Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anthony alridge: Long awaited homerun threat?

Hooper

Didn't see this posted. Interesting article on an interesting player. The Shanahan stuff is interesting as well -- I hope Zorn is renting.

http://www.nfltouchdown.com/anthony-alridge-the-long-awaited-homerun-threat-the-redskins-need/

This guy could be something special.

Anthony Alridge runs under a 4.3 forty, and is a great receiver out of the backfield. Oh did I mention he returns kicks…and does it well?

Alridge might turn out to be the homerun threat, the ‘Skins have been without for a decade. He attended the University of Houston and spent time with Broncos last year before going down with an injury. Mike Shanahan was fired after the season and new Denver coach, Josh McDaniels cut Alridge.

Shanahan advised Vinny Cerrato to pick Alridge up, saying he was the fastest player player with the football he has ever seen.

For a guy who has produced 1000 yard rushers by the boatload, that’s high praise.

The Skins are without a legitimate change-of-pace back at the moment. Ladell Betts runs in the same style as Clinton Portis, which means the ‘Skins could an East-West style runner.

Stretching the field both vertically and laterally are musts if Washington wants to improve its offense. Last year opponents crowded the box because there was little to respect outside it. Alridge gives them the ability to stretch it laterally.

The concerns are his small frame (5-9, 175) and the foot injury he suffered last year. However, he’ll get a shot to make his mark during preseason.

He will need to make impact on special teams in order to receive consideration. Marcus Mason found that out last year when he couldn’t make the team despite the fact he was the preseason rushing leader in the NFL.

If Alridge can catch as well as Betts then he could supplant him. However, I haven't heard if the kid can catch or not. Likely Alridge's best chance is to be good in the return game as well as rushing. Then he could supplant Rock, and also be used in rushing situations as a change of pace, whereas Betts would be used in pass-catching situations only.

It has already been reported how Shanahan advised Vinny to get Alridge.

I am really excited about this kid and have high expectations. I really hope he can be a contributor on special teams and see the field. I know Bronco fans were really excited about him.

If Alridge can catch as well as Betts then he could supplant him. However, I haven't heard if the kid can catch or not. Likely Alridge's best chance is to be good in the return game as well as rushing. Then he could supplant Rock, and also be used in rushing situations as a change of pace, whereas Betts would be used in pass-catching situations only.

No way he supplants Betts. The two veterans Zorn has become enamored with are Betts and Collins. It's Al Saunders all over again.

I've always thought Dominique Dorsey would be the RB to make the team out of him and Alridge.

Dorsey has a lot more playing experience it seems (CFL or not), has Alridge ever seen the field at all? Dorsey is really fast too don't forget, and is also a good KR/PR.

I think his best bet is to get a spot ahead of Rock. Remember that there's the rule change that outlaws the wedge this year, which could potentially affect Rocks game more than we think. The teams that didn't use the wedge generally had more speedy return men similar to Alridge.

Alridge will make this team. I have said it since we signed him.

I agree with you, Stew. I think Alridge is going to open a lot of eyes this preseason with his performance and could potentially gain the next cult following on ExtremeSkins. From what I have seen, this kid has the scary speed and agility that this team needs, and he's very versatile. I encourage anyone who has not seen his highlights to watch them!

Does he fumble?

ding, ding, ding...

can he block?

seems a little injury prone ...

it would be awesome ... I am optimistic for one reason, and one reason only. It appears that for some reason, RB's are really the only position to have players emerge out of nowhere.

sure you got guys like James Harrison, and London Fletcher out there, but it seems RB's can get by on pure raw atheletic ability ... it appears this kid has that.

Archived