Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Random Thought Thread (Stadium Edition)

Toe Jam

Was enjoying for the umpteenth time my third most favorite sci-fi film— Interstellar— alone in my home theater last night and paused it just before the “Miller’s water planet” scene to google and get a refresher course on “time dilation”.

Which ultimately turned into a four hour diversion. (Which isn’t a bad thing when you’re an octogenarian insomniac with nothing but time on his hand.) 

The following will be old hat and even an unsophisticated oversimplification for most, but nevertheless interesting and mind expanding to a few others.

For the few...

https://www.technologyreview.com/2019/12/07/65014/how-does-time-dilation-affect-aging-during-high-speed-space-travel/

“Would you really age more slowly on a spaceship at close to light speed?

I heard that time dilation affects high-speed space travel and I am wondering the magnitude of that affect. If we were to launch a round-trip flight to a nearby exoplanet—let's say 10 or 50 light-years away––how would that affect time for humans on the spaceship versus humans on Earth? When the space travelers came back, will they be much younger or older relative to people who stayed on Earth? —Serge

Time dilation is a concept that pops up in lots of sci-fi, including Orson Scott Card’s Ender’s Game, where one character ages only eight years in space while 50 years pass on Earth. This is precisely the scenario outlined in the famous thought experiment the Twin Paradox: an astronaut with an identical twin at mission control makes a journey into space on a high-speed rocket and returns home to find that the twin has aged faster.

Time dilation goes back to Einstein’s theory of special relativity, which teaches us that motion through space actually creates alterations in the flow of time. The faster you move through the three dimensions that define physical space, the more slowly you’re moving through the fourth dimension, time––at least relative to another object. Time is measured differently for the twin who moved through space and the twin who stayed on Earth. The clock in motion will tick more slowly than the clocks we’re watching on Earth. If you’re able to travel near the speed of light, the effects are much more pronounced. 

Unlike the Twin Paradox, time dilation isn’t a thought experiment or a hypothetical concept––it’s real. The 1971 Hafele-Keating experiments proved as much, when two atomic clocks were flown on planes traveling in opposite directions. The relative motion actually had a measurable impact and created a time difference between the two clocks. This has also been confirmed in other physics experiments (e.g., fast-moving muon particles take longer to decay). 

So in your question, an astronaut returning from a space journey at “relativistic speeds” (where the effects of relativity start to manifest—generally at least one-tenth the speed of light) would, upon return, be younger than same-age friends and family who stayed on Earth. Exactly how much younger depends on exactly how fast the spacecraft had been moving and accelerating, so it’s not something we can readily answer. But if you’re trying to reach an exoplanet 10 to 50 light-years away and still make it home before you yourself die of old age, you’d have to be moving at close to light speed. 

There’s another wrinkle here worth mentioning: time dilation as a result of gravitational effects. You might have seen Christopher Nolan’s movie Interstellar, where the close proximity of a black hole causes time on another planet to slow down tremendously (one hour on that planet is seven Earth years).

This form of time dilation is also real, and it’s because in Einstein’s theory of general relativity, gravity can bend spacetime, and therefore time itself. The closer the clock is to the source of gravitation, the slower time passes; the farther away the clock is from gravity, the faster time will pass...”

image.jpeg.753bb80b794670acce4b051020d6abfe.jpeg

Edited by TrancesWithWolves
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

2am in the morning for me and I just read that. That movie was wild, I'll tell you what @TrancesWithWolves, if you haven't seen the show "dark" that might be something you'd like. It's on Netflix but it's all about time travel and the whole show is honestly a complete mind-**** if you're paying attention. 

Yeah, my wife is a Binge Watcher...that's her name on my phone...I came in and she was watching 'DARK' (not sure which episode), but I have never been more confused in my 50+ years.  Just because she started it without me, I asked her questions during every episode all the way to the end.  AND I never got slapped!

giphy.gif

• Haha 4

8 hours ago, TheShredder said:

Yeah, my wife is a Binge Watcher...that's her name on my phone...I came in and she was watching 'DARK' (not sure which episode), but I have never been more confused in my 50+ years.  Just because she started it without me, I asked her questions during every episode all the way to the end.  AND I never got slapped!

giphy.gif

That's great 😆. If you miss 5 minutes of an episode you're already screwed lol. I had to go back and rewatch a few parts because it can be pretty confusing. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

2am in the morning for me and I just read that. That movie was wild, I'll tell you what @TrancesWithWolves, if you haven't seen the show "dark" that might be something you'd like. It's on Netflix but it's all about time travel and the whole show is honestly a complete mind-**** if you're paying attention. 

