Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Random Thought Thread (Stadium Edition)

Toe Jam

I would like to see a 4th quarter with the game on the line for him NOT to throw a pick. He has done well enough to get a new contract. But I would be wary.

yes! good call. this is what worries me. i have said this in another thread about his inabiity to lead his team to a win late inthe game. infact, he is vulnerable to turnovers in those situations. i dont care who you are, what team you play for, a QB has to be able to conduct a winning drive in the NFL. there will always be a time when a QB has to lead his team to a winning drive, especially in the playoffs when it is one and out.

I want to worry about his consistency. the consistency to be able to put in 3 or 4 good games in a roll. not like a good game every 20 games. these next 3 games will be crucial in determining campbell;'s faith in my mind. once he can put in good games ina consistent manner, i believe that his confidence will go up and his ability to lead a winning drive will also come.

Edited by wdcredskins

As beat up as he is does anyone really think he's worth what he's due next year? His salary next year is enormous. We have a chance to cut him free in 2010.
It saves either 4 or 6 million by cutting Clinton, forgot which.

But does it matter without a cap?

I would like to see a 4th quarter with the game on the line for him NOT to throw a pick. He has done well enough to get a new contract. But I would be wary.

I agree, but be wary about him leaving and completing his development elsewhere. I want to see him make more comebacks on a regular basis as well although I would like to see the team blow other teams out even more. It seems that the entire team, usually a different player on every down, cracks under pressure; RBs not picking up blitzes, inconsistent protection, WRs giving up on/running lazy routes, etc.

Edited by SKINchiefer

Man, Portis is gonna be back and he's gonna be pissed. I'd rather have a PO'd Clinton Portis with something to prove in B&G then any other color, for real for real. We'd be retarded to let him go and Portis be a monster somewhere else.

yeah, until he doesnt get his way 100% of the time. DO you really think he is BETTER than a younger, healthier back?

the fact we have so much salary tied up in him leads me to beleive even more this team wont improve with him here.

Yes, I still wore my 26 jersey last week. funny that we win when I wear it and he doesnt play.

If 2010 is an uncapped season, it would be the perfect time to cut bait on a guy that would have a huge cap hit when cut, like Portis.

Granted, Snyder's man crush on Clinton probably makes cutting him a non-starter. But, I wouldn't be against it if it were to happen.

I'd much rather invest in the OL and go with Ganther + Betts as a RB by Committee approach.

yeah, until he doesnt get his way 100% of the time. DO you really think he is BETTER than a younger, healthier back?

the fact we have so much salary tied up in him leads me to beleive even more this team wont improve with him here.

Yes, I still wore my 26 jersey last week. funny that we win when I wear it and he doesnt play.

If only he practiced with purpose.

Portis maybe a drama queen sometimes, very outspoken sometimes, and at the end of his effectiveness as an RB or at least on the downhill roll....but come on people he is not a cancer....the way the team has treated him this year, put him on IR (for a concussion...come on) and not spent money on OL for him or JC...he hasnt driven the team apart, been speaking to the media nonstop, or just flat out been an *** like TO would have been. He isnt a cancer and he's not the root of all the teams problems on/off the field so stop making him the scapegoat.

Clinton should go... Campbell has 3 more games to log before a decision is made but Im leaning towards wanting him to stay. Hopefully the team is open minded to this idea but Im worried that the splash of a shinny new QB will be more than Snyder can over come.

Ditto. I mean Jason Campbell played phenomenally since the ATL game. He has been lot more efficient on 3rd downs and making better throws down the field. Statistically, His numbers are not greatly different but we must account for his sack counts.

First 7 game he was sacked 20 times, but in the last 6 games since the bye week and Sherman Lewis taking over the passing plays, he has been sacked only for 13 times. That's a drastic difference if you consider that the first 7 games were against miserable teams with horrible defense record. Stability of the O line greatly improved recently and we are picking up blitzes properly which wasn't the case at all in the first 6 games. The sacks the skins gave up were off the end, not because of miss cues.

Anyways, only thing Jason Campbell would solidify my vote for him to come back next year is to witness a 4th quarter comeback drive at least once or just convert a critical throw to finish off the game. The improvement is definitely there. Just like everyone in this blog, as a diehard skins fan, we all like to see a stable, consistent, and progressive team but we cannot see that witout continuity. I have been a harsh and brutal critic against JC but what he did against Saint's D was no fluke and I believe we can build on what we have currently.

