Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Sports teams that scared the piss out of White America

Lombardi's_kid_brother

I could not be more giddy about the documentary on Miami University this weekend on ESPN - and I would not be sad if Miami University's water supply became infested with polio.

Thinking of this documentary along with the brilliant HBO documentary on the Villanova-Georgetown game had me wondering, "What other teams in college or the pros scared the ever-living **** out of people in Iowa."

I grew up a Penn State fan so the 1986 Fiesta Bowl is one of the high points of my sports fandom. As a 12-year-old, it seemed like a perfect vindication that my small-town, blue-collar world I was raised in still mattered. "See...if you were combat fatigues to a K of C banquet, the nice guys in ugly sports coats will win in the end." Or something.

As I grew older and become slightly more radicalized, I realized just how utterly infused with race and racial fear that game was.

Still, the U of the late 80s probably can't hold a candle to Georgetown of the early 80s because Jimmy Johnson was a goofy southern boy and White America will always trust the good ole southern coach to keep his darkies in line...at least a little bit. Georgetown had John Thompson. And let me tell you. White people in Pennsylvania and West Virginia in 1983 thought John Thompson was the most dangerous man in the world. People were convinced that he recruited from cannibal tribes in Africa.

So....what teams do you think scared the piss out of White People the most?

My thoughts:

1. Georgetown Hoyas circa 1982

2. Miami Hurricanes circa 1987

3. The Detroit Pistons circa 1988

4. Oklahoma Sooners football circa 1985

5. Oakland Raiders circa 1976

6. Michigan Wolverines basketball circa 1993

7. Arkansas Razorbacks basketball circa 1994

8. Philadelphia Eagles circa 1988

As a representative caucazoid with no bladder issues i find this trolling to be self evident.

My alltime favorite game was the Superbowl i watched in Sinop Turkey where we came back from 10-0 and scored 5 touchdowns in the 2nd quarter to win a SuperBowl.

202 yds for the shocker of a RB that set the record

and a pretty good QB also...

didn't seem to bother me at all.. I remember being elated at 2am Est. watching it unfold on a Peninsula in the black sea.

Don Haskin's 1966 Texas Western team.

That team is historically important, but I don't know if it "scared" anyone.

There is a difference to me between majority black teams succeeding. And majority black teams succeeding while making some kind of political statement. Even if the players themselves are not political.

Lew Alcindor when he played for John Wooden was not "scary." Kareem Abdul Jabar was "scary."

The best current individual example of this is Allen Iverson. Everyone has a strong opinion on Allen Iverson. And a lot of those opinions have very little to do with whether he is a good basketball player or not.

"and I would not be sad if Miami University's water supply became infested with polio."

this statement doesn't have anything to do with "talking about race". this statement is reflective of you having issues

I don't like rich douchebags from New Jersey who go to college in order to slip roophies to girls on South Beach.

Part of what makes Georgetown and Miami so remarkable in a racial discussion is that Georgetown and Miami are super-white private schools.

I grew up with kids who thought Georgetown was a historically black college because of John Thompson.

This is a seriously stupid premise.

I don't think any of them "scared" anyone.

Really, John Thompson recruited from cannibal tribes? He had a thug player or two, but overall, I don't have a clue where this is coming from. It's not like other NCAA teams like Houston with the Twin Towers of Olajuwon and Sampson didn't come ahead of them. Why would white people not "fear" them? Hakim is big AND he's a real African. If Whites were such the nervous nelly types you're trying to protray us as, how is it those guys became so popular nationwide? Really, the 83 (82?) title game between NC State and Houston was a big deal BEFORE the amazing game winner at the buzzer. Houston was on something like a 25 game win streak, with two 7+ footers and Clyde Drexler. NCAA basketball really got a boost from the popularity of that team.

John Thompson's teams were also at the forefront of the explosion in popularity of the NCAA tournament, which is now the largest sports event in America.

I sincerely doubt anyone was afraid of the Miami Hurricanes except their opponents, and I can guarantee you no one needed Jimmy Johnson to "keep his darkies in line" so they could enjoy the game without fear.

Michigan Wolverines basketball changed the entire fashion of men's shorts from short and tight to long and loose, and it's been that way ever since. Not even the most scared white guy would be caught dead walking around in some Larry Bird nut-huggers ever again.

The Detroit Pistons most violent and scary player was the big white Bill Lambier, who would think nothing of elbowing anyone's teeth down their throat.

Bottom line: Sports is possibly the ONE thing in this country in which race does not matter. People of all colors, creeds, nationalities and any other divide we can come up with can come together over their favorite team and cheer the players no matter what color they are.

