Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Current Redskins that have a shot at the hall

ZIBBY28

None of the guys are getting in without more rings.

Here's some "tough love" questions though:

Has Clinton ever been the best RB in the league for any one year?

Has Cooley been the best TE in the league for any one year?

Has Fletcher ever been the best MLB in the league for any one year?

Has Samuels ever been the best LT in the league for any one year?

Has Haynesworth ever been the best DT in the league for any one year?

The answer to all of the above is no, except for AH, who was last year.

If the team wins a ring, competes in the playoffs for several years, and the players above continue to make contributions, MAYBE.

Otherwise I would say there isn't a HOF player on the roster. Though a ring or two would change all that.

-Possibly his rookie year, but otherwise no

-No, but he's top 4 easily (and still young), and with Gonzalez on the way out, and the Cowboys (Witten) and Chargers (Gates) unable to do much in the playoffs, that doesn't leave Cooley far out of the running.

-That's debatable. I'm inclined to say no, but I also never paid attention to him until he was a 'Skin

-Again, it's debatable. He has had some absolutely monster years, but it's hard to say if he was the "best" or not.

-Yes last year, but he's also younger and has some good years left in him.

If the team wins a ring, competes in the playoffs for several years, and the players above continue to make contributions, MAYBE.

Otherwise I would say there isn't a HOF player on the roster. Though a ring or two would change all that.

The username fits. :cool2:

Nope, Ricky Williams had the record in 2002. 1853 rushing yards. Portis was around 5th.

EXCELLENT post. I feel like that needed all caps, sir. I completely agree, and don't think that it could be put any better: On a team that is never competitive in the playoffs, or at least hasn't been, really, a player would have to have a STANDOUT individual career, being the unquestioned best at his position at least a season or two and being very good the rest of his career, preferably great. Like you said, a ring or two would change this, but otherwise, it would have to be a spectacular player in this day and age.

-No, but he's top 4 easily (and still young), and with Gonzalez on the way out, and the Cowboys (Witten) and Chargers (Gates) unable to do much in the playoffs, that doesn't leave Cooley far out of the running.

-That's debatable. I'm inclined to say no, but I also never paid attention to him until he was a 'Skin

-Again, it's debatable. He has had some absolutely monster years, but it's hard to say if he was the "best" or not.

-Yes last year, but he's also younger and has some good years left in him.

The question I asked is historical, not predictive. Only looking backwards, not looking forwards.

The only player who is unquestionably the best at his position for 1 entire season on the list of potentials was Albert Haynesworth.

Clinton: No. Cooley: No. Samuels: Questionable. I would say no. But that's the one debatable one. London: Absolutely not. Zero pro-bowls. And Ray Lewis playing in his prime most of London's prime.

PLEASE do not read into this that any of these players are not good. London is one of my absolute favorite players on the team, as is Cooley.

But none, in my opinion, have been the best at their position, except for AH, for a season. And I think that you need to be at least the best at your position once to be in the HOF. Just my thought.

Samuels' closest year to being the best was probably 2005.

But that was also the year Walter Jones and Hutchinson paved the way for Shaun Alexander's MVP title. So no, even then he was 2nd best at most.

Clinton if he gets a ring...if not, iffy even with the numbers he may put up in the next 3-4yrs.
Clinton might need more than a ring. Depends on if he was the Super Bowl MVP or something as well. LT's been the standout back of this era, and like I mentioned before, Portis has no NFL season accolades to his resume except for his rookie year.

It's not really a bad thing having no clear cut HOF guys on the team right now, it's not a necessary thing for winning a Super Bowl.

In order

Most likely:

Samuels

Portis

Possible

Cooley

Haynesworth

Conditional Longshots:

Moss

Fletcher

Posters in this thread must not have read the thread regarding Portis getting ready to break Riggins numbers.

Riggins was a bum and Portis owns him. Of course none of the posters ever saw Riggins play...and Riggins most famous run, Portis would have been tackled by a horse collar. :silly:

Anyway...Samuels over the Hogs that didn't make it????