Thanks for the recommendation @BurgundyYoda but it looks like the universe is conspiring against this for now. I have been recently down sizing my streaming services for the spring/summer. :)

Last week I cancelled my Netflix account because I have so many other video sources that I’ve “collected” (aka wasted a fortune on) over the years including over a thousand itunes movies not to mention 4k blu rays, dvds, obsolete HD DVDs, laser discs and other physical media that I at least need to try to make an attempt to view some of them while I can.

I also get “free” Hulu, Disney Plus and ESPN+ through Verizon in addition to Amazon Prime Video and Paramount+ (which is next on my cancellation list btw). YouTube TV is going on hiatus right after the NFL draft.

I will definitely check out “Dark” in the future as I intend to restart Netflix whenever the new season of “Ozark” airs.

Quick I need someone's help does anybody remember the playoff game in Seattle where there were fans mocking Sean Taylor's death with his jersey hanging from posts with bullet holes and fake.blood?

I'm arguing with a Seahawks fan on YouTube that said that that incident never happened and I remember it like it was yesterday so vividly real Seahawk fans mocking the death of Sean Taylor

On 4/3/2021 at 8:46 PM, TrancesWithWolves said:

Was enjoying for the umpteenth time my third most favorite sci-fi film— Interstellar— alone in my home theater last night and paused it just before the “Miller’s water planet” scene to google and get a refresher course on “time dilation”.

Which ultimately turned into a four hour diversion. (Which isn’t a bad thing when you’re an octogenarian insomniac with nothing but time on his hand.) 

The following will be old hat and even an unsophisticated oversimplification for most, but nevertheless interesting and mind expanding to a few others.

For the few...

https://www.technologyreview.com/2019/12/07/65014/how-does-time-dilation-affect-aging-during-high-speed-space-travel/

“Would you really age more slowly on a spaceship at close to light speed?

I heard that time dilation affects high-speed space travel and I am wondering the magnitude of that affect. If we were to launch a round-trip flight to a nearby exoplanet—let's say 10 or 50 light-years away––how would that affect time for humans on the spaceship versus humans on Earth? When the space travelers came back, will they be much younger or older relative to people who stayed on Earth? —Serge

Time dilation is a concept that pops up in lots of sci-fi, including Orson Scott Card’s Ender’s Game, where one character ages only eight years in space while 50 years pass on Earth. This is precisely the scenario outlined in the famous thought experiment the Twin Paradox: an astronaut with an identical twin at mission control makes a journey into space on a high-speed rocket and returns home to find that the twin has aged faster.

Time dilation goes back to Einstein’s theory of special relativity, which teaches us that motion through space actually creates alterations in the flow of time. The faster you move through the three dimensions that define physical space, the more slowly you’re moving through the fourth dimension, time––at least relative to another object. Time is measured differently for the twin who moved through space and the twin who stayed on Earth. The clock in motion will tick more slowly than the clocks we’re watching on Earth. If you’re able to travel near the speed of light, the effects are much more pronounced. 

Unlike the Twin Paradox, time dilation isn’t a thought experiment or a hypothetical concept––it’s real. The 1971 Hafele-Keating experiments proved as much, when two atomic clocks were flown on planes traveling in opposite directions. The relative motion actually had a measurable impact and created a time difference between the two clocks. This has also been confirmed in other physics experiments (e.g., fast-moving muon particles take longer to decay). 

So in your question, an astronaut returning from a space journey at “relativistic speeds” (where the effects of relativity start to manifest—generally at least one-tenth the speed of light) would, upon return, be younger than same-age friends and family who stayed on Earth. Exactly how much younger depends on exactly how fast the spacecraft had been moving and accelerating, so it’s not something we can readily answer. But if you’re trying to reach an exoplanet 10 to 50 light-years away and still make it home before you yourself die of old age, you’d have to be moving at close to light speed. 

There’s another wrinkle here worth mentioning: time dilation as a result of gravitational effects. You might have seen Christopher Nolan’s movie Interstellar, where the close proximity of a black hole causes time on another planet to slow down tremendously (one hour on that planet is seven Earth years).

This form of time dilation is also real, and it’s because in Einstein’s theory of general relativity, gravity can bend spacetime, and therefore time itself. The closer the clock is to the source of gravitation, the slower time passes; the farther away the clock is from gravity, the faster time will pass...”

image.jpeg.753bb80b794670acce4b051020d6abfe.jpeg

It's all relative...we are all wrapped in our own cocoon and we all warp time and space...from picking up speed by just walking towards or away from something and our own body mass...crazy what reality is...you want your mind really blown watch anything on quantum physics...double split experiment for example...

