Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Current Redskins that have a shot at the hall

ZIBBY28

CP needs like 3 more successful years (and im talking better than he's done the last 3 seasons, plus TDs)

AH if he is dominant until the end of his career.

Cooley, no way. Too many good TE coming along, plus the TE market is only getting stronger. Only TG, shannon sharpe like numbers get any TE in (witten, antonio gates, thats it)

DHall could, he's only 25 and made 2 pro bowls, he could potentially make another 5.

Samuels... after Pace, Ogden, Hutchinson, etc etc, it would have to be a slow year for hall of famers.

None of the guys are getting in without more rings.

Here's some "tough love" questions though:

Has Clinton ever been the best RB in the league for any one year?

Has Cooley been the best TE in the league for any one year?

Has Fletcher ever been the best MLB in the league for any one year?

Has Samuels ever been the best LT in the league for any one year?

Has Haynesworth ever been the best DT in the league for any one year?

The answer to all of the above is no, except for AH, who was last year.

If the team wins a ring, competes in the playoffs for several years, and the players above continue to make contributions, MAYBE.

Otherwise I would say there isn't a HOF player on the roster. Though a ring or two would change all that.

This is pretty much spot on. When Portis first came to the team I'd have assumed otherwise because I figured Gibbs would bring another trophy to DC:doh:

Nobody on the Skins current roster is getting in without a ring or three. Certainly some have the stats for it, but the rest of the world can't see that until there is some post-season tape on these guys.

I've seen a hundred other guys mock Reed Doughty. ..... They're in a mass grave off the Loudon County Turnpike. ;

If Jacoby isn't a Hall of Famer, neither is Samuels. Course, if Jacoby isn't a HOFer, then neither is Randall McDaniel or Gary Zimmerman, sooo....

Samuels is a better player than Jacoby and has had the better career. I don't know if Chris is a Hall of Famer, but he does belong there ahead of Jacoby.

The guy who will at least have Hall of Fame numbers is Clinton Portis. Barring injury or sudden retirement, Clinton will end up as at least the 6th or 7th leading rusher in NFL history. He may not get in because of politics, but his career numbers will put him in pretty select (HOF) company.

Sorry, I have been watching the Skins since 1970, and even though I can't use any stats to prove it, there is no way the Samuels is a better player than Jacoby. Jake just flat out dominated people. Chris is a grat player, but not better than Jake.

Are we talking first ballot HOFers or the HOF in general? I'd say Samuels has a shot (6 Pro Bowls helps), so does Portis. London Fletcher is easily one of the best middle backers in the game but gets no attention so that doesn't help. If Haynesworth continues on the path he is on (crosses fingers) he will definitely be a HOFer.

And Sean Taylor :(

I don't see anyone right now who I think is HOF worthy. We have a few very good players, but no all time GREAT players. Samuels mayyyyyyyybe, but Grimm, Jacoby, and Lachey well before him and none of them have been able to break through.

Just to throw it out there, if Portis gets 3800 yards (1260 yards/season for 3 years) he'll be 7th on the all-time rushing list, over Tony Dorsett. A fourth 1200 yard season would get him to 4th all-time rushing.

I think it is conceivable to see Portis playing 4 or 5 more seasons. He's what, 27 now?

Rings matter for quarterbacks. I don't know how you all could sit and watch last night's HOF inductions and not realize that.

Hayes never won one. McDaniel never won one. Thomas never won one. Ralph Wilson never won one. Bruce Smith never won on. Only Rod Woodson has a ring from this year's class.

Hell, the Buffalo Bills now have four members in from a team that got it's ass kicked 4 times in a row in their quest for a ring. (The same number of members from the 3 teams that beat them combined. How's that for justice?)

CP's first five years had him on pace to get up in the rarified Emmitt Smith / Walter Peyton air. He's had some injuries that have slowed him down, but it's still an outside shot. Even if he doesn't get that far, the top ten isn't too far off. (Roughly 2k yards). Every back in the top ten except Jerome Bettis and Curtis Martin are in. I have to think both will be in one day. It's possible.

London Fletcher has had more tackles than any other player in the last 12 years. More than Ray Lewis, more than Zach Thomas, more than Urlacher, more than any other defender in the NFL.

I'd say those two have the best shot of all of our players.

~Bang

Rings matter for quarterbacks. I don't know how you all could sit and watch last night's HOF inductions and not realize that.

Hayes never won one. McDaniel never won one. Thomas never won one. Ralph Wilson never won one. Bruce Smith never won on. Only Rod Woodson has a ring from this year's class.

Hell, the Buffalo Bills now have four members in from a team that got it's ass kicked 5 times in a row in their quest for a ring. (The same number of members from the 3 teams that beat them combined. How's that for justice?)

