Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Washington Wizards Thread - SUMMER LEAGUE IS ON

No Excuses

Can't wait. It is too hard to judge a team on 1 game. I want to know if what I saw last game was for real or not.

right with you there bro. I want to badly to believe in this team but I defo will need more than 1 game. I have full confidence, but just want the evidence to justify it.

As much as D-Steez can burn me up, I still think we need his defense. We don't have any guards that have proven to play consistent defense. One victory does not make a complete turnaround so let's hold on to our one defensive-minded SG.

I think DeShawn has realized that his role with this team is a defensive guy . . . HOPEFULLY the days of him shooting threes without any hesitation are long gone.

Stevenson has probably realized that he is behind at least 3 guys who are more talented than him on the offensive side of the ball . . . so the only way he'll get PT is to step up and play D.

And if he continues to just focus on defense, then I have absolutely no problem with that. We have enough scoring. If he can be a guy who can annoy the hell out of the other team's scorers, then we have a better shot at winning ball games. With last year's sour taste in the team's mouth, I would think that winning is their top priority.

Man, if Gil hits that three and Williams misses his, this is a completely different game. That really hurt right there.

I just got home from work but I did a little 1-speed fast forward through the beginning. I'll watch more of it later but from what I can tell, defense and rebounding has been killing us. Gil has really been struggling on that side of the ball.

Is it safe to say we would've won this game if our big three was intact and healthy? Butler leaving hurt enough without Jamison being out, too.

(God, I was hoping I wouldn't have to post that this year :doh: )

I don't know man. I'm not really feeling Caron so far this year. He just seems lost when we're running the offense. It's like a four man team and then him.

Atlanta is a good squad though. I could easily see them as the 4 seed in the East again. And I think people sleep on Jamal Crawford.

I also think this is how it's going to be early on for the Wiz. You just don't go from the disaster that was last year to a full on sprint towards awesomeness this year. I know a lot of people cashed in early last year so I'm not sure if people realize just how bad it was. And this is coming from a lifelong Wiz fan who is used to bad. So there are going to be some downs. I'm still confident though. Nothing has changed for me.

Game 2: Back to Earth.

2 games into an 82-game season. We didn't have Caron for half the game and Jamison is still nursing the injury. So I'm not too concerned.

Very underrated player on this team though is Mike Miller. Very smart watching him on offense he doesn't turn the ball over and keeps the ball moving. Great shooter too.

Caron is lost out there. He's not playing team ball and as usual he's injured..

Caron's go to: *dribble* *dribble* *dribble* *jump shot for 3 with defender in face* *miss* *long rebound* *fast break* God I hate that ****.

Very underrated player on this team though is Mike Miller. Very smart watching him on offense he doesn't turn the ball over and keeps the ball moving. Great shooter too.

I love Mike Miller. He's the definition of a basketball player. He might be the most well-rounded player for the Wiz in the last 20 years. Dude is just solid everywhere.

The Hawks are returning the same core as last year with the same system and coach. We played them as well as we could for a team two games into a new coaching system without two of its three best players. Last year this game would have been a blowout.

By the way, is Young being tutored on offense by Stevenson and Ruffin? Dude is officially Brick Young now. Hot steaming pile of poo when his shots not falling.

By the way, is Young being tutored on offense by Stevenson and Ruffin? Dude is officially Brick Young now. Hot steaming pile of poo when his shots not falling.

You been reading any of the stuff about how he's in Flip's doghouse? Basically he's not putting in the work or is incapable of learning Flip's system or a combination of the two. That's why he didn't play a single minute in the first game.

No love for the Wizards domination tonight? Beat Jersey 123-94 without either Antawn or Caron. Gilbert had 32 points on 9 of 13 from the field and 3 of 4 from downtown with 7 assists. He had 20 at half and 30 at the end of 3. Clearly could have hit 40 but didn't play in the 4th.

