, which speaks for itself. And, as I suggested in my post, if you are going to confront someone publicly, be man enough to stand behind it. Two important lessons I've learned in life: Anonymous critics are never leaders, and anonymous criticism allows liars to do great harm. Regardless of the truth of any anonymous statement, the unreliability of anonymous sourcing is the problem, and that's a fact. In fact, it's why the Constitution of the United States provides defendants a right to confront their accusers.

You're entitled to think whatever you'd like, but I will say this: these guys were only saying what the majority of the locker room feels.

Then be man enough to come together, take Clinton Portis aside (in private), and tell him that his antics are unacceptable and that he is alienating himself from his teammates. Or--if you can't do that--at least be man enough to assert your leadership publicly and take a stand for accountability and a new way of business. The reason this team lacks leadership is that no one is willing to take a real stand; anonymous criticism merely reinforces that culture.

The overwhelming opinion in the Redskins locker room is that they can't trust Portis to have their back in that situation because all he cares about is himself.

See, when you speak your hyperbole about me, how can I trust that "overwhelming" isn't hyperbole? I saw two anonymous sources in your article. "Overwhelming" is around 30-40 of 53. Please confirm that you have spoken to more than 30 players who all believe that Clinton Portis would not have their back when the game is on the line. (That seems inconsistent with what I've seen in Clinton Portis's game performances since he came to Washington.) If not, what did you really mean to say?

Would you rather they sat quietly while this guy continued to kill any chance this team has accomplishing something or would you rather they speak up if they honestly believe this franchise is better off without him?

Again with the hyperbole, and now with the inconsistency. So certain anonymous players (that provide you quotes?) are allowed to criticize other players publicly if they deem it important enough, but certain other players are not allowed to criticize publicly even if they deem it important? I guess I need to get this elusive list of players who are allowed to criticize publicly (and anonymously). I wonder who makes that list?

You can't say that about Portis.

Perhaps in Portis's mind he believes this franchise will never go anywhere with Jason Campbell at the helm. I'm not saying he's right about that--and I have already said his method of criticism was inappropriate--but to state as a fact that Portis doesn't care about the team is just more unsupported hyperbole.

I'm not saying Portis should stick around, but to pretend that Portis has never supported his teammates or never cared about the Redskins or never given 100% on the field is ridiculous.

Also, did you have an answer to this question: Is there any proof that Portis has gone over the coaches' heads to Snyder to ask Snyder to overrule the coaches? Portis says he has never done that, but everyone (including you) assumes he has. What's the real story? I'm genuinely curious, because I think that type of behavior is totally inappropriate.

I'm not saying Portis should stick around, but to pretend that Portis has never supported his teammates or never cared about the Redskins or never given 100% on the field is ridiculous.

You must not be talking about the practice field then?

What kind of example does that set for incoming rookies when they see Mr. Prime Time take the week off of practice, start in a game, do nothing spectacular IN the game, and then repeat. Talk about a slap in the face.

Plenty of RB's in the league could've had Clinton's stats getting all the carries he did each year. Portis openly complained when he wasn't getting 30 carries (or maybe 25?), yet his YPC is far from great. He ain't no Adrian Peterson and never was.

You must not be talking about the practice field then?

I agree, which is why I specifically responded to the claim about having players' backs IN GAMES. :)

I am no CP defender. He should practice, he should respect coaches' authority, he should be around his team even if on IR, he should keep his mouth shut, etc. And if Shanahan/Allen think he's bad for the team, they should get rid of him asap. I think I've said all that above.

The defensiveness and hyperbole are unnecessary.

See, when you speak your hyperbole about me, how can I trust that "overwhelming" isn't hyperbole?

Again with the hyperbole, and now with the inconsistency.

Awww ... how cute. Look who is using the "word of the day" calendar their mommy bought them for Christmas.

Like I said, you're free to believe whatever you'd like. Personally, I'll go with guys who are actually involved as opposed to you spouting personal opinions from afar.

It’s almost like Clinton Portis can’t help himself. He sees Washington Wizards guard Gilbert Arenas or his former coach Mike Shanahan stealing all of the local headlines and can’t help but try to stir up drama to get some attention back on him.

Indeed.

