Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

DCSports Bog: Inside the Sideline Melee

MattFancy

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/dcsportsbog/2009/11/inside_the_sideline_melee.html#more

was standing on the concourse, about as far away from Sunday's sideline melee as possible, and my initial reaction was one of embarrassment. I mean, if you're going to lose badly, at least do it with class, right?

That feeling only grew when I watched DeAngelo Hall's strong defense of his own actions, and his pledge to call Commissioner Roger Goodell to complain about Falcons Coach Mike Smith.

"I stay in Atlanta during the offseason, so if Mike Smith wants to see me, he can definitely find me," Hall said, which just sounded silly.

But then I watched the actual fight clip a bunch of times. And based on the available camera angles, you'd have to say, at worst, this was a 50-50 fault thing. At worst. And somehow the Redskins came away with two flags, and the Falcons with none. Let's take a look.

Above, you can see the hit that set the whole thing off. Sure, it was late, and LaRon Landry has a habit of doing this. Sure, it was a flag. But just for the sake of setting this thing up, you'll notice that Matt Ryan technically has zero feet out of bounds when contact is made. It was a late hit, but it's not like Landry killed Mike Smith's puppy or anything.

Best part of the whole article though:

hallfalconsfight9.jpg

"?????? I better call upstairs and see what exactly I'm allowed to do here."

LOL

Pretty good writeup

"Our quarterback was hit late, and there was a skirmish over there," he said. "All I was trying to do was restore order to the sideline and did not want to get into a situation where any of our guys were injured. That was my view of it."

With all due respect, sir, I think you were creating disorder, not restoring order. I charge you with issuing falsehoods.

It is safe to call the HC of the Falcons trailer trash. He should do Jerry Springer this offseason.

Classy organization.

Pretty good writeup

It is safe to call the HC of the Falcons trailer trash. He should do Jerry Springer this offseason.

Classy organization.

Yeah I'd say he did the opposite of trying to break things up. And what is his beef with Hall? He wasn't even the HC when Hall was there.

Its a sad day when the stupid shouting match on the sidelines is more interesting then watching the Redskins play.

Great breakdown though. The Atlanta coaches should be fined for adding fuel to the fire and not trying to break it up.

btw... Landry and Ryan walking away and everyone else gets their panties in a bunch. :hysterical:

That was pretty funny. **** the Falcons.

You want an organization that is pure ****, from the top down, there it is.

As a Redskins fan, I can legitimately say that outside of maybe Oakland, we have ablsolutely no right to talk about any organization. What do you know really about the Falcons by the way, that says they are pure whatever... and we are talking CURRENT organization, not what the Falcons did in the 80's either. They are a pretty well run organization, imo. Much, much better than ours.

What I find puzzling is how in the **** the ref was right in the middle of Hall and the two coaches and did nothing. At a minimum there should have been offsetting penalties, no way in hell 92 should have been the only one flagged. Also, since when did a coach get to put his hands on a player? I don't care what the situation is, no coach, on any team should be touching an oppossing player, EVER! Fines and suspension at a minimum.

Pretty good writeup

Classy organization.

Eh...it was no Jeff Van Gundy swinging from Alonzo Mourning's leg like a five year old.

I really have no idea what "class" and sports have to do with each other.

My guess is that Smith turns this into some galvanizing "We against the World" message for his team. And, frankly, in football sometimes this macho nonsense works for teams.

You know what else I've never understood? Football is legalized barbarity. Hines Ward can break some dude's jaw with a blind-side hit, stand over him, and get praised for his toughness. But for some reason, a bunch of guys in armor stupidly throwing punches at each other is bad.

Meanwhile in baseball, 50 people can jump into a rugby scrum and it's a part of the game.

Sports is weird.

I knew Hall was right as soon as I read Mike Smith's quote about his perspective of the fight. It was total BS and the exact opposite of what I remembered seeing. It was pretty clear that he knows he messed up and is just trying to disguise that by speaking in coachspeak. He should be fined by the league, at a minimum. Very bad example.

I really dont get how many people are pissed at Hall about this. Not only was it OBVIOUS he did nothing wrong on the sidelines, then WE get a freaking penalty while coaches and players push D Hall around for a awhile and m smith might have even taken a swing at Hall!!!

total bush league and the refs need to be held accountable for this ****, completely ridiculous.

That hit will draw a flag in the NFL EVERYTIME on a QB. It's the way it is.

Landry should know this and should have held up.... and the Falcons should have been flagged for shoving Hall. It was 20 to 1 when Landry showed up and then 92 came storming in.... AH is the man. Love that guy.

Archived