CP's first five years had him on pace to get up in the rarified Emmitt Smith / Walter Peyton air. He's had some injuries that have slowed him down, but it's still an outside shot. Even if he doesn't get that far, the top ten isn't too far off. (Roughly 2k yards). Every back in the top ten except Jerome Bettis and Curtis Martin are in. I have to think both will be in one day. It's possible.

London Fletcher has had more tackles than any other player in the last 12 years. More than Ray Lewis, more than Zach Thomas, more than Urlacher, more than any other defender in the NFL.

I'd say those two have the best shot of all of our players.

~Bang

Good post, Bang. The problem when it comes time to talk HOF, is they start spouting off "___ time Pro Bowler" and that's when the popularity contests and other intangibles tend to take over beyond common sense. It's a travesty that Fletcher continues to be snubbed for the Pro Bowl and that will hurt his chances for the HOF. If Samuels and Cooley continue to rack up Pro Bowls, then they will probably be mentioned in HOF conversations when it's all said and done. Barring any freak injuries, CP should crack the Top 10, possibly into the low digits.

Agreed, ST is the dark cloud hanging over this subject matter. It's hard not to think that he was well on his way...

Yes this is very true...:( But i think that if Fletcher can stay healthy and Big Al keeping O-linemen off Fletcher then Fletcher should have some really good years ahead of him and some pro bowls and maybe get to the HOF other then that CP could also get there too CP is heading in the right direction just needs 3-4 more good years then we can really start talking about CP for the HOF

P.s. A Ring for CP w/ SBmvp or SB record for rushing would help alot:D

Having a Super Bowl ring is not meant to be representative of a player's skill per se, but it just makes the resume pop out of the page, and that is quite important considering that sports writers are the deciders.

Playing for one team, like Ray Lewis or Brett Favre, also helps the application as it adds legacy and prestige.

Furthermore, HoF players are supposed to be dominant, not just very good; even in baseball, Raffy Palmeiro was a borderline candidate because he always posted great numbers, but he was a kind of journeyman and was certainly never a bonafide superstar.

A poster earlier mentioned Curtis Martin, and his case perfectly highlights my point.

Martin was always a very good running back, and his numbers are extremely solid, but since he played for the always mediocre New York Jets, his accomplishments are somewhat tarnished as he was never the center of attention.

Samuels is a better player than Jacoby and has had the better career. I don't know if Chris is a Hall of Famer, but he does belong there ahead of Jacoby.

Huh?

Sorry, I have been watching the Skins since 1970, and even though I can't use any stats to prove it, there is no way the Samuels is a better player than Jacoby. Jake just flat out dominated people. Chris is a grat player, but not better than Jake.

What he said.

Good post, Bang. The problem when it comes time to talk HOF, is they start spouting off "___ time Pro Bowler" and that's when the popularity contests and other intangibles tend to take over beyond common sense. It's a travesty that Fletcher continues to be snubbed for the Pro Bowl and that will hurt his chances for the HOF. If Samuels and Cooley continue to rack up Pro Bowls, then they will probably be mentioned in HOF conversations when it's all said and done. Barring any freak injuries, CP should crack the Top 10, possibly into the low digits.

i agree totally. Last night they trumpeted Randall McDaniel's 12 Pro Bowls.. which is a hell of an accomplishment. And I'm sitting there thinking that Chris Hanburger went to 9 and never is even an afterthought for HOF voting.

The Pro Bowl will begin to mean less and less as the years go by because now with fans involved in the voting the honor of it is somewhat compromised.

It used to be the best of all the all star squads because it was voted on only by other players and coaches.. in fact it was set up so WRs voted for DBs, DBs voted for WRs .. OL voted for DL, RBs for LBs, etc etc. You used to REALLY get a good look at who deserved the honor.

~Bang

Maybe Samuels.

Portis is not a hall of fame runningback. He has never been a top 3 back in this league. And if he has never been a top 3 back, how is he hall of fame worthy? The Hall of Fame is for people who were the very best at their position.

The highest Portis has ever finished as a running back is 4th in the league. How can a RB be in the HOF and never have won a rushing title?

He's never started in a Pro Bowl game; he's been a back-up just 2 times. He has just 1 All-Pro selection.

Just having a lot of numbers is not enough; its why Vinny Testeverde and Drew Bledsoe are not HOF QBs.

So Portis may finish in the top 10 in RBs, and be remembered as a very good RB. But he was never the best or the top in the game. So he is not a HOF.

Samuels I think is considered a top tackle. I think his chances would improve with a ring, but I would say he has an outside shot.

Archived