Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Wise - Zorn's Trickery Proved Rather Revealing

TK

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/09/13/AR2009091303245.html

Zorn's Trickery Proved Rather Revealing

By UnWise Mike

Monday, September 14, 2009

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J.

If I'm scoring at home, I wouldn't be worried about a season-opening loss to the Giants at the Meadowlands. Outside of Washington, that was expected.

What I would worry about was the trick play called before halftime, the fake field goal that, lucky for Jim Zorn, wound up with his punter scoring a touchdown.

That play did not have Sept. 13 written all over it. It looked like a gadget to be used Oct. 26, home against the Eagles -- or, heck, Nov. 22, in Dallas.

But an aura of desperation surrounded that call in the first game, such an absolute do-or-die mentality after two failed trick plays. It smacked of Zorn having to pull out something this season. Or else everyone in the world -- including the Redskins owner -- was going to tear into him something fierce.

It smacked of a coach on the hot seat.

If I'm Jim Zorn, I'm also worried about what I'm going to say when someone asks me Monday at my post-mortem news conference, "Who makes that audible call at third and eight late in the third quarter?" The inexplicable play that resulted in Ladell Betts losing two yards off right guard. Because if it's Jason Campbell I really want to know why and how he came up with that.

If it was Zorn's call, I need a better answer.

I like Jim Zorn, the person. I consider him a refreshing change, a cutting protest to the gruff coaching stereotype. Between his choice in music (electronica played on kids' toys) and the abstract rumination ("You know what's awesome?" he once began, "repetition."), we know Jim Zorn is out there.

Fine. Beautiful. Beats the Bill Belichick-Jon Gruden-I'm-A-Miserable-Coach Club.

But is it asking too much for the coach of the Washington Redskins to be here on game days?

Trickery certainly didn't work Sunday in this eyesore. I love the "Inspector Gadget" in Zorn, but until the very end of a miserable first half, he caught no one off guard, other than his own players.

His play-calling in the red zone didn't work, either.

With the ball at the 11-yard line at the end of the third quarter, not once was Campbell allowed to take a shot in the end zone -- in a physical scrum that almost demanded a touchdown instead of a field goal at that point.

And then there was the discipline issue, which Zorn was visibly upset about afterward.

Santana Moss trading blows with Giants defensive back Corey Webster, the best receiver on the team losing his helmet and his composure as he was body-slammed to the ground deep in his own territory.

LaRon Landry popping Brandon Jacobs after the Giants' running back galloped down the right sideline and had gone out of bounds. It was unclear whether Landry remembered that he was pancaked by Jacobs a year ago in the opener, but it was just one of those what-are-you-thinking moments that brings up a lot of questions about a team losing its wits about itself when it matters.

"We have to be the ones to maintain our composure," Zorn said. Earlier he said, "We didn't have our poise."

Did we mention a couple of unnecessary timeouts taken by a team that needed every one at the end of a game, when it couldn't stop the clock to get the ball back? One had something to do with offensive alignment, which isn't specifically Zorn's fault.

But he's the coach and he would agree that all of it is his fault in some way.

The hard truth for Zorn and his ability to keep the reins of this franchise in his hands: He's not only got to look good on the win-loss ledger, but he's also got to look competent and worth keeping on team owner Daniel Snyder's ledger. It begins with one question:

Is this my coach next season?

In order to succeed in that vein, Zorn doesn't have to be who he's not -- Bill Parcells or some other blowhard who says quotable gruff stuff like, "Don't show me the pain, show me the baby." (Although, just once, I would like to see a Zorn press conference where he's not explaining everything as thoughtfully and thoroughly as my pre-Algebra teacher, where he just said, "No," "Yes," "No," and walks out, angry as hell about a loss).

But he does have to come across as a leader of men, someone whose players aren't questioning his methods or his strategies because they firmly believe Zorn's ways have a means to an end -- and that end is making the Redskins a playoff team.

There were two players in the locker room Sunday, who, on condition of anonymity, under their breath when everyone else walked away, wondered whether an option was the right play to call from the second play from scrimmage, after Clinton Portis had ripped off a 34-yard run -- a play that resulted in Antwaan Randle-El being tackled for an 11-yard loss.