Moss over Gary Clark????

Just laughable remarks by the posters.

Posters in this thread must not have read the thread regarding Portis getting ready to break Riggins numbers.

Riggins was a bum and Portis owns him. Of course none of the posters ever saw Riggins play...and Riggins most famous run, Portis would have been tackled by a horse collar. :silly:

Anyway...Samuels over the Hogs that didn't make it????

Moss over Gary Clark????

Just laughable remarks by the posters.

We're talking about current Redskins.

Moss has no shot, but I can see Samuels making it.

Portis should, but he'll have a hard time without any hardware.

We're talking about current Redskins.

Moss has no shot, but I can see Samuels making it.

Portis should, but he'll have a hard time without any hardware.

EXACTLY so if the the MAJORITY of the HOGS couldn't get in Samuels does?????????? Thats just silly. But you didn't see the hogs play.

The only current Redskin with numbers is Portis, but he needs more than just yards to make it.

Samuels... but he would probably have to wait a while because he isn't something like 400 pounds and 7 foot 7 inches. But he is consistently in the pro bowl so he should def be in the hall one day.

Fletcher should get in, but again will probably have to wait forever.

Haynesworth could be in if he continues to dominate and progress like he has been.

EXACTLY so if the the MAJORITY of the HOGS couldn't get in Samuels does?????????? Thats just silly. But you didn't see the hogs play.

The only current Redskin with numbers is Portis, but he needs more than just yards to make it.

They absolutely should be in, but I doubt that many of them will at this point because its been so long.

Grimm should be in for sure.

Clinton might need more than a ring. Depends on if he was the Super Bowl MVP or something as well. LT's been the standout back of this era, and like I mentioned before, Portis has no NFL season accolades to his resume except for his rookie year.

Thing about LT is that his dominance only lasted about 5 years and from what I have heard he might pull a Jim Brown and call it quits early. If he retires before he gets a ring I dont think he has a shot. His incident last year in the playoffs of sitting the bench with a "questionable" injury could also hurt him. That's where CP could jump in. He has been more consistent then any back in the league since he has been in and like I said before if he gets a ring and finishes in the top 5 all time of rushing yards he should be in. Consistency goes along way with the voters and Portis has been the poster boy of that since he's been in the league. I don't feel like doing the research right now but I am willing to bet he has averaged the most games played and most all purpose yards per season compared to any other player of his era.

Thing about LT is that his dominance only lasted about 5 years and from what I have heard he might pull a Jim Brown and call it quits early. If he retires before he gets a ring I dont think he has a shot. His incident last year in the playoffs of sitting the bench with a "questionable" injury could also hurt him. That's where CP could jump in. He has been more consistent then any back in the league since he has been in and like I said before if he gets a ring and finishes in the top 5 all time of rushing yards he should be in. Consistency goes along way with the voters and Portis has been the poster boy of that since he's been in the league. I don't feel like doing the research right now but I am willing to bet he has averaged the most games played and most all purpose yards per season compared to any other player of his era.

See Curtis Martin.

No rings, no HOF. Thats where Portis will fall if he doesn't step up. :cool:

Well Samuels won't make it in before the Hogs that should be in.

Which was my point.

Thats how the hall works. ;)

Not necessarily.

Sheehan was talking about guys that are much less deserving than Gary Clark who are in the Hall already the other day.

It does happen.

I'm exhausted, just got back from seeing Dave Matthews a little while ago...you all can keep up this argument but its time for bed.

See Curtis Martin.

No rings, no HOF. Thats where Portis will fall if he doesn't step up. :cool:

That is probaly the best comparison you could think of for Portis. Good call my friend. Thing with Martin is that he played at the same time as Emmitt and Faulk who both will both be HOFers. I don't know that Portis is facing such competition. LT and Westbrook are probaly his main comp and I think he can top them in longevity.

Archived