Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anthony alridge: Long awaited homerun threat?

Hooper

I have never heard of this guy, so I went and watched tape of him on YouTube. My gosh....he might be the next Darren Sproles. (sorry for my spelling....little speedburner RB for Chargers) If Zorn and company cannot figure out how to use this kid to HELP PUT POINTS ON THE SCOREBOARD, they are utterly pathetic. With the exception of possible injuries and/or having fumblitis, there is no way this kid should be left off of the opening day roster. Period. At the very least, have him return punts and kickoffs!

I have never heard of this guy, so I went and watched tape of him on YouTube. My gosh....he might be the next Darren Sproles. (sorry for my spelling....little speedburner RB for Chargers) If Zorn and company cannot figure out how to use this kid to HELP PUT POINTS ON THE SCOREBOARD, they are utterly pathetic. With the exception of possible injuries and/or having fumblitis, there is no way this kid should be left off of the opening day roster. Period. At the very least, have him return punts and kickoffs!

What if he fumbles a lot? What if he makes bad decisions and doesn't call a fair catch when he should? What if he's lazy? What if he has a bad attitude? What if another player outplays him?

I know, a lot of what ifs. However, you seem to have disregarded any possible defect with this guy by only looking at his speed. If he was really that great, how did we (of all teams) land this guy? It happens... just not that often.

The coaching staff is going to consider Ladell Betts to be one of the best backup RBs in the league until he retires. Problem is, he doesn't provide anything but a decent receiving threat out of the backfield. He doesn't give much in the way of rushing yards, fumbles too much, and is a soft runner for a guy his size.

There's no point in having that kind of change of pace back on the roster in Alridge or Dorsey when our coaching staff refuses to use them.

Right now, based on experience, leadership and proven character Rock has a slight edge as the kickoff returner. Aldridge's got him beat in youth, speed, quickness, elusiveness, explosion and overall athletic ability.

BUT if Aldridge (or Dorsey for that matter) puts up a couple of long kick returns during pre-season and IF he absorbs the play book enough to be a 3rd down presence-- understanding the blocking schemes, catching passes and running draws then Rock's in very serious trouble.

If Aldridge can do all of the above AND ALSO return punts successfully, game over-- Rock is toast.

This should be an interesting battle

I thought of Sproles too after watching highlights of this kid. Should be fun to watch our 3rd stringers in preseason with him, Colt, and either Malcolm Kelly or the other WR we took in the 7th.

Alridge will make this team. I have said it since we signed him.

Not only will he make the team, he could very possibly take over Betts #2 spot if Zorn will give him the chance. The guy has great quickness, speed and good hands, no LB in this league can cover him out of he back field. Everytime this guy touches the ball, he's a threat that can take it to the house. Although I like Betts, he's not half the weapon or threat that Alridge is. For those of you who haven't had a chance to see this kid play, your in for a treat this season.

This kid is pure speed and agility out of the backfield, check it out yourself.

78 yard TD run "Speed"

85 yard TD screen pass "Agility"

60 yard TD on 4th down and 1 "Get this guy involved Zorn!"

Like I said before, Zorn and the rest of the staff love two vets right now: Betts and Collins. If a veteran back is getting cut, it won't be Ladell.

The love fest for Betts needs to stop. How many seasons ago was it when he actually played well? The last two seasons have been disappointing to say the least. I don't see why we didn't replace Betts already?

The love fest for Betts needs to stop. How many seasons ago was it when he actually played well? The last two seasons have been disappointing to say the least. I don't see why we didn't replace Betts already?
You had to go and do it huh? It was nice knowing you. Right now, McD5 probably has contract killers on their way to your house.

McD5 it was addicted who said it! Not me!! :silly:

I don't think he will replace Rock just due to Rock's abilities as a special teams player

Love ur sig Assassin....it will be interesting to see what Alridge/Dorsey and let's not forget Mason do on the field this preseason. With 3 yooung guys trying to make a name for themself Betts and Rock may actually have some competition.

You can tell a lot about a prospect by what they don't say about him. I've never heard anyone with an expert opinion say anything about Alridge except that he's fast. I figure he's a track star, not a football player.

We need a punt returner, maybe that's Dorsey, but I think Vinny was just caught up in the Darren Sproles fad when he signed him. He's not going to help this team at RB.

We don't need a "change of pace back." Z is building a ball control offense. What we need at RB for this WCO is a Steven Jackson clone, a power back who can also catch the ball.

Betts should get more touches this year as Zorn goes for a 60/40 pass/run ratio and tries to keep Clinton's workload down. Portis will be saved for the fourth quarter to hold leads and in power and red zone situations.

You can tell a lot about a prospect by what they don't say about him. I've never heard anyone with an expert opinion say anything about Alridge except that he's fast. I figure he's a track star, not a football player.

We need a punt returner, maybe that's Dorsey, but I think Vinny was just caught up in the Darren Sproles fad when he signed him. He's not going to help this team at RB.

