Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Sports teams that scared the piss out of White America

Lombardi's_kid_brother

A billion people sure, but the percentage that care about basketball is tiny.

I'm only saying that genetics are greatly overstated. Lebron and some other folks mentioned are genetic freaks, they are not representative of average African Americans or even NBA players. Plenty of NBA players don't make their living above the rim.

Absolutely. But most of the ones that do are of African descent.

So to the extent that you have room on your team for a guy primarily to shoot from way downtown, you might end up with a Mark Price or you might end up with Reggie Miller. Fine.

And to the exent that you have room on your time for a big guy who just bangs in the middle, you might end up with a Bill Laimbeer or you might end up with Wes Unseld.

But when you are filling that spot for the greyhound who runs the court and plays above the rim - see who you get. 98 percent of the time it will be someone of African descent.

Utterly reverse racist title...

Care to define 'white America'

Read the thread. He has defined it in about 20 separate posts. Everyone here understands what he is getting at, and we have had a good discussion.

It's not reverse racism to discuss this issue unless your reverse racism radar is tuned way, way, way too high.

Re: the "African Americans" are better athletes, I've heard a lot of different theories.

From the "African American hips are positioned with a slightly downward slope giving them increased butt muscles (incidentally adding to the endowed myth), I believe this was a G. Gordon Liddy claim, to a socio-economic claim that Caucasians have more options and do not need sports as much as minorities to others theories.

And I think that if you took an Elite NBA player and put them in another sport at age 10 and made that sport their passion' date=' you might get something remarkable.

If Lebron James had focussed on nothing but football and then sport four years at Ohio State, he might have ended up the greatest tight end in human history.

What if Allen Iverson had played nothing but soccer from age 8 and got into some sort of Junior Olympic training?

[/quote']

Sidenote: Did you know that many considered Allan Iverson a better high school quarterback than a basketball player? He was Michael Vick before Michael Vick in the Tidewater area, and was considered a better QB than Aaron Brooks, a contemporary QB in Tidewater area football who went on to a decent NFL career. Iverson played DB also. As a safety, he had 7 interceptions.

In one game.

He is still widely regarded as the best two sport athlete to come out of Tidewater.

My point is that the opportunity to practice, and the desire to do so is what makes the difference given a basic level of athleticism. Michael Jordan reputedly was nothing special in his youth. At what point did his genetics change? Was it the thousands of hours of practice that re-engineered his DNA?

:silly:

Jordan was 6'7. If he was only 6' (which is still above the average of 5'10 for American males) nobody would know who he was.

Some are going to counter with "What about Spud Webb/Mugsy Boges". My understanding was that while those players may have been harder to defend, they couldn't defend anyone themselves thus their net contribution could never be that much. People figured this out and I don't think anyone under about 6'2 has lasted in the NBA for long since. The best anyone could give me is Trevor Kidd who is *only* 6'3 (still quite tall).

I'd say some of it is socio-economic.. there's a lot more basketball hoops in urban areas then there are hockey rinks. Also in those areas there's more threats to young kids then there are in some nice suburbs or out in the country. Sports is a refuge for many kids, and I'm sure a great many parents encourage and push their children into those activities in school to try and give them a shield from the dangers.

We hear all the time the stories of the football player or NBA player who credits their parents and coaches for helping them stay off the streets and away from the dangers of their surroundings. And the stories come from the superstars on down to the last guys on the roster.

Every high school has a basketball court, but not necessarily a tennis court. Most have a football field, but not many have a swimming pool.

~Bang

You hit the nail on the head. I think its primarily cultural. The MLB has seen a significant decline in black players (American black players - not "blactinos" from Latin American countries) You see something similiar in hockey, tennis, golf, soccer, etc.

Look at the World's Strongest Man competition. How many black athletes there?

