Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Obama's Cairo Speech

Rdskn4Lyf21

I listened to it on the way in to work. I'm fairly critical of Obama, but all in all it was a good speech. Some points he missed on. Like the idea of getting rid of all nuclear weapons. Or the fact that america doesn't impose democracy on other countries.

I didnt see the speech, but I'm glad that he is doing some things in an effort to repair relations in the ME.

That said, his continuation of the ME foreign policy that has escalated the angst about our perceived (note I said "perceived") imperialism will sadly negate most lofty "words" from our President, regardless of his good intentions.

I thought it was very good. But then again, I'm viewed by many ESers as being in the tank for Obama. :)

But you are ;)

Honestly I think very few hacks post on this board. It's just that most people's opinions align a certain way and instead of going after their "points" they are deemed hacks by others. This is on both sides.

i thought it was good was well. I was suprised how he came down a little tough on Israel.

That's the one thing that is sticking with me and I can't understand. How he described Muslims and all of their great contributions in our country and the wars they've fought in alongside of Americans. Also, there was a mention to Nobel Peace Prizes.

Does he have a clue that the real unsung heroes are the Jews? All the **** they've gone through and they've always pulled through. Also, 23% of individual Nobel Peace Prizes have gone to the Jews, yet they only make up about .25% of the world's population. THAT is contribution....

Thanks

It was a nice speech full of high minded idealism that needed to be said.

A appeal to the better nature and hopes of many for a better world.

But I fear as usual REALITY will intrude with leaders following their own baser instincts...yes I'm a pessimist:)

In both this speech and his policies I find him naive and unprepared.

I sincerity hope I'm wrong

Does he have a clue that the real unsung heroes are the Jews? All the **** they've gone through and they've always pulled through. Also, 23% of individual Nobel Peace Prizes have gone to the Jews, yet they only make up about .25% of the world's population. THAT is contribution....

I know. He should have gone to Cairo and told everyone, "Look, we like you Arabs and Muslims, but the real heroes are the Jews. They've been dealing with your crap for so long it's amazing."

This is Obama's biggest strength: Giving a good speech.

And I thought it was a good one. I'm not sure how realistic it all is, but it certainly set a different tone than that part of the world is used to.

A lot of Obama critics compare him to Jimmy Carter. I don't think that's right. I would say he's more like Woodrow Wilson. Hopefully he's not as naive.

Speaking as a Jew- thanks.

As to the strategy of the speech. I think it's the old you gather more flies with honey than vinegar thing. That part of it was just sweet talking them to make diplomacy easier and attempt to reduce tensions.

Sadly, I don't think you earn any brownie points by talking about how beset and productive Jews are. I think it's counterproductive to talk well about Jews in the Middle East and any such talk is seen as an underhanded slap at Muslims.

I actually like that he is also adding more pressure on Israel in this sense. How can the U.S. play arbiter if it is viewed as completely one-sided. On top of that, for any real progress, all the parties will have to get uncomfortable and start rethinking all their assumptions. There are things that Israel should not and must not give up, but to break this hostile impasse at the very least a new vocabulary must be invented.

I still believe that the Israelis historically have been the only ones attempting to negotiate and compromise in (mostly) good faith, but also think that recent talks have been a charade that neither party buys.

This is Obama's biggest strength: Giving a good speech.

And I thought it was a good one. I'm not sure how realistic it all is, but it certainly set a different tone than that part of the world is used to.

A lot of Obama critics compare him to Jimmy Carter. I don't think that's right. I would say he's more like Woodrow Wilson. Hopefully he's not as naive.

If he ends up like either of them, we're in deeeeeep doodoo

I like this part:

But that same principle must apply to Muslim perceptions of America. Just as Muslims do not fit a crude stereotype, America is not the crude stereotype of a self-interested empire. The United States has been one of the greatest sources of progress that the world has ever known. We were born out of revolution against an empire. We were founded upon the ideal that all are created equal, and we have shed blood and struggled for centuries to give meaning to those words – within our borders, and around the world. We are shaped by every culture, drawn from every end of the Earth, and dedicated to a simple concept: E pluribus unum: "Out of many, one."

I really enjoyed the speech. Quite a bit of frank talk that needed to be said, in particular towards Israel.

So far so good on his approach to solving the crises in Palestine/Israel. Better then I ever could have expected with him having Rahm in his cabinet

I agree. I also liked his points on women's rights.

I like this part:

But that same principle must apply to Muslim perceptions of America. Just as Muslims do not fit a crude stereotype, America is not the crude stereotype of a self-interested empire. The United States has been one of the greatest sources of progress that the world has ever known. We were born out of revolution against an empire. We were founded upon the ideal that all are created equal, and we have shed blood and struggled for centuries to give meaning to those words – within our borders, and around the world. We are shaped by every culture, drawn from every end of the Earth, and dedicated to a simple concept: E pluribus unum: "Out of many, one."

Love that part too. He references "E pluribus unum" in a lot of his speeches as well.

There was also an undercurrent of "cut out the bull****" aimed at all sides. :)

Yes, a perfect example of the high minded idealism that needed to be said. :D

Welcome back to reality, c'mon in the waters warm..if a bit crowded:evilg:

Love that part too. He references "E pluribus unum" in a lot of his speeches as well.

He also dropped a killer Thomas Jefferson quote:

“I hope that our wisdom will grow with our power, and teach us that the less we use our power the greater it will be.”

He also dropped a killer Thomas Jefferson quote:

“I hope that our wisdom will grow with our power, and teach us that the less we use our power the greater it will be.”

Now if he would practice what he just preached, we'll be better off. Wish he hadnt used his power to nationalize more businesses that any other POTUS in history.

Archived