Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anthony alridge: Long awaited homerun threat?

Hooper

Honestly im really hoping one of these running backs steps up and cracks into the roster. Nothing against rock or betts but i want some new blood back there.

You are right, it's about time to move on.

I dunno if Betts gets the axe this year, but I could see Rock getting cut.

:2cents:

No way he [Alridge] supplants Betts. The two veterans Zorn has become enamored with are Betts and Collins. It's Al Saunders all over again.

Given the chance to play, both Betts and Collins looked better than the starters. Maybe Al knew something.

Betts has never been a better back the Portis

If the OC uses the RB as a receiver and not often in pass protection, like Westbrook is used by Andy Reid, I think Ladell is a better all-around threat than Clinton.

I'm glad we got that established. The problem a lot of times people act like rumored trades are all deals that the team seriously considered. There are plenty of them that never were considered. There are many deals that were seriously considered that we never hear about.

Now that we have that established:

How did he have value with the Jets? Were the Jets even interested in Betts? A rumor doesn't prove that a player is coveted by a team, because a rumor can be started by anyone. Actually, that trade rumor sounds rather similar to the Briggs trade, yet we seem to be paying MORE for Vilma. It doesn't make much sense.

To me, that looks like someone looking at needs of teams and putting together the dots. Hey, we needed a linebacker, the Jets needed a running back. How could we make it work?

No, the problem wouldn't have been Vilma's contract (which was still his rookie deal) but the 3m in cap space (and maybe other guarantees) we would have had to eat to trade Betts. There is a reason why players like signing bonuses, outside the fact that they get the money now. It is also contract protection from getting cut or traded.

Well, if you aren't, don't get personal.

Except that we gave him a new contract and whatever value he did have would have been offset by that contract. So again, I think his trade value has been lacking his whole career, in part due to the actions of the team.

Course, we are conjecturing that the team was interested in trading Betts at any point in his career. That is something we can't confirm.

With all that said, you cannot without the shadow of a doubt prove that there was no trade talk of Betts, and your only proof of that was a new contract that was friendly to whatever team he gets traded to. At least I can quote the NY media as my source, you dont even have confirmation that there was never ANY trade talk between the jets and Washington, until you can prove that, your words hold as little value as mine... less actually because you have no prooof that ther was NEVER any trade talk as you claim.

Also, if you believe there was no truth the the Briggs talk then that explains your head in the sand stance on any rumor that comes around. You are right though, we are both arguing over conjecture.

I got personal because you attacked my post without cause, for simply bringing up a past rumor that had gotten a lot of play at the time. Dont act like a prick and I wont get personal. Also, I never once said Vilma's contract would be a problem. The cap friendly contract I was talking about would be Betts contract that the jets would take on. Sorry for any misunderstanding with that. It would be an incredibly friendly deal for the jets to take on.

In response to your statement:

"How did he have value with the Jets? Were the Jets even interested in Betts? A rumor doesn't prove that a player is coveted by a team, because a rumor can be started by anyone."

Yes, the jets were interested in Betts reported by the New York media. So yeah a rumor can be started by anyone but when it is propelled through multiple faucets of NY media, it tends to gain a little traction. You just blindly believe that there was absolutely no talk of Betts for Vilma, and apparently no talk for Briggs. Nope, never happened because Vinny said so, or because it never came to fruition... right? Please. Until you have proof beyond the shadow of a doubt that there was absolutely no trade talks, then you are just talking out of your ass and taking a bully stance to anyone that doesn't agree with you.

If the OC uses the RB as a receiver and not often in pass protection, like Westbrook is used by Andy Reid, I think Ladell is a better all-around threat than Clinton.

Betts is a pretty good RB but there's no way he could carry this team like Portis has in the past. He's not a threat who can take it to the house like Portis is and it seems he has gotten worse the last 2 seasons. God forbid if Portis went down, we wouldn't have a running game or any other back who can block some of these elite LB's, and JC would be a target every Sunday for blitzing defenses.

If you think JC struggled the end of last season, he wouldn't have a chance without some kind of threat in the back field. This is what Alridge brings to the game, they better wrap this kid up in the backfield or he will be off to the races, "and their not going to catch him".

Betts is a pretty good RB but there's no way he could carry this team like Portis has in the past. He's not a threat who can take it to the house like Portis is and it seems he has gotten worse the last 2 seasons. God forbid if Portis went down, we wouldn't have a running game or any other back who can block some of these elite LB's, and JC would be a target every Sunday for blitzing defenses.

If you think JC struggled the end of last season, he wouldn't have a chance without some kind of threat in the back field. This is what Alridge brings to the game, they better wrap this kid up in the backfield or he will be off to the races, "and their not going to catch him".

I have Portis graded as an above-average running back, a liability in the passing game except in protection of the QB. I think he's been a workhorse, steady and reliable. But, I haven't seen the RB who is a "threat to take it to the house" that you and others have witnessed. The stats certainly don't bear you out.

As for Betts getting worse these past two seasons, I haven't seen that either. Until hurt last season, he looked as good as I've ever seen him.

I will get excited about Alridge when I see him do something that shows something more than his speed. Trung Canidate had blazing speed.

Trung Canidate had blazing speed.

Ouch... but good point. I remember catching glimpses of him last year in a Denver preseason game before he got hurt and thinking "Denver is gonna churn another one out" (another one meaning another 1000 yard runner). I like his speed, but id like to see his field vision at work this preseason.

This guy looks great. be a great addition to the team if he can stay healthy... not sure I would trust him on punt returns, takes an attitude to stand and catch when 10 guys are bearing down on you definitely has the speed though.

Kick returns would be ok with me.

The door maybe open for Betts

Archived