Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anthony alridge: Long awaited homerun threat?

Hooper

Aldridge can burn! In today's NFL you gotta have an explosive return man. No disrespect to Rock but, I like this kid, ALOT!!!!

Put it this way, with Aldridge returning kicks / punts, we are probably looking at +7 points per game just from consistantly good field position alone. The winning formula has always been an offense that can put up 21 points a game or better combined w/ a top 5 defense = wins.

We need this dude.....

HAIL

Compared to Portis, Betts is a much superior receiver. If you can't see it, there's not much to say.

I guess that I am one of the guys that just doesn't see it.

For example, last season Portis had more receptions for more yards than Betts. Two seasons ago Portis had two times as many receptions and yards as Betts.

Now I'm sure that you will say that Portis definately got more attempts than Betts. But wouldn't that also mean that the coaching staff is just as confident in Portis' ability in catching the football out of the backfield as Betts?

I hope he makes the squad somehow. Also, that if he does, he can remain healthy. thats a pretty small dude running amongst behemoths on the field. I'm sorry, but I wouldn't mind seeing Rock go. he's done a tremendous job for us, but i think its time to change things up a bit. Although, who do we have to return kick offs now that thrash and possibly rock will be gone?

Hmmmm

I think a back like Aldridge or Dorsey is needed. CP, Betts and Rock to me are all basically the same type of runner we need a different look and a different type of threat. If I was betting on either making the team I would pick Aldridge more upside.

all the hating on rock shows how quickly we as fans can forget what he has done for us.

rock may not always break off a big one for a TD, but the man constantly puts us in good field position and occasionaly on the other side of the 50 yard line.

whenever rock was back to return, i knew we would be starting around the 30 yard line or better, and for the most part this was true.

all the hating on rock shows how quickly we as fans can forget what he has done for us.

rock may not always break off a big one for a TD, but the man constantly puts us in good field position and occasionaly on the other side of the 50 yard line.

whenever rock was back to return, i knew we would be starting around the 30 yard line or better, and for the most part this was true.

It's not hating, we all want the best for our squad, and if there are positions on the roster that can be upgraded, we want to see that happen. Especially since our offense has been so suspect for a while now. Yeah Rock puts us in decent position, but what if that is mainly because of our blocking on special teams? Maybe if we put someone back there with some actual speed, we can get more production out of that area. We cant just be keeping players on the roster for 20 years just because they have a nice personality. You do that for the Monks and Greens of the organization.

It's not hating, we all want the best for our squad, and if there are positions on the roster that can be upgraded, we want to see that happen. Especially since our offense has been so suspect for a while now. Yeah Rock puts us in decent position, but what if that is mainly because of our blocking on special teams? Maybe if we put someone back there with some actual speed, we can get more production out of that area. We cant just be keeping players on the roster for 20 years just because they have a nice personality. You do that for the Monks and Greens of the organization.

i wasn't even targeting you specifically, just all the rather disrepectful comments i saw about rock throughout the thread.

i'm all about upgrading the position, and hope this alridge guy can be amazing for us.

but lets at least respect the rock for what he has given us thus far. there are far worse kick returners in the nfl.

i wasn't even targeting you specifically, just all the rather disrepectful comments i saw about rock throughout the thread.

i'm all about upgrading the position, and hope this alridge guy can be amazing for us.

but lets at least respect the rock for what he has given us thus far. there are far worse kick returners in the nfl.

Nawww, I didnt take it like you were targetting me, I just responded to your post. And yeah I agree, there are definitely worse returners then Rock. If anything, we need a new punt returner. No way ARE is our punt returner this year. Please let Dorsey earn that job.

Nawww, I didnt take it like you were targetting me, I just responded to your post. And yeah I agree, there are definitely worse returners then Rock. If anything, we need a new punt returner. No way ARE is our punt returner this year. Please let Dorsey earn that job.

yea ARE has gots to go. I can't count how many times I nearly broke my TV watching him return punts.

For example, last season Portis had more receptions for more yards than Betts. Two seasons ago Portis had two times as many receptions and yards as Betts.

Now I'm sure that you will say that Portis definately got more attempts than Betts. But wouldn't that also mean that the coaching staff is just as confident in Portis' ability in catching the football out of the backfield as Betts?

You obviously realize that the stats argument is unintelligent, but you made it anyway, predicting my response. And no, it doesn't mean the coaches are just as confident in Portis as a pass receiver. It means nothing except that they aren't going to pull Clinton and substitute Betts every time passes are called so as not to tipoff the defense.

I have to agree with Oldfan here. From looking at both players, Betts is definitely the better pass receiver. Betts seems to get more out of the catches he gets. It is something you don't see simply from stats.

I think we should have traded Betts when he had trade value. It would have been better for him as well. he could have had a chance to make a name for himself somewhere else instead of occupying the role of CP's shadow and relief.