Or whether a reverse pass near the goal line, which went for a two-yard loss to Moss, was really the right call in that instant.

"It was scripted," Portis said. "Unfortunately for us, we weren't in a rhythm to run them at that moment. Look, the only thing that happened [sunday] was we found out we can't go undefeated."

For Zorn's sake, I'm glad that fake field goal Hunter Smith scored on worked. Because if it didn't, the Redskins go into the locker room down 17-0 in one of the most dreadful first halves imaginable.

Count me among the multitudes of people who wanted to see the re-emergence of the roll-the-dice character who fooled the Cowboys and the Eagles in the first month of the regular season a year ago.

When Zorn unearthed a fourth-down fake in his own territory during the preseason -- that amazingly went for a first down when the ball was hiked to the upback, Rock Cartwright -- a chorus of people worried aloud that the coach was showing his cards too soon, that coaches shouldn't give away tells like that in the exhibition season.

It seemed trite logic at the time, especially if Zorn wasn't going to break out the magic book until October or November. But that fake field goal before halftime did not look scripted -- not one bit.

It looked like the call of a man who knows it's got to happen for him and his team now.

The discipline. The improved play-calling. And especially the points on the scoreboard, the notion that this offense is appreciably better than the sorry lot that closed out last season.

Or Jim Zorn will be out there all right -- in a way that has nothing to do with the abstract

Wise erroneously assumes that we could call that fake field goal at any time, against any team. Danny Smith said that the Skins noticed something about the Giants FG-defense on film, which gave them the chance to work on a fake FG. It's not a play that could be "saved" up for Dallas, like Wise says.

There were two players in the locker room Sunday, who, on condition of anonymity, under their breath when everyone else walked away, wondered whether an option was the right play to call from the second play from scrimmage, after Clinton Portis had ripped off a 34-yard run -- a play that resulted in Antwaan Randle-El being tackled for an 11-yard loss.

Or whether a reverse pass near the goal line, which went for a two-yard loss to Moss, was really the right call in that instant.

ruh-roh....MUTINY!!!

With the ball at the 11-yard line at the end of the third quarter' date=' not once was Campbell allowed to take a shot in the end zone -- in a physical scrum that almost demanded a touchdown instead of a field goal at that point.[/quote']

the answer to this should be obvious, although zorn cant say that to anybody in the media.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/09/13/AR2009091303245.html

For Zorn's sake, I'm glad that fake field goal Hunter Smith scored on worked. Because if it didn't, the Redskins go into the locker room down 17-0 in one of the most dreadful first halves imaginable.

Look - even Mike knows Suisham misses that kick before half! hahaha.

Zorn had a look of dread about him on the sidelines the whole game. He tried to get angry but he didn't have that determination anger look. Looked more like a guy furious about his own failure.

He needs to find his backbone in a hurry because his chicken **** play calling is going destroy us this season. For the love of God man if you lose 28-0 let it be so... but let's go down fighting. This play it safe garbage of just trying to keep it close stinks of fear.

ATTACK DAMNIT and let the outcome be whatever it will.

Zorn had a look of dread about him on the sidelines the whole game. He tried to get angry but he didn't have that determination anger look. Looked more like a guy furious about his own failure.

He needs to find his backbone in a hurry because his chicken **** play calling is going destroy us this season. For the love of God man if you lose 28-0 let it be so... but let's go down fighting. This play it safe garbage of just trying to keep it close stinks of fear.

as others have said, i think the second he tries this, he and campbell will be exposed and we'll lose even worse. but im with you, id rather try it and go down swinging.

Zorn has already LOST this team. The lockeroom stuff is real and his players aren't playing with confidence or even fire. Randy Thomas is at the end of his career and not pushing people around. Heck. I think he was even too tired to get mad about bending over and taking it from the G-men for the umpteenth time. He must like it.

Zorn is "DEAD MAN WALKIN"

The only questions now remaining is when Snyder will make the move and who will replace Zorn. The when is unfortuntatley going to take a while because our schedule allows the Redskins to regroup and probably finish the first half of the season at 5-3 or 4-4 so we are probably looking the 12th or 13th game of the season before the Skins will be so dismembered that Snyder will mercifully put Zorn out of his misery, along with the rest of us.