I knew this one (white) guy that went to my HS that had an NFL pedigree. He got a athletic scholarship to a D1 FBS school. But he also got an academic scholarship to the same school. He took the academic scholarship, probably because he knew his chances of making a career in the NFL were slim. I knew another (white) guy that quit college football after his freshman year because it was compromising his academics too much and he was backing up a guy that he thought he was never going to beat out. Though i don't think he had a much of shot at the NFL anyway. I knew lots of white guys who seem to have a good athletic pedigree who never thought of coming out for the team.

The best athletes in any society always come from the opressed classes. Some grow up playing sports because they want to. Others play because they have to.

(Show me a football player named Charles Wellington IV.)

It would be equally silly to claim that Black people don't make good astronauts.

My point is that the opportunity to practice, and the desire to do so is what makes the difference given a basic level of athleticism. Michael Jordan reputedly was nothing special in his youth. At what point did his genetics change? Was it the thousands of hours of practice that re-engineered his DNA?

:silly:

Who know, that whole "Jordan got cut from his high school team" might be the most annoying sports myth ever. He didn't make varsity as a Freshmen. By the time he was a senior, he was one of the best players in the country. By the time he was a sophomore in college, he was THE best player in the country.

My guess is that Michael Jordan was really good at basketball as a 14-year old and progressively got better after that as he grew into his body.

The best athletes in any society always come from the opressed classes. Some grow up playing sports because they want to. Others play because they have to.

(Show me a football player named Charles Wellington IV.)

It would be equally silly to claim that Black people don't make good astronauts.

Neil DeGrasse Tyson, because of his name, decided that astrophysics was a better career path than being a psychopathic line backer in the NFL (or small forward in the NBA), even though obviously he had all the genetic advantages he needed over your average whitey.

And with that, I'm bored with the genetics discussion.

Let's get back to Georgetown for a second, because it's currently representing a new phenomenon. I'm a Princeton grad, and that means I worship at the alter of Pete Carril.

For years, there was this belief that the "Princeton Offense" was some kind of weird voodoo that only slow-footed by "smart" white guys could execute as a means of embarrassing far more athletic teams in the NCAA tourney.

I remember when we beat UCLA, the school paper got these random letters from across the country saying how wonderful it was to see basketball played "the right way." And, in my hypersensitivity, I read "right way" as "white way." One of our players pointed out at the time that if Kansas ran the offense, they would be next to unstoppable, but most reporters seemed to laugh at the notion that any school or team with "athletes" could get them to buy into this boring 1950s style of play.

Now, it's one of the more dominant offenses in the country at both the college and pro level. Sacramento ran it for years. New Jersey had their only success since the ABA days running it. The Wizards run a version of it.

And JT III installed it at Georgetown, got to the Final Four, and made Jeff Green a #1 pick in the process. It's apparently not too complicated for simple-minded "athletes" to run.

The irony of all this: Princeton now stinks at Basketball. We apparently had the secret formula for 30 years and no one wanted it. Finally, someone took it...and now we lost all our power.

I'm not happy about this.

Sidenote: Did you know that many considered Allan Iverson a better high school quarterback than a basketball player? He was Michael Vick before Michael Vick in the Tidewater area, and was considered a better QB than Aaron Brooks, a contemporary QB in Tidewater area football who went on to a decent NFL career. Iverson played DB also. As a safety, he had 7 interceptions.

In one game.

He is still widely regarded as the best two sport athlete to come out of Tidewater.

AI (bubbachuck) was the man in the Peninsula. He brought Bethel High to the championship game as the QB. Before then, he used to light it up at the Boo Williams tourneys (I think he dropped 70 in a game).

When it came to basketball in the Hampton Roads area around that time, its was all about AI and Tony Rutland.

Read the thread. He has defined it in about 20 separate posts. Everyone here understands what he is getting at, and we have had a good discussion.

It's not reverse racism to discuss this issue unless your reverse racism radar is tuned way, way, way too high.