And Blatche. Man. Blatche has somehow turned into a monster this year. I never thought I would say that. 30 points on 15 of 18 from the field, 6 rebounds, 2 assists, 1 steal and 1 block in 28 minutes. I haven't been a fan of his in awhile. Basically because he was more concerned with clowning around and trying to be cool than working on his game. But they're saying now that he's really putting the work in. A story a couple of days ago said that he called Sam Cassell (Wiz assistant coach) at 11:30 at night and asked if he could meet him at the Wiz training facility because he wanted to get some shooting work in. Man. He looks like KG-lite out there. Blatche's biggest problem has always been consistency. Keeping it up night after night. But if he has finally figured it out and does keep it up, Jamison needs to come off the bench.

Foye had 17, Haywood 10, D Steezy got 10 somehow, Miller (my new favorite player) lead the team in rebounding with 11, JaVale had two sick alley oops and Nick Young finally came in and finally knocked down a couple of shots. It was just a complete domination. Shot 62% from the field and 64% from downtown. Just beautiful.

And they look like a team out there. A real team. Always clapping for each other, huddling up, helping each other up, separating each other from the refs before they get T'd up, etc etc etc. It's like a culture shock for me.

There are going to be some ups and downs. They are trying to turn this franchise around from the complete debacle that was last season. I've never felt this good before though. Just some amazing things going on at the Phone Booth. I worry what Jamison coming back is going to do to the flow, but whatever. Bring him off the bench and there wouldn't be a better 6th man in the league (he's already won the award once, as has Miller.) I'm so psyched.

UnWise Mike on Andray Blatche:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/10/30/AR2009103003540.html?sid=ST2009103003970

For Blatche, it's a 'new Dre'

By UnWise Mike

Saturday, October 31, 2009

Angela Oliver opened her desk drawer in Greenville, S.C., on Thursday morning, saw the page peeking out, and thought, Damn, there it is. By coincidence, she had found a four-year-old article folded between the pages of a notebook.

"Blatche Shot," the local paper read.

"That's the night I could've lost my baby," said Oliver, the woman who raised and nurtured Andray Blatche. "After everything that's happened since, you know it just seems so long ago now.

"It just feels good that I can actually look at it today and, say, 'That was then.' "

The Wizards' home opener is Saturday, the hopeful dawning of a new era at Verizon Center, featuring Coach Flip Saunders, the return of a reconstructed Gilbert Arenas and a vibe that already feels invigorating after all the hurt and generally horrible play from last season's 19-63.

Andray Blatche also believes it features "the new Dre."

He says the kid who was forever the lanky, semi-interested-in-basketball project is gone, replaced by a determined 6-foot-11 center.

He says he is no longer the next big youngster after Kwame Brown certain to never get it and break the franchise's heart. The clubbing, the drinking -- the young knucklehead he used to be?

"Part of the old Dre," Blatche said. "That was a younger me. I'm more mature. More focused."

This Andray Blatche says DeShawn Stevenson taught him how to eat right and genuinely prepare himself for each game, to the point that Blatche now subsides mostly on lean meats, fish and fruits and vegetables.

Saunders and assistant coach Sam Cassell, he said, helped turn him into a workout fiend, a veteran who will spend all hours to better himself, a guy who could comfortably come off the bench in Dallas on Tuesday and drop in 20 points in 35 minutes of a huge road win in the opener.

"My shot is more consistent and my body is in better shape," Blatche said. "Really, I'm just more dedicated to the game."

Many detractors who made the kid the organization's premier punching bag over the past four years -- including almost every local media member and many of his teammates -- need more time to genuinely believe Blatche has turned the corner in his career.

Fine, Blatche said. After a few seasons of unfulfilled promise, he understands the trepidation. But he does want the masses to know: Whatever good people see of him on the court this season did not begin with wanting to be a better player as much as it did with wanting to be a better person.

When we talk about growth and development among NBA big men, it usually has to with learning how to seal off a defender, adding a drop-step move to an offensive arsenal, or making sure not to get caught on a defensive switch. Not just being big, but playing big.

But four years after Blatche jumped from prep school to pro basketball, taking the same shortcut that worked so well for Kobe Bryant, LeBron James and Kevin Garnett, growth and development meant leaving much of the life behind -- the constant clubbing, the adolescent foolishness that makes young kids saunter up to scantily clad women in Logan Circle, imply they're interested and end up being charged with sexual solicitation of an undercover officer -- a charge against Blatche that was later dropped.