15 hours ago, bakedtater1 said:

Quick I need someone's help does anybody remember the playoff game in Seattle where there were fans mocking Sean Taylor's death with his jersey hanging from posts with bullet holes and fake.blood?

I'm arguing with a Seahawks fan on YouTube that said that that incident never happened and I remember it like it was yesterday so vividly real Seahawk fans mocking the death of Sean Taylor

no...I don't remember that at all...but, sometimes I don't remember what day it is...

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

I definitely remember that @bakedtater1 but never saw any visual evidence of it. It was skins fans who traveled to the game personal accounts of what happened supposedly. Not sure where that come from thou.

So.you remember fans that went to the game talking about it?

Man updating on the Deshaun story. One of the victims released a letter to him to the public and it's pretty scathing. 

Just now, bakedtater1 said:

So.you remember fans that went to the game talking about it?

I remember people on this board talking about fans that went to game that said that. They hadn't gone themselves if I'm not mistaken. 

15 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Bro, you been hangin around Cooleyfan1993 too much.

And I love Cooleyfan1993, by the way

I've never met cooleyfan?...do you know what I'm referring to?

Well I was hoping somebody could help me possibly research it maybe there's info in tailgate section?

24 minutes ago, bakedtater1 said:

Well I was hoping somebody could help me possibly research it maybe there's info in tailgate section?

Hey don't take everything I say, so seriously. Really, lighten up. But it was a joke that you may not have been privvy to anyway, so I understand.

But yes, I know what you're referring to. I remember hearing that. But I don't remember seeing or hearing any kind of documentation or proof of it.

1 hour ago, bakedtater1 said:

Pretty sure he was joking about how you’re getting into a YouTube argument now, which he’s saying is funny, since i get into the twitter arguments 😂 

something cool for training camps in late July! 

Edited by Cooleyfan1993
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Hey don't take everything I say, so seriously. Really, lighten up. But it was a joke that you may not have been privvy to anyway, so I understand.

But yes, I know what you're referring to. I remember hearing that. But I don't remember seeing or hearing any kind of documentation or proof of it.

Hey you either

Submitted for the enjoyment and edification of fans of Christopher Nolan’s space-time bending masterpiece.

SPOILER ALERT: If you haven’t seen Interstellar yet get yourself in front of a screen and watch it immediately (then come back here and watch this). I mean seriously it’s about time (pun intended). ;)

Major spoilers for the uninitiated lie ahead...

• Like 2

The older I’ve gotten, the more I’ve come to realize that many of the most amazing, successful and charismatic people that I’ve encountered— men and women who were clear “masters of the universe” — were at their core absolute scoundrels. A few of them even manage to redeem themselves.

Case in point...

Charm is more valuable than beauty. You can resist beauty but you can't resist charm. - Audrey Tautou

EDITED TO ADD:

He even managed to fool the entire “To Tell The Truth” panel...

Two minutes of hi-lights including reveal...

Full episode...

• Thanks 1

I never noticed the games to be any less entertaining when players didn't have to waste much of their off season in OTAs.  I never gave a rats ass if Billy or Sonny came to camp out of shape. I never noticed anyone out of shape hurting our team, besides Fat Al.

Every time I see someone sustain a major injury in OTAs, or hear about the never ending drama of one guy refusing to show up even though its voluntary, coach asked about it at every presser.... reinforces that i think they are counter productive.  Come week 1, everyone's offense looks like crap and defenses control the game, no matter how many months the guys hang out and bond. 

I am watching every game, fully entertained with or without OTAs. I cannot be alone.

Edited by RandyHolt
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, redskinss said:

Jordan Reed retired. 

Could have had a hall of fame career if it weren't for all the concussions. 

Yeah, that's too bad for him.  I personally think a lot of that is just bad luck.  Once you get concussed, from my understanding (which includes talking to and asking one of my friends who's a neurosurgeon), you're more susceptible to future concussions, and the symptoms can last longer.  He came into the NFL already having had a few concussions.  So, even by the time he got here, he was probably more susceptible to them.  And then they just kept piling up.

The one thing which can't be said about him is that he was soft.  He tried to play through everything.  His body just eventually failed him. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bakedtater1 said:

And  to think the asshole who caused the last one now plays for the Cowboys

Yep. He was with the falcons back then (preseason 2019) but now with Dallas. **** him. 

altough chances are he would’ve gotten a concussion later on anyway. It was inevitable