We don't need a "change of pace back." Z is building a ball control offense. What we need at RB for this WCO is a Steven Jackson clone, a power back who can also catch the ball.

Betts should get more touches this year as Zorn goes for a 60/40 pass/run ratio and tries to keep Clinton's workload down. Portis will be saved for the fourth quarter to hold leads and in power and red zone situations.

I disagree. This team definitely needs a change of pace back. Portis and Betts are too similar to each other. Neither guy is a true breakaway guy (anymore for CP), but between the tackles they can beat up a D. Portis is a better blocker, and Betts is a better receiver ... I haven't really seen much that proves Betts is actually better, but people like saying that, so for the sake of argument he's better.

Regardless, the backfield could use that spark. When defenses stack the box having a guy who can bounce one outside, beat a man and head home, is tremendously helpful. Having a guy who can take a screen pass or drag route to the house everytime is something every D will respect, and it'll give us a balance that we haven't had in years.

Now if CP comes out this season trimmer and fast as ever, that may be different. But aside from that, I think this team has been dying for a scat-back to help out. In-fact I've seen as much mentioned a few times in articles around the start of free-agency (I believe).

I disagree. This team definitely needs a change of pace back. Portis and Betts are too similar to each other. Neither guy is a true breakaway guy (anymore for CP), but between the tackles they can beat up a D. Portis is a better blocker, and Betts is a better receiver ...

As runners, Betts and Portis are similar, but nothing is gained simply by adding speed. Can Alridge or Dorsey run inside?

I haven't really seen much that proves Betts is actually better, but people like saying that, so for the sake of argument he's better.

Compared to Portis, Betts is a much superior receiver. If you can't see it, there's not much to say.

Regardless, the backfield could use that spark. When defenses stack the box having a guy who can bounce one outside, beat a man and head home, is tremendously helpful.

If this "change of pace" back can't run inside well, why do you think defenses will allow him to get outside? And if he runs inside and outside equally well, he should start.

Having a guy who can take a screen pass or drag route to the house everytime is something every D will respect, and it'll give us a balance that we haven't had in years.

If you try to "balance" a big play offense with a ball control offense, you won't be especially good at either.

Now if CP comes out this season trimmer and fast as ever, that may be different. But aside from that, I think this team has been dying for a scat-back to help out. In-fact I've seen as much mentioned a few times in articles around the start of free-agency (I believe).

Your opinion is the popular one in this forum and in the media.

As runners, Betts and Portis are similar, but nothing is gained simply by adding speed. Can Alridge or Dorsey run inside?

Well that's a given. Just because someone is fast, doesn't mean they are going to be a great RB, I know that. Also I never said that Alridge was that guy, either. I do like the potential that he may add. I don't know if he'll be that guy though. I have yet to see Alridge play in the NFL, so I don't know what his abilities are.

Compared to Portis, Betts is a much superior receiver. If you can't see it, there's not much to say.

Again, people like to say that. But I've seen CP make some nice plays catching out of the backfield, be they screens, drag routes, RB curls. Though I've seen him drop some balls too, but not enough to consider him a liability. On the other hand, I've seen Betts make some nice plays too. I haven't seen much that makes me think Betts is leaps and bounds better. CP was used as a WR with the Broncos at times, I also know he played WR in HS.

Also, looking at the stats, the only thing I've seen Betts do better than CP (statistically speaking) is YPC, where Betts outpaces CP by .8 yards.

So that's why I ask, in what manner is Betts better than CP at receiver? Overall Betts may be a better receiver than CP, but even still I don't think he's "a much superior" receiver, not to the point where his services aren't replaceable.

If this "change of pace" back can't run inside well, why do you think defenses will allow him to get outside? And if he runs inside and outside equally well, he should start.

Again, I haven't seen enough of the guy to say he's an awesome inside threat, considering he was the starting back in Houston and averaged 10.1 yard per carry, it would seem some of those runs required he run inside. But this is also what Preseason and training camp are for, to see if the guy has those abilities.

If you try to "balance" a big play offense with a ball control offense, you won't be especially good at either.

I'm not saying that we have to be big play all the time, but just because you have a ball control offense doesn't mean you don't make big plays, last year we saw that ball control - big play = score control. In the sense that we couldn't produce points. You have to have balance regardless of what type of Offense you have, a big play O needs to be able to control the ball when it needs to. A ball control O needs to be able to get big plays when the ball control aspect isn't the most viable option.

Your opinion is the popular one in this forum and in the media.

I'll see if I can find the article because I feel like that opinion was also pretty popular amongst some of the Redskins' coaching staff, including Jim Zorn.

And he was hit in the backfield on an inside run. Look what he does to no.15 and then displays more speed.

This kid is a freaking beast, I have seen numerous vids where he has scored on 50, 60, 70 and 80 yard touchdown runs. There's not a defensive player in the league who can catch him when he turns it on. I can't wait to see him run this preseason.

Archived