Or thinking that, at age 18, he was invincible, so much so he tried to slap a gun out of a would-be carjacker's hand on Sept. 25, 2005, the night he thought he was only shot in the wrist. Until the ambulance and police arrived, and an officer broke the news: "I think you were also shot in the chest."

"My body started getting very hot," Blatche said. "When the ambulance got there, I saw all the blood and dropped. I called my mom, passed out and then the helicopter took me to the hospital."

Angela, who received a call every night from her son, knew something was wrong. She hung up the phone when Blatche's friend told her of the shooting, broke down and drove from South Carolina in five hours to be by her son's side.

Three months after her "little boy" was the 49th pick in the NBA draft, he was hooked to intravenous tubes in an emergency ward.

No vital organs were punctured and, two days later, Blatche returned home.

"I was so young, I didn't know what I was thinking, trying to smack the gun away," he said. "I was out with the wrong crowd. Got caught up in the moment.

"I think about it now, I'm just happy to still be alive."

Something about calling a 23-year-old a four-year veteran still sounds odd, even for his mother, who still has all her son's recruiting letters from high school and remembers the day Syracuse Coach Jim Boeheim visited their home.

But leafing through that notebook Thursday, Angela feels as if 2005 is an eternity away now.

"I see the role of maturity he's taking," she said. "His feet are planted now. He was just all over the place before. He doesn't drink anymore. He doesn't go out all the time anymore. The other day he told me he put his 'playa card' in the safe. Now that's a good sign."

He has kept one humorous reminder from a legal transgression, one given to him by Arenas, his prankster teammate, who actually obtained a copy of the police report in order to design a special Wizards jersey for Blatche.

The jersey reads, "$80 Will Make You Holla."

"It's true," Blatche said, laughing out loud. "I still got that jersey."

"Believe it or not, I don't have any regrets," he said. "That was the path God chose for me to go down. If anything, all those things make me appreciate my life and career now even more."

Angela Oliver, whom Blatche calls his biggest fan "since I came out of the womb -- she's the woman who put the ball in my hands," will attend the home opener with her husband Alonzo Stanley, Blatche's stepfather, and Blatche's little brother, Tre' Oliver.

In hindsight, she says her son was not yet ready to "be put into a man's world" four years ago.

"He might have seemed big to some people, but he was just a little baby, still a little boy," she said. "Now? That's not the person who came to the NBA."

I watched the whole game, an came away impressed with the fact that we did NOT play down to our competition at all. We knew we were better then them, and we squashed them. All this, and no Jamison or Butler. I work less now, so I'm going to follow my DC teams better now.

My question to ya'll is: what's the beef with Butler? He was like our second captain last year, now he's the official team ball hog? What gives?

I watched the whole game, an came away impressed with the fact that we did NOT play down to our competition at all. We knew we were better then them, and we squashed them. All this, and no Jamison or Butler. I work less now, so I'm going to follow my DC teams better now.

My question to ya'll is: what's the beef with Butler? He was like our second captain last year, now he's the official team ball hog? What gives?

Caron hasn't even played that much to call him a ball hog. Yeah he took 17 shots the first game, but I think he figured we needed to pick up the scoring with Jamison out. He only took 5 shots in 17 minutes of play against the Hawks. I would actually like to see Miller get more minutes on the court. As I've said he is the smartest offensive player on the court and while he doesn't dominate you physically he'll do everything for you.

Interesting note, Miller and Oberto were the only guys on the Wizards to have a positive +/- rating against the Hawks. Meaning when they were on the floor we outscored the Hawks by 7.

not really. It's just that Caron likes to get his shots in but everyone can tell when he is going to shoot. He starts dribbling, then dribbles some more without going anywhere, then he pulls up.

In this offense there is a lot of movement on the floor so there is no reason why he cant find his shots, but he would be better suited to come off screens and use pick-n-rolls to get himself open. He really isnt a driving threat and defenders know that he doesn't have the quickness of a foye or arenas to drive by them so they sit back and only give him the jumper. His mid-range jumper aint bad but when it is constantly contested, it limits its effectiveness.

I told you guys that about Caron Butler years ago but no one listened. He doesn't play within the offense. Why else do you think Phil Jackson traded him. He is completely useless. All he has is that jab step jump shot..

You're right. Maybe we can get Kwame back.

Archived