Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Current Redskins that have a shot at the hall

ZIBBY28

If Portis gets to 13K yards, he's in.

That's not true.

Just like Bledsoe and Testeverde are not hall of famers, putting up a high career number is not enough.

You have to be the best at your position for at least some period of time. Portis never has been.

Is Corey Dillon a HOFer? He has put up 11.5k yards and a couple of rings. I don't think so. He was never tops at his position.

-portis is a long shot imo without any significant accolades/chips

-fletcher gets absolutely no recognition which is a shame, and i believe the same thing will occur.

-big Al is our best shot, but would he be remembered as skin or titan is yet to be determined.

- if Cooley keeps it up and plays for a long time like he has, i think he can make it.

That's not true.

Just like Bledsoe and Testeverde are not hall of famers, putting up a high career number is not enough.

You have to be the best at your position for at least some period of time. Portis never has been.

Is Corey Dillon a HOFer? He has put up 11.5k yards and a couple of rings. I don't think so. He was never tops at his position.

If Portis averages 1300 for the next three years, he's in. It really is that simple. You are bringing up QBs into the equation? We are talking about running backs. Corey Dillon got his ring after his prime and was not the focal point of the team that won.

The only active player that will be higher then Portis is LT, if LT plays for more then two more years.

If Portis gets to 13K, he's top 7 all time. And I bet he can get to 14K in his career putting him in the top 5 all time.

We are talking running backs here. Top 5 all time is the equivalent to a 3 time super bowl winning QB.

We are talking running backs here. Top 5 all time is the equivalent to a 3 time super bowl winning QB.

That's nonsense.

So if Dillon would have played in a backup role for a couple more seasons and picked up 1,500 more yards to meet your 13k threshold, you would say he is a hall of famer? Nonsense.

Answer me this:

Has Portis ever won a rushing title?

Has Portis ever been a top 3 RB in the league?

Has Portis ever been a starter in a Pro Bowl?

Has Portis got a conference title?

Has Portis got a ring?

What are your answers to these questions?

Because by my count they are all "no" and I fail to see how one could be a Hall of Famer and never even be considered good enough to start a Pro Bowl.

It's the Hall of the Greatest, not the Hall of the very good for a long time.

In order

Most likely:

Samuels

Portis

Possible

Cooley

Haynesworth

Conditional Longshots:

Moss

Fletcher

There is more chance of me getting into the HOF than Moss. Honestly speaking none of the current team will probably end up in the HOF. Just look at some of the great Redskins that are not in the HOF. The HOGS have the rings and probowl appearances and are still not in there so I don't see any of the current team making it.

First off, I don't think any of our current Redskins have a shot. I'll agree that Samuels is close, and so is Clinton, but still no.

Hear this, and don't flame me.

I love Joe Gibbs, and I love LaVar. Period. Gregg Williams single-handedly ruined our guaranteed hall of famers career. Maybe LaVar was a free lancer, maybe he wasn't good at learning defense, maybe maybe maybe. Who though, in the span LaVar, played had more of an intimidating force?

2000-2003

62 Games

21 1/2 Sacks

3 INTS (One pick 6)

10 forced fumbles (1 for 6)

He was our first ballot hall of famer, but he just couldn't learn a system. Too bad, but I sure did get pumped up for the Lavar Leap, and watching him destroy ball carriers. Sadly, we'll never know the havoc Sean Taylor and Lavar Arrington could've reaped. Noone went over the middle on LaVar. Noone went deep on ST. Could've been special.

There is more chance of me getting into the HOF than Moss. Honestly speaking none of the current team will probably end up in the HOF. Just look at some of the great Redskins that are not in the HOF. The HOGS have the rings and probowl appearances and are still not in there so I don't see any of the current team making it.

I'd say there's an equal chance of you or Moss getting into the Hall.

None.

First off, I don't think any of our current Redskins have a shot. I'll agree that Samuels is close, and so is Clinton, but still no.

I love Joe Gibbs, and I love LaVar. Period. Gregg Williams single-handedly ruined our guaranteed hall of famers career. Maybe LaVar was a free lancer, maybe he wasn't good at learning defense, maybe maybe maybe. Who though, in the span LaVar, played had more of an intimidating force?

He was our first ballot hall of famer, but he just couldn't learn a system.

I agree that williams ruined people. he didn't want Pierce cause williams thought it was all about his system and didn't need players. he didn't want ryan clark either. we've let 2 people go who now have superbowl rings. Williams couldn't do anything with walt harris so we let him go and he went and led the league in itnerceptions the next year with another team. Williams may be the all time worst defensive coach in the league for ruining players and not maximizing their talent. its alway been my way or the highway for willaism.

That's nonsense.