Now we have a stable of runningbacks, and no trade value in Betts. Unfortunately, Rock will be cut, though I would rather keep Rock and cut Betts. i think the production is similer between the two, Rock is cheaper (not by much) and we need a change of pace back in Alridge.

I keep reading about how we need a "change of pace" back. Will someone explain to me how defenses are thrown off balance by substituting a fast, outside runner for a slower, inside runner in a one back offense?

The D is simply going to adjust depending on who's in the backfield. It's not a problem for them.

If Alridge can catch as well as Betts then he could supplant him. However, I haven't heard if the kid can catch or not.

Judging by his college numbers, he can. Aldridge had 42 receptions for 428 yards and 5 TDs in 2007 for the University of Houston, including an 86 yarder. That's in addition to 1,597 yards rushing on 259 carries, 6.2 YPC average, and 14 rushing touchdowns. That's a hell of a productive season.

I keep reading about how we need a "change of pace" back. Will someone explain to me how defenses are thrown off balance by substituting a fast, outside runner for a slower, inside runner in a one back offense?

The D is simply going to adjust depending on who's in the backfield. It's not a problem for them.

Alridge is a slashing, quick back where as Portis has become a pounding, hard hitting, line moving back with the ability to break one. The pounding he has taken under Gibbs has detracted from his speed. Alridge would be killer getting passes to the flat and finding room to build up a head of steam.

I think we should have traded Betts when he had trade value. It would have been better for him as well. he could have had a chance to make a name for himself somewhere else instead of occupying the role of CP's shadow and relief.

Now we have a stable of runningbacks, and no trade value in Betts. Unfortunately, Rock will be cut, though I would rather keep Rock and cut Betts. i think the production is similer between the two, Rock is cheaper (not by much) and we need a change of pace back in Alridge.

Betts had trade value? The trade value of running backs in the NFL is relatively low. We saw that a few years ago when Alexander and Edge were on the trade market and there were no bites. In recent years we've had Michael Turner, but he was outstanding as a backup. Thomas Jones was used as fodder to trade up in the 2nd round.

It is another thing to have to look for and think about for the defense. Not to mention that it isn't as easy to adjust to a real fast guy in the backfield, especially when you got used to the previous guy. It is like how mixing changeups and fastballs makes baseball pitchers effective. Sometimes, you know that it is coming but you just can't catch up to it.

Betts had trade value? .

yeah, back in like 2006/07 he had value when he went for over a thousand yards in six games. Yes, he had value. I even remember rumors of Betts and a conditional pick to the Jets for Vilma. We let that ship sale though.

Aldridge will be hard pressed to push Rock off the roster. Even though Rock is a special teamer that can barely get an offensive play in. For those that think Betts is a better receiver than Portis; Portis has become Riggo over the past two seasons. I dont see any way that the slimmed down Portis cant be a better receiver than Betts. I remember Portis with maybe a drop or two, but Portis is a game breaker type back that added twenty plus pounds to be Riggo II for Gibbs II. He relished his role as a fullback and looked to make contact not avoid defenders; that will change now that he has slimmed down.

yeah, back in like 2006/07 he had value when he went for over a thousand yards in six games. Yes, he had value. I even remember rumors of Betts and a conditional pick to the Jets for Vilma. We let that ship sale though.

Uh, no. Betts was going to be a FA at the end of 2006, so they had the choice of letting him go or resigning him. They chose the latter.

Once he was given a new deal, he wasn't going to get traded. So no, Betts has never had trade value for us.

It is another thing to have to look for and think about for the defense. Not to mention that it isn't as easy to adjust to a real fast guy in the backfield, especially when you got used to the previous guy. It is like how mixing changeups and fastballs makes baseball pitchers effective. Sometimes, you know that it is coming but you just can't catch up to it.

You are mangling an analogy. The change of pace is effective for a pitcher only when the batter is surprised. If the pitch is tipped off, he'll kill it.

In football, the defense knows what's coming with personnel packages in the one-back offense. That's the point I was making . Because they know, the "change of pace" angle is ineffective.

If Portis is in the backfield, force him wide. If Alridge is in the backfield, force him inside. There's no mystery.

Aldridge will be hard pressed to push Rock off the roster. Even though Rock is a special teamer that can barely get an offensive play in. For those that think Betts is a better receiver than Portis; Portis has become Riggo over the past two seasons. I dont see any way that the slimmed down Portis cant be a better receiver than Betts. I remember Portis with maybe a drop or two, but Portis is a game breaker type back that added twenty plus pounds to be Riggo II for Gibbs II. He relished his role as a fullback and looked to make contact not avoid defenders; that will change now that he has slimmed down.

When he came here from Denver, Portis was the worst RB pass receiver in the NFL. He deserves credit for improving his skills. He's now average. But, IMO, Ladell has the second best hands on the team after Cooley and he runs precise patterns. Portis doesn't.

Clinton's weight has little bearing on the skill involved with running patterns and catching a football.

Archived