I was sure it had been discussed, but couldn't spend time to read thru. But, it needs to be addressed. I certtainly dont want ot hijack an otherwise good thread.

However, in a country that elects an African American president and some rhetoric is 'all that proves is we're moving in the right direction, but this is a racist country'. I wont tolerate reverse racism. I wont accept the smidgen of an idea that there even exists a 'white America'.

I'm sorry. I grew up without ever exhibiting a racist overtone in my life. So, when I get stereo-typed or included in a blanket staement, it is unfair. Especially since racism gets thrown on me unjustly already.

What's good for the goose. I wont take it and it goes the other way too. The statement is unacceptable.

I won't sit back and listen to how racism is so alive and well against African Americans, and tolerate statements that blanket a so-called entire race.

I'm no wacko extremist, I'm sure the thread starter is not racist,I understood what he/she meant before even clicking.

Regardless, we're gonna bury racism, so as been true for many years now-> any sniff of racism is racism.

It's a black and white matter ( ;) )

I'm sorry. I grew up without ever exhibiting a racist overtone in my life.

Granted, I don't know you. But I assume you are not Jesus Christ. So, I doubt this statement.

What's good for the goose. I wont take it and it goes the other way too. The statement is unacceptable.

This is an awful lot of passion exhibited towards a rather benign concept. Shouldn't you be protesting outside Martin Mull's house or something?

It's good to know that racism no longer exists. Thanks for the insight.

Regardless, we're gonna bury racism, so as been true for many years now.

So, is racism over or is it about to be over? Do you have a PowerPoint possibly that lays out the details in a clearer fashion?

Well, being 'racist' is pretty much cut and dry. Either you are or you aren't. You view people based on the color of their skin, culture, nationality, etc. I don't do this. Not really 'saintly' or 'Almighty'. Really not difficut at all for me. But maybe your view on the ability to do this speaks for itself.

Not much passion at all. You made a blanket statement the includes- not a race- but millions of people based on skin color. It, IMO, deserved to be recognized as over the top. Just commenting on what I believe.

Well, in the words of our President, in attempting to snuffout racism for the large part

YES WE CAN.

no power point needed.

Good luck with it all

PS

having read half the thread it didnt seem at all to define white america,nor was it that interesting. Further I still dont seem to 'get' the whole concept. But, whatever, enjoy.

The concept was which teams of the past have made whites in America nervous by forcing them to reckon with majority black teams coached by black coaches kicking their ass and dominating. A rite of passage type thing.

I've disagreed in some cases but overall I get the idea.

~Bang

Did anyone watch the 30 for 30 special on the U last night?

I think that did a pretty amazing job in explaining what I'm talking about.

A team filled with black kids from Miami who beat the hell out of everyone while trash-talking Notre Dame and hanging out with the most notorious rapper of his day. Really, does anything symbolize the concept behind this thread better than a "Catholics vs. Convicts" t-shirt?

I liked the line that Randy Shannon was not the first black coach at Miami - Jimmy Johnson was.

In one game.

I'd disagree to say that Ronald Curry's HS career>>>>>>>AI's.

He went 51-2 at Hampton High and led them to 3 straight State Championships playing QB, S, P, KR. In basketball, he led them to a State Championship his junior year, and was named McDonald's Player of the Year his senior year.

Iverson getting in trouble his senior year hurt him.

Did anyone watch the 30 for 30 special on the U last night?

I think that did a pretty amazing job in explaining what I'm talking about.

A team filled with black kids from Miami who beat the hell out of everyone while trash-talking Notre Dame and hanging out with the most notorious rapper of his day. Really' date=' does anything symbolize the concept behind this thread better than a "Catholics vs. Convicts" t-shirt?

I liked the line that Randy Shannon was not the first black coach at Miami - Jimmy Johnson was.[/quote']

I can say without hyperbole that "The U" by Billy Corben was one of the best movies of this decade. I only rank it behind the Tyson documentary.

Archived