So if Dillon would have played in a backup role for a couple more seasons and picked up 1,500 more yards to meet your 13k threshold, you would say he is a hall of famer? Nonsense.

Answer me this:

Has Portis ever won a rushing title?Tk Barber ha..is he a hall of fame?

Has Portis ever been a top 3 RB in the league?YES

Has Portis ever been a starter in a Pro Bowl?nope,Lavar Arrington was though,is he hall of fame?

Has Portis got a conference title?nope but Brian Westbrook does,is he a hall of fame?

Has Portis got a ring?nope,but Timmy Smith does,is he a hall of famer?

What are your answers to these questions?

Because by my count they are all "no" and I fail to see how one could be a Hall of Famer and never even be considered good enough to start a Pro Bowl.

It's the Hall of the Greatest, not the Hall of the very good for a long time.

2000-2003

62 Games

21 1/2 Sacks

3 INTS (One pick 6)

10 forced fumbles (1 for 6)

He was our first ballot hall of famer, but he just couldn't learn a system. Too bad, but I sure did get pumped up for the Lavar Leap, and watching him destroy ball carriers. Sadly, we'll never know the havoc Sean Taylor and Lavar Arrington could've reaped. Noone went over the middle on LaVar. Noone went deep on ST. Could've been special.

On Lavar: Maybe he would have been great, maybe not. He didn't do the Giants much good. Of course, maybe he stopped training when the feud between him and Williams started? :whoknows:

Name 3 rb better than Portis now?

Peterson

Turner

DeAngelo Williams

Tomlinson

Peterson

Westbrook

Parker

Lewis

Tomlinson

L. Johnson

Gore

Barber

S. Jackson

... (43 others)

Alexander

Barber

L. Johnson

Martin

Alexander

Dillon

James

Barber

R. Johnson

Tomlinson

Lewis

Green

Tomlinson

McAllister

Williams

Tomlinson

Holmes

Since the argument for him is based purely on his numbers, than the answer to your question is each year, those backs are better than Portis because they put up better numbers.

Again, he never finished top 3 in the league in rushing. Never has had a rushing title. Never started in a Pro Bowl.

But if you want to depart from the numbers criteria (which I bet you will want to do), I would say that I would take the following running backs over Portis for next season: Peterson, Tomlinson, Turner, Williams, MJD and Chris Johnson.

Portis is a very good back. A team is lucky to have his production. But it is not hall of fame caliber if a player is never the best at his position.

If Fletcher can get a ring I think he has a chance. Haynesworth I think would take a ring, defensive MVP, couple probowls, and SB MVP to make up for "the stomp". Portis, probaly a ring and if he finishes top 5 in RB yardage. Just my opinion though.

Fletch already has a ring with the Rams.

Curtis Martin is the #4 RB for yards in NFL History, with 14,101 yards. He's behind Emmit Smith, Walter Payton, and Barry Sanders.

I haven't heard a lot of clamor for Curtis Martin to be in the HOF. Was he a very consistent back? Sure. HOF worthy? I don't think so.

Portis is going to be in the same boat. If he doesn't do something special (lead the league in rushing, TDs, SB MVP, something like that) he's not going to get in.

Unless we have some miraculous turn around and win a fourth Lombardi, or somebody like Clinton has a league record setting individual year or two, I doubt ANY of the current roster makes it, outside of maybe Fletch, but then he's probably not "high profile" enough to sway the voters.

I would of maybe added Samuels, but if we can't get any freaking Hogs in, I wouldn't hold out much hope for Chris.

Clinton's a warrior, but HoF worthy? A very good back, but another example of the way we over value our players around here if were talking about him in HoF terms.

Hail.

Clinton Portis could have an outside shot if he leads the league in rushing in one of the next three seasons, gets another couple Pro Bowl bids, and the team accomplishes something like a NFC Championship. Otherwise, he's just another guy with decent career stats. Hell, right now, Shaun Alexander has a better chance of making the HoF; better career stats, led the league one season (and came a yard away the year before), and made a Super Bowl.

If Cooley posts gargantuan numbers for his career, and keeps making Pro Bowls, he could end up there someday. But he has a long way to go before he's even in a discussion.

after watching today's ceremonies, it made me wonder.. i posted the same question on the ravens forum, but I'd like to get your guys' take on what current redskins have a ligit shot of ending up in Canton.. Portis have the numbers to get in? do some of these guys need to get a ring before they're even in the hall of fame talk? idk.. the NFL is one of the hardest professional sports to get into the hall of fame, so what do you guys think?

You guys are so funny. No current redskins are worthy. Bunch of guys that haven't acchomplished anything. Including Clinton " I can't run well between the tackles" Portis.

Archived