In any walk of life, your just about to get a new boss. Its not rocket science, keep your mouth shut, keep your head down & let things bed in nicely for a day ot two.

Only an idiot,or an attention seeker, or both, would do otherwise. IMO.

Originally Posted by themurf viewpost.gif

Um ... in the last 30 minutes I've found out my Portis story was linked by ESPN.com, and now I just got an email from the producer of SportsNation informing me that my website will be their "Site of the Day." Tune in to ESPN2 at 4 p.m. today to see the segment. Holy hell. This is nuts.

No it's not..........you deserve it Murf........:thumbsup:

Let's talk about work ethics........JC has work ethics; where did Portis' go?

I know at one time, Portis prided himself on how "fit" he was, how he could run, tackle, block, pound the ball through the hole......what happened? Where did Portis go? When did this elite running back start putting down his fellow players- intentional or not intentional? Portis even commented a couple years ago on how Jason stayed over during break between training camp and pre season to study a 500 page play book; and, Jason did do just that.

What happened Portis? Why did you place your Quarterback into such an unsavory broth to boil? Unfortunately and through no fault of his own, Jason boiled you Portis.........

Awww ... how cute. Look who is using the "word of the day" calendar their mommy bought them for Christmas.

I figured the irony would go over your head. :hysterical:

More defensiveness and hyperbole, now with a splash of arrogance and an ad hominem attack. Keep building that credibility. :hysterical:

Like I said, you're free to believe whatever you'd like. Personally, I'll go with guys who are actually involved as opposed to you spouting personal opinions from afar.

He actually brought up some interesting points and wanted to discuss them in (what appears to be) a rational (and intellectual) manner and this is your response? Pretty weak. It makes it look like you have an agenda (whether you do or not).

They all agree he's got talent, but say the team is probably better off without him. And some of them even admitted to me it's a conversation that's happened in the locker room before. If you're not even showing up at Redskins Park to practices or meetings or whatever, then they're all of the mindset that you certaintly shouldn't be running your mouth about ANYONE who is there day in and day out.

TRUE. To the same extent, if you're not producing at a high level know matter how much you show up to practice or how "nice" of a guy you are or great locker room presence...then you need to be gone as well. This isn't college...a couple of great players can't make up for inconsistent play from the rest of the guys. That being said...goodbye Portis, Betts, Randle El, Doughty, Randy Thomas, Heyer, Wynn, Sellers, and many many more. Campbell SHOULD BE GONE AS WELL, but will be here again this year most likely...but only cuz Shanny won't wanna start a Rookie first year in. You may not agree with some of the guys on the list I made, but they're either overachievers no longer overachieving like Betts and Doughty, or they've begun the downward spiral into underachivement phase that usually curtails a players' career.

On a side note...great job Brian on the article and congrats on it being featured.

Actually, you're right. Everyone I asked about Campbell said they'd like him to be back next season. One of the guys said that as far as he's concerned, Campbell has most of the tools to be successful in the NFL. He said Campbell needs to improve his consistency and do a better job of stepping up in the fourth quarter, but that he possesses everything else to be the man who can lead this team. I get the feeling if Campbell was willing to sign a one-year deal, the guys would love to see what he can do under Shanahan. That being said, the guy did say if it were him though, he'd tell his agent to get him out of here after all of the nonsense that's surrounded Campbell over the last year or so.

The one thing he didn't mention, you're "insider", is what every fan sees week in and week out from Campbell...he doesn't have the "head" to be a very productive and successful starting QB in the NFL...which is why he'll always be in the middle tier of QB's. Not horrible, but not that great either.

He has since day one and will continue to take too much time to run through his progressions and read a defense prior to the snap. He has ALL of the physical tools, but it's his head that keeps getting in the way. Sometimes he tries to anticipate "what he should be doing" and not reacting to the situation and then do what it is that needs to be done...so he'll throw a pass too early, or way too late because it took a little longer for his head to get there.

Like it or not people, until Campbell can speed up his mind to NFL Starting QB level...he will always be a college kid playing in a professional league.

First of all... way to go Murf!

Secondly, it should be quite clear who is more valuable to this team right now. If the season started tomorrow and I had to choose between Jason Campbell and Clinton Portis, it wouldn't even be close.

Either way you better be on your knees praying cuz one gave up and the other has given all he can and it's still not enough.

