Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The aura of this Sacha Baron Cohen character stinks!?

WhoRUSupposed2Be

As I have stated in other threads, I think the rate at which people get offended is ridiculous. We should all be able to joke and laugh about our differences and at ignorance as well. That is all Cohen is doing is showing how different we are combined with how ignorant we are about those differences. My wife died laughing when she saw the "Gayby" shirt and her best friend is a lesbian. Her friend would have laughed too if she had been with us. Its just funny stuff and what better way to unite people than through laughter?

Didn't you hear? It's ok for black comedians to make fun of white people and Latino people, but it's not funny for anyone to make fun of black people.....except black people apparently.

Oh boy. The difference is that Blacks have had to sit through racial stereotypes like whites wearing blackface, and the Amos and Andy routines for years. So it does sometimes touch off a nerve when whites make fun of blacks.

It all has to do with history.

For the record, I laughed at the Cohen trailer.

Oh boy. The difference is that Blacks have had to sit through racial stereotypes like whites wearing blackface, and the Amos and Andy routines for years. So it does sometimes touch off a nerve when whites make fun of blacks.

It all has to do with history.

It is pretty amazing that so many white people just don't understand that. Oh, and I also laughed at the trailer and don't find anything wrong with it.

It is pretty amazing that so many white people just don't understand that. Oh, and I also laughed at the trailer and don't find anything wrong with it.

cuz it was sooo long ago, i mean damn its not liek your parents lived through it or anything?

oh they did...well i mean whatever obama is president now anyways its clearly a thing of the past

oh they did...well i mean whatever obama is president now anyways its clearly a thing of the past

I don't want to change this thread into yet another race debate, but racism is not a thing of the past. But we have come a long way. Obama being president is a prime example.

Sorry but I wasn't around then, neither were you nor was the OP or anyone that's posted in this thread so far. I understand social sensitivities just fine but this movie (from the trailer) doesn't fall in that category.

Did you stop to think that one race making fun of another might touch off a nerve regardless of who's doing it?

Time to stop making excuses and move on.

Pretty sure im the only person in my age range that thought Borat was so dumb i turned it off and never finished it.

Interestingly, Jackass is one of my favorite movies ever. :D

Damn, you liked Jackass but couldn't get into the Ali G Show???

You missed out on some comedy gold.

"we're looking for a lock-smith..."

my office was like meercat manor with folks trying to see who was laughing.

:rotflmao:

That looks hilarious!

I saw Jonah Hill's name in the credits...wonder where he is going to pop up?

I'll start by saying I haven't seen these bits, or any of the previews for Cohen's new movie yet.

So, these comments may not hold true for them. I didn't find the Jew jokes in Borat to be hateful.. I thought they were funny,, making more fun of how backward his town was more than anything else. (Running of the Jews was hilarious.. and being trapped in the Jew House afraid to eat a sandwich was even better.)

I think that it's PC (hate that term, btw) to be outraged over this sort of thing, but I also think that this humor and these jokes exist in all walks of our society and even among the most "enlightened" of all of us.

I think most of the time rather than being based in malice they are based in caricatures of what goes on around us all the time. I think it's pretty obvious to tell when "humor" comes from a base of racism or hate. Chappelle's whole act is race based just about, and it's hilarious. It's not based in hate. It makes fun of the hate. (The blind black Klansmen is terrific satire in every sense of the word.) When he's not making statement pieces like that, he's just poking fun at all the subtle differences in all of us. (The Playa Haters Ball.. classic. CLASSIC.)

We're all very familiar with one another these days, and even though we try to sometimes deny it, there are large differences in the various cultures that make up America. There's humor in there that doesn't have to be construed as racism.

I think we've forgotten how to laugh at ourselves and we're all too quick to take offense at even the smallest perceived slight.

~Bang

:applause::applause::applause:

I'll start by saying I haven't seen these bits, or any of the previews for Cohen's new movie yet.

So, these comments may not hold true for them. I didn't find the Jew jokes in Borat to be hateful.. I thought they were funny,, making more fun of how backward his town was more than anything else. (Running of the Jews was hilarious.. and being trapped in the Jew House afraid to eat a sandwich was even better.)

I think that it's PC (hate that term, btw) to be outraged over this sort of thing, but I also think that this humor and these jokes exist in all walks of our society and even among the most "enlightened" of all of us.

I think most of the time rather than being based in malice they are based in caricatures of what goes on around us all the time. I think it's pretty obvious to tell when "humor" comes from a base of racism or hate. Chappelle's whole act is race based just about, and it's hilarious. It's not based in hate. It makes fun of the hate. (The blind black Klansmen is terrific satire in every sense of the word.) When he's not making statement pieces like that, he's just poking fun at all the subtle differences in all of us. (The Playa Haters Ball.. classic. CLASSIC.)

We're all very familiar with one another these days, and even though we try to sometimes deny it, there are large differences in the various cultures that make up America. There's humor in there that doesn't have to be construed as racism.

I think we've forgotten how to laugh at ourselves and we're all too quick to take offense at even the smallest perceived slight.

~Bang

Well said. IMHO, those who find his comedy offensive take themselves way to seriously. He pokes fun at stereotypes (a lot of which are true) and exposes peoples prejudices many times without them even realizing it. A comedic genius.

Well said. IMHO, those who find his comedy offensive take themselves way to seriously. He pokes fun at stereotypes (a lot of which are true) and exposes peoples prejudices many times without them even realizing it. A comedic genius.

I can laugh at a good joke or well delivered comedy act, but he just does not make me laugh. He never has, through all of his various characters and routines.

Some folks don't like the Daily Show and Stephen Colbert: I don't like Sacha Baron Cohen's act. :-)

But hey, to each their own! If I don't like his material I just change the channel.

Archived