Scary as hell that we're talking about a coach on the hot seat with 15 games left but he does make some valid points.

considering the local media

not really

Wise makes a couple questionable reaches in his theory

1. pointed out above about the fake FG

2. The wr-pass with ARE has been used often by the Skins ever since Gibbs came back, and early in games.... if it had worked everyone would be talking about how great it was to catch the Giants napping. I didn't like the fact it prolonged getting JC in manageable passing situations until late in the second quarter, but hardly a desperate type call.

3. Every one complained Zorn didn't take enough chances and risks against the Giants last year, are now faulting him for doing such today.

4. I saw a ton of stupid play calls today by several teams, that made Zorn look like a genius..... did he blow some? yes but it wasn't as bad as Wise and others are proclaiming.

the fact is we played better against the Giants than either game last season.... we made some progress against our toughest foe the past few years (especially at their stadium), but it wasn't enough

the answer to this should be obvious, although zorn cant say that to anybody in the media.

If you're right and Zorn knows his QBs so well because he sees them play all the time - so we can interpret from his decisions without seeing proof - he knows them better than us (a valid, plausible statement) -

then it should also be obvious why Campbell is the starter over Todd Collins and why he was chosen over everyone else in the preseason.

Personally I think Zorn had a really bad day playcalling. Taking out the last drive that everyone wants to take out, Campbell was 14/20 for 155. That's 70% with over 10 yards per completion. Those are numbers that back up what I observed; a lack of commitment to the pass that was working.

Look the Skins got 15 first downs in the game, only 3 of them were by rushing. We attempted 20 rushes for 51 yards. Those failed attempts were key wasted downs. I'm not saying we needed to abandon the run, I'm saying we need to find a scheme that works. This game really reminded me of last season, where Zorn kind of stumbled through week 1 and later figured out how to use his personnel more effectively. That may happen again, but all I know is that in this game the playcalling was sub-par in my opinion.

If you're right and Zorn knows his QBs so well because he sees them play all the time - so we can interpret from his decisions without seeing proof - he knows them better than us (a valid, plausible statement) -

then it should also be obvious why Campbell is the starter over Todd Collins and why he was chosen over everyone else in the preseason.

Personally I think Zorn had a really bad day playcalling. Taking out the last drive that everyone wants to take out, Campbell was 14/20 for 155. That's 70% with over 10 yards per completion. Those are numbers that back up what I observed; a lack of commitment to the pass that was working.

Look the Skins got 15 first downs in the game, only 3 of them were by rushing. We attempted 20 rushes for 51 yards. Those failed attempts were key wasted downs. I'm not saying we needed to abandon the run, I'm saying we need to find a scheme that works. This game really reminded me of last season, where Zorn kind of stumbled through week 1 and later figured out how to use his personnel more effectively. That may happen again, but all I know is that in this game the playcalling was sub-par in my opinion.

game one of last week looked like most of our games. eeking out wins against some teams early on was nice, but the team always looked the same. not a single win of more than 8 points. we are incapable of just showing up and proving that were the better team.

did you see what the saints did today against the lions? they dominated. everyone knew they would, and they did in easy fashion. complete domination. we should be able to crush the lions too wouldnt you think? or the rams? or the hapless bengals? but we always seem to win by a FG or lose to these teams, which shouldnt happen.

this team looks the same cause its the same team. and were gonna fare the exact same way as long as campbell and zorn are here. every week will come down to one play to swing the team. we'll never get mutilated and we'll never do the mutilating.

the fact is we played better against the Giants than either game last season.... we made some progress against are toughest foe the past few years (especially at their stadium), but it wasn't enough

I agree it was improvement but not enough for the conditions facing either Jason or Zorn. They needed to rise to the occasion and they didn't

Exactly!!! I'm so tired of playing fearful! I kept yelling "grow some balls zorn" the entire game.

Did those pass plays you observed include his fumble for a TD, and the INT he threw? Because those were pass plays that weren't working, in fact those are the kinds of plays that just may make someone back off the passing game a bit.

Well unlike last season maybe Zorn can figure out that JC would be most effective if he was utilized as head water boy, or somthing important like that.

as others have said, i think the second he tries this, he and campbell will be exposed and we'll lose even worse. but im with you, id rather try it and go down swinging.