Interesting that everyone wants Portis gone from the Redskins.

You guys realize who our HC is? The same guy that drafted Portis originally. The same guy who was never able to replace CP once he traded him.

5.5ypc and 15tds in his two seasons under Shanahan. And now, when we finally have the chance to see CP play in the system in which he excelled in, people are hating on him for speaking the truth.

Campbell has All the physical tools, yet Kyle 'friggin' Orton had more trade value than he did...and that was BEFORE this season.

I don't know how Shanny feels about Portis being on the team, and that is ultimately going to determine whether CP is a redskin next year. But I find it hard to believe that he would release a RB in which he had great success with.

BTW, I have a strong suspicion the teammate who spoke out against Portis was Sellers, who absolutely sucked this year (right after getting his big payday...what a coincidence). If not him, than Rabach, the one guy you can always count on...count on getting a penalty at the most crucial times of a game.

You're very kind. Honestly, I don't feel like I'm doing anything special. I've been given this access long enough that I've kind of figured out what works and how to approach stuff like this. I felt like I'd officially had enough of Portis and reached out to a couple players to see if I was alone in feeling this way. Turns out, I wasn't.

Thanks again to you and everyone else who has been so supportive over the last several years. It makes putting in the long hours (on top of my real job) worth it.

You are doing something special, unfortunately. I say "unfortunately" because these days having integrity and being honest, especially in the realm of journalism, IS special. It takes longer for it to pay off, of course, but the reward is far greater as you can testify to. :)

Everyone is in an uproar over comments that have been spun into a Portis is "bad mouthing another Redskins player" or "throwing a teammate under the bus" response but the truth is that he is speaking the truth when asked. He has never kept his mouth shut or shied away from the truth but when Brian Mitchell or any other person does it then it is just plain ok.

Everyone on here knows the O-Line just plain s##ked this year and that is the truth. But when Portis calls them out he isn't a team player. Mike Sellers missed a lot of assignments and when he was called out Portis again was looked upon as a non-team player. The problem with Portis is he is too brutally honest and free with his comments. He needs to stop calling his teammates out and lead by example. I see his frustration with poor blocking by his O-Line and his FB Mike Sellers but he needs to be more professional if he wants to stay a Redskin. If he stays he will be more porductive, in better shape, practice everyday and be less vocal because he will want to prove himself to everyone from Shanahan, his teammates and the fans. Don't be surprised if he is still here next year.

Everyone is in an uproar over comments that have been spun into a Portis is "bad mouthing another Redskins player" or "throwing a teammate under the bus" response but the truth is that he is speaking the truth when asked. He has never kept his mouth shut or shied away from the truth but when Brian Mitchell or any other person does it then it is just plain ok.

Everyone on here knows the O-Line just plain s##ked this year and that is the truth. But when Portis calls them out he isn't a team player. Mike Sellers missed a lot of assignments and when he was called out Portis again was looked upon as a non-team player. The problem with Portis is he is too brutally honest and free with his comments. He needs to stop calling his teammates out and lead by example. I see his frustration with poor blocking by his O-Line and his FB Mike Sellers but he needs to be more professional if he wants to stay a Redskin. If he stays he will be more porductive, in better shape, practice everyday and be less vocal because he will want to prove himself to everyone from Shanahan, his teammates and the fans. Don't be surprised if he is still here next year.

I miss Champ Bailey!

Hate to break it to you, but these guys heard the radio interview. Their point is, every time Portis doesn't feel loved, he runs his mouth about someone. They're tired of it and they're tired of him.

Wanna try again?

I will believe it when they have the balls to say who they are. if you arent man enough to stand behind your words then shut your mouth and know your role. Nothing is more cowardly than someone who badmouths a teammate "anonymously" I would bet money that they guys mouthing off are not real players anyway.

and shame on you for perpetuating it. bottom line I just read the transcript and its making mountains out of molehills.

I read your blog Murf and usually I agree with you but what you are doing here is flat our wrong. Hyperbole is the correct usage here when you make bombastic statements like " the whole team" when you said previously you spoke to 2 players. and like I said if those players arent men enough to stand behind their words then I dont wnat to hear their opinions anyway. and you getting on espn is because this is controversy, and we all know the dipsticks love that.

Archived