I can guarantee you anyone who does NOT feel that way is either

A/ not a sports fan at all,

or B/ one of those extreme racists that every group has who will not see beyond it no matter what.

~Bang

One more - the Michigan Fab 5 and their baggy ass shorts.

;)

They are on the list.

I was in high school when they first came on the scene. Our basketball coach spent an entire practice screaming at the team about the length of shorts. I believe he cited God, John Wooden, and George Washington as men who supported nut-hugger shorts.

This is a seriously stupid premise.

I don't think any of them "scared" anyone.

Really, John Thompson recruited from cannibal tribes? He had a thug player or two, but overall, I don't have a clue where this is coming from. It's not like other NCAA teams like Houston with the Twin Towers of Olajuwon and Sampson didn't come ahead of them. Why would white people not "fear" them? Hakim is big AND he's a real African. If Whites were such the nervous nelly types you're trying to protray us as, how is it those guys became so popular nationwide?

John Thompson's teams were at the forefront of the explosion in popularity of the NCAA tournament, which is now the largest sports event in America.

I sincerely doubt anyone was afraid of the Miami Hurricanes except their opponents, and I can guarantee you no one needed Jimmy Johnson to "keep his darkies in line" so they could enjoy the game without fear.

Michigan Wolverines basketball changed the entire fashion of men's shorts from short and tight to long and loose.

The Detroit Pistons most violent and scary player was the big white Bill Lambier, who would think nothing of elbowing anyone's teeth down their throat.

Bottom line: Sports is possibly the ONE thing in this country in which race does not matter. People of all colors, creeds, nationalities and any other divide we can come up with can come together over their favorite team and cheer the players no matter what color they are.

I can guarantee you anyone who does NOT feel that way is either

A/ not a sports fan at all,

or B/ one of those extreme racists that every group has who will not see beyond it no matter what.

~Bang

Great post, couldnt agree more.

I don't like rich douchebags from New Jersey who go to college in order to slip roophies to girls on South Beach.

Part of what makes Georgetown and Miami so remarkable in a racial discussion is that Georgetown and Miami are super-white private schools.

I grew up with kids who thought Georgetown was a historically black college because of John Thompson.

I'm sure there are an adequate number of people in any area that you can feel free to dislike but to express the desire that any one group of people be stricken with a type of disease, again, speaks volumes about....you.

Why is everyone afraid to talk about race in a realistic manner?

i'm not. i found it to be a bit funny. and you don't have to think of race in every aspect of life to able to talk about it in a realistic manner. i just find it interesting to see where people think of race. personally, i wouldn't think of it here. but i don't think about it a lot (except on es for some reason lol)

i also find it funny how most people who claim to have some higher understanding of racial issues tend to find race in everything.

Really, John Thompson recruited from cannibal tribes? He had a thug player or two, but overall, I don't have a clue where this is coming from.

On March 13, 1982 John Mooney, the sports editor for the Salt Lake City Tribune, referred to John Thompson as the "Idi Amin of Big East Basketball."

Time Magazine wrote on March 14, 1983:

Patrick Ewing comes ungently to the Big East tournament

The sophomore season of 7-ft. Georgetown Center Patrick Ewing has been a mean slide back to the hard times of Jackie Robinson. Signs along the way: at Providence College, EWING CAN'T READ; at the Meadowlands in New Jersey, THINK EWING! THINK!; in Philadelphia's Palestra, EWING IS AN APE. When Ewing was introduced there someone in the crowd tossed a banana peel onto the court. T shirts and buttons have been manufactured bearing the slogan: EWING KANT READ DIS, which is also a recurring chant at the games. Not surprisingly, Patrick Ewing, 20, has had a few fights this year. Racism is not surprising. It pervade sports and life. But the overtness of ape banners and bananas on the floor is chilling.

Bang,

Sampson when to UVA...(not Houston) didn't he?

;)

I was pretty sure he was one of the Twin Towers,,, but it's been a long time, and i wrote from memory.

I sort of met Sampson once, I literally bumped into him in Georgetown. I came through a door, and there he was. I swear my nose hit him below the sternum. Dude was the biggest person I've ever seen.

~Bang

As I grew older and become slightly more

Still' date=' the U of the late 80s probably can't hold a candle to Georgetown of the early 80s because Jimmy Johnson was a goofy southern boy and White America will always trust the good ole southern coach to keep his [b']darkies[/b] in line...at least a little bit.

:wtf:

If you want to have an academic discussion about race, that is fine, but throwing around slurs like this doesn't help.

Archived