We all know, drafting another QB is not the solution we can depend on. Regardless, I think we should keep JC around even though we draft another QB for mentorship and competition... that is if he can gather a 4th quarter comeback drive.

I would like to see portis back. He has shouldered this team since he's been here minus 2 seasons due to injury. From that point of view, he is by every definition, a Redskin.

But i would like the coaching staff to be much firmer on him. If he doesn't perform then sit him down and go with the running-by-committee aproach. I won't call him a cancer, but it seems as though a lot of the play calling and game time decisions had him involved too much.

why do you replace a QB that has nearly a 90 QB rating on the season??? he IS our best option for 2010 and 2011, i say we give him a two year extension and draft a right tackle in the 1st round to start immediately and a left tackle in the 2nd round to compete with LevI jones in 2010 to take over LTackle in 2011

trade portis for a 4th rounder and get a right guard or a speed back to compete with mason for the #3 rb in 2010, i'd be happy with Betts Ganther and Mason as our RB's next year tho

does Ganther want to return punts? there has to be somebody on this team that can do it better than ARE!!!! (who isnt named Moss)

Yes, and it has been confirmed by the spark we have without him.

-That spark had nothing to do with our young stars emerging? Or possibly a new person calling the plays? Possibly the improved play from the line? etc etc.. You don't honestly think the loss of Portis has sparked this offense into gear do you? If it contributed at all, it was micro, and only because he was once again trying to play hurt, I hate how he has done that for us these past years.

-That spark had nothing to do with our young stars emerging? Or possibly a new person calling the plays? Possibly the improved play from the line? etc etc.. You don't honestly think the loss of Portis has sparked this offense into gear do you? If it contributed at all, it was micro, and only because he was once again trying to play hurt, I hate how he has done that for us these past years.

The removal of Portis has contributed to it, yes. Portis dogs the guys blocking for him, dogs the coaches and sometimes I think he thinks he is the coach. I have no doubt that he whispers in little Danny's ears about what he thinks are the problems, and that is part of the problem. Not to mention, he pouts, he doesn't practice, but most importantly he is not doing anything to justify receiving the star treatment. He is slow, he doesn't make the big plays, he doesn't score a lot of touchdowns, he falls down, he runs into the backs of our own guys ... I mean, he is average and pretty much has only achieved being above average since he's been here. People point to his yardage but if he didn't get the ball a billion times a game he wouldn't even have that. Personally I think he has been overrated for years and it's no coincidence that him being gone has led to the guys seeming to have each others backs.

Ahh, how quickly some forget.

CP has been pretty much the ONLY offense the Skins have had, especially with an "inexperienced and hurt o-line" everyone has been ripping all year about.

I will say this year he didn't seem to hit the holes running, it looked as if he stopped alot in the backfield, but hey; the guy has laid it out on the field every time he's been out there, and IMO he deserves a little slack.

Betts? I've always liked him, but the problem with him is he hasn't had enough constant playing time; there's not many back-ups that can be thrown into the game and produce off the bat. When he filled for CP a few years ago, everyone was ready to put him into the ring of honor; he is another of those players that deserves to be back.

.Now, if anything, getting a good fullback would be a big help to Betts and CP, and whoever is the QB next season. JC has played better the last few weeks, and whether its been the playcalling or him actually playing better, if he plays the last games like he did the past 2, I could see him being here, but definitely not a job just given to him; he will have to compete with whoever is here next year.

I doubt Zorn will be here next year, but if/when he goes somewhere else, he will sure lobby to get CP, Betts, and maybe JC.

"Doitchbig" wouldn't be the same anywhere else...

He has played well enough for me to stop calling him "candle"

BUt for me, it is about what he will do the next 3 games. giants, cowboy and the chargers. if he plays well in those 3 games, i'm all for bringing campbell back next yr. but if he goes back to playing avg, no point of bringing him back. he has lot of issues being a GOOD QB in the league and i labeled him as one of the worst starting QB in the league. but for the past 3 games or so, he has def played better and if he contiues to do so rest of the season, it will show me one thing that will be OK with him being back next yr. COnsistency. It seems that campbell has a good game like 3very 20 games or so.

As for portis, if we are judging him bsaed on only this season, then yeah, he should go cause he had nothing in him. but the fact is, if anyone deserves another chance, it would be portis because he proved himself in the past that he can get it done and has been the only consistent player for us minus this yr. we know what portis is capable of , hence bring him him back and see if he still has it or not.

You, sir, are a god among men for doing that.

Not even joking.