Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Washington Wizards Thread - SUMMER LEAGUE IS ON

No Excuses

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/wizardsinsider/2010/09/andray-blatche-wizards-agree-t.html

Wizards agree to a contract extension with Andray Blatche, pick up fourth-year option on JaVale Mcee

The Wizards took two steps toward establishing some stability with their youthful frontcourt on Friday by reaching a contract extension with forward Andray Blatche and exercising the fourth-year option on center JaVale McGee.

According to a league source with knowledge of the situation, Blatche agreed to an extension that will keep him with the team through the 2014-15 season. Blatche had two seasons left on his deal and could've become an unrestricted free agent in 2012, but the Wizards didn't want to take the risk of letting him go on the open market with the possibility of lockout looming after this season, the source said.

Blatche, 24, is coming off a season in which he averaged career highs of 14.1 points and 6.3 rebounds. After the Wizards dealt away Caron Butler, Antawn Jamison and Brendan Haywood at the trade deadline, Blatche's production increased to 22.1 points on 48.5 percent shooting, with 8.3 rebounds, 3.6 assists and 1.5 steals over the final 32 games. He will enter his sixth season after entering the league as the 49th pick in the 2005 NBA draft.

The 6-foot-11 Blatche, who signed a five-year deal worth $15 million in the summer of 2007, was slated to earn $3.26 million this season and $3.52 million next season. But the deal is structured in a complicated manner that allows the Wizards to give him a salary boost the next two seasons, using some of their available salary cap space. So, this basically works out to being a five-year contract with Blatche is expected to earn more than $30 million between now and the end of this deal. When asked if the deal compared to the five-year, $34-million contract Amir Johnson signed this summer with the Toronto, the source said it was "in the ballpark."

The Wizards also picked up final year of McGee's rookie deal, worth $2.4 million. The 7-1 McGee averaged 6.4 points, 4 rebounds and 1.7 blocks last season. McGee's production also increased after the all-star break, as he averaged 10.1 points, 6.5 rebounds and 2.2 blocks in the final 32 games. The 18th pick of the 2008 NBA draft, McGee has participated with USA Basketball for the past two summers and was one of the final three cuts for the 12-man roster for the world championships in Turkey.

I'd say this has to be one of the best moves in the off season. Blatche played like a top 10 pf at the end of last season. I read on another board that this new contract may amir johnson an he has like 5 year 34 mil contract which makes this an absolute steal. Stoked for some wizards basketball this season!

Excellent move. You don't average 21 PPG, with 8 rebounds and 4 assists as a fluke over a 30+ game stretch. People are really under estimating Dray. He's going to be dangerous with Gil and Wall attacking the rim. His ability to finish close or hit from 18 feet is going to be deadly. Wall and Arenas will have open lanes to the rim all year long. Couple that with his excellent passing and we potentially have a top PF in the league if he performs as well as he did last year.

Very excited for the future of this team. Seraphin is looking like a steal as well. I was down on the pick initially but the more you read about him, the more you can't help but think how over powering he will be for the new generation of NBA big men. He'll be a bull in the paint and apparently he has range as well.

I've made my feelings know many times when it comes to Blatche. I think people see numbers (small sample at that) and lose sight of the other things that go into being a professionl basketball player and athlete. Hopefully I'm wrong.

All those things that kept him from being great, he supposedly does not indulge in anymore. I have full faith in Leonsis that if he's rewarding Blatche with big money then he knows that Blatche is focused on basketball and not on the celebrity lifestyle. This extension to me, is the coaching staff and the front office acknowledging that they have a player who they believe is an integral part of the team going forward. I doubt he gets this if he was still Party Blatche.

This post is from another site but it shows the true impact of the Blatche extension.

Look at the 6th post on this site.

http://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=1054506&start=15

I think this is also an indication that EG/Ted are eyeing 2012 as a time to make a major free agency acquisition. If EG gave Blatche a 5-year, $35M deal structured to minimize his salary impact in 2012, the team payroll would look like this:

Player 10/11 11/12 12/13 13/14

Arenas,Gilbert 17.73 19.27 20.81 22.35

Hinrich,Kirk 9.00 8.00 - -

Wall,John 5.14 5.53 5.92 7.46

Jianlian,Yi 4.05 - - -

Blatche,Andray 7.80 6.98 6.16 6.98

Thornton,Al 2.81 - - -

Young,Nick 2.69 3.76 - -

McGee,JaVale 1.60 2.46 7.39 -

Seraphin,Kevin 1.56 1.68 1.80 2.76

Booker,Trevor 1.20 1.29 1.39 2.35

Armstrong,Hilto 0.92 - - -

Howard,Josh 3.40 - - -

N'Diaye,Hamady - - - -

Free Agent - - - -

Free Agent - - - -

2011 pick (#12) - 2.08 2.24 2.40

2012 pick (#18) - - 1.53 1.65

2013 pick (#22) - - - 1.29

Total Salary 57.91 51.06 47.23 47.24

Salary Cap 58.04 59.78 61.57 63.42

Luxtax Limit 70.81 72.93 75.12 77.37

Cap Room Availa 0.13 8.72 14.35 16.19

Cap Room Availa 12.90 21.87 27.89 30.14

We would have $14M in cap room in 2012 even with a full cap hold on McGee. If we cut (or sign-and-traded) McGee, we would have $21M in cap room while still having Arenas, Wall, Blatche, Booker, Seraphin and two 1st round picks on the roster. Can anybody say "Dwight Howard"?

:pfft::pfft::pfft:

This post is from another site but it shows the true impact of the Blatche extension.

Look at the 6th post on this site.

http://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=1054506&start=15

:pfft::pfft::pfft:

oh **** another realgm user haha. I don't think we can land dwight honestly. It really depends if we can create a winning culture by then. We don't need to make the playoffs necessarily this year, but at least the next.Wall and Dwight in his prime would be something to reckon with. By then D-wade would be like 30, and with as many miles as he and letravel have logged I can see some equalization going on in the east.

Archived