Exactly what I was saying during the game. We know that Candle is going to make a couple mistakes a game, at least. Most won't show up in the stat sheet like they did today but he makes them plenty. 10 or 14 points worth of mistakes today.

Why stop him from having a chance to make up for those mistakes? We'd likely lose anyway with more mistakes but him never being given the chance to make them isn't going to help us win or him in his development and is likely part of what holds him back.

I think he sucks, but at least let him play and prove once and for all to remove all doubt. Who knows, maybe he will do what nobody expected in a game a few years ago where he improvised a TD and win.

A guy like Brett Favre may have always sucked too if they never let him do anything to help the team win. Especially if turned off the offense after his own **** ups. It just seems like either Campbell is really that bad, and they should know it and pull him, or they should release the headlock they have him in and let him play.

That audible on 3rd and 8 though. Wasn't that all Campbell? That was just pathetic. It seems they intend to go down with this guy.

did you see what the saints did today against the lions? they dominated. everyone knew they would, and they did in easy fashion. complete domination. we should be able to crush the lions too wouldnt you think? or the rams? or the hapless bengals? but we always seem to win by a FG or lose to these teams, which shouldnt happen.

We didn't play the same way during 6-2, that we did during 2-6 last year.

Now, as for the Saints, playcalling and personnel are drastically different there. Their offense is their obvious strength, and their defense is just supposed to be "good enough." The Skins appear to view their defense as their strength, and the playcalling makes me think they want their offense to be "good enough." That is actually fine with me if it leads to wins (margin doesn't matter to me), but if you don't take what the defense gives you (passing)... you are going to lose.

Did those pass plays you observed include his fumble for a TD' date=' and the INT he threw? Because those were pass plays that weren't working, in fact those are the kinds of plays that just may make someone back off the passing game a bit.[/quote']

Those plays occurred in two series in the 2nd Quarter. The Skins had 1 series in the 1st Quarter where Campbell passed in a 3rd and 19 or something. Yes, he then did make 2 mistakes - a fumble and a pick. Again, for the game - even taking out the last drive that everyone wants to take out - JC completed 70% of his passes for over 10 yards per completion.

So on the one hand, you have a QB who made 2 mistakes in his early opportunities, and since had completed multiple passes for a good percentage, including 3rd downs (again 12 of the 15 third down conversions were through the air) and on the other hand you have 20 carries for 51 yards. And you are arguing that the playcalling was the right call because of Jason's early mistakes.

Come on man, Jason didn't play a perfect game, but I think we could have gotten a W with better playcalling and Jason at QB today. I think the stats bear that idea out, but we'll never know for sure. All we know is the plays that were called certainly didn't work.

*By the way, I will echo the sentiment of many who were confused by the red zone screen pass. Confused. Angered. Upset. Many emotions, all negative.

Did those pass plays you observed include his fumble for a TD' date=' and the INT he threw? Because those were pass plays that weren't working, in fact those are the kinds of plays that just may make someone back off the passing game a bit..[/quote']

The fumble for a Giants TD was all Campbell but watching Moss's break on the INT leaves me thinking that it should have been caught by him or broken up. Still, no excuse for crossing the line.

As for the Wise article, that play with Smith was hardly desperation. No you don't see it every day but it was well executed and worked. As long as the players are smart and don't turn a potential positive play into a big negative, why not mix in a bit of trickery? If the rest of the game plan were better, I doubt people would focus on the gadget plays so much.

We didn't play the same way during 6-2, that we did during 2-6 last year.

Now, as for the Saints, playcalling and personnel are drastically different there. Their offense is their obvious strength, and their defense is just supposed to be "good enough." The Skins appear to view their defense as their strength, and the playcalling makes me think they want their offense to be "good enough." That is actually fine with me if it leads to wins (margin doesn't matter to me), but if you don't take what the defense gives you (passing)... you are going to lose.

dude, we lost 16-7 to the giants. we then came out and scored 20+ points for 4 weeks, which in hindsight was extremely flukey. they we finished the rest of the season doing the same thing. eeking out wins against absolutely terrible teams, and losing to teams that were clearly better.

the team was the same all last season. we just didnt know it until the rams game (which was the real turning